Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 08:43 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,448,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
This one is pretty cut and dry from listening to mark belling... The guy had no passion and soul in life... The few pictures they could find of him he was unkept and didn't shave, groom, put on clean clothes, or wear deodorant. He only gambled for the comps and not for enjoyment, and only played video poker. He had no other hobbies or interests... His houses were empty, etc. When one has no passion in life, they tend to get jealous of those that do and more likely to snap and "go postal" over something. This has probably been building inside his head for years, perhaps precipitated from one traumatic event or happening gradually from having a bad childhood devoid of friends or being bullied.

The ability to be spontaneous and make friends easily is a skill that everyone who has it thinks that everyone must have and they just dont understand how these types are wired. Its not really these peoples faults, and yet we just can't let them off the hook because like a child molestor, their psychology is not fixable barring extensive personal development work spanning years.. They will always be this way and the cure is life in prison.

That girl who did the slender man stabbings is not cured and she should not have been able to plea bargain a release so easily. She will need intense psychological work and should have been institutionalized for a few years at the very least. There are stories of her crawling under the tables talking to ants where she was being held, and yet they call her cured. Its the same thing each time... They always say the perp is crazy and claim they cured them.
Interesting. Has some merit too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 10:18 AM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Not mass murder but they do commit murder. How could they? When do you see them congregating in groups of thousands?

All I'm saying is that we all like to think we're above certain things but in fact we are not.
It;s not about being above anything. Even in caveman days I doubt mass murder for no reason at all was committed. This is really not a natural state IMO, or we'd have seen this type of thing through our history. Murder of one person is not the same as this. So why are we regressing?

Old 10-04-2017, 12:16 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,107,305 times
The shooters at Columbine, Connecticut & Aurora were all young white males with a history of previous psychiatric treatment with SSRI's.

Due to age; Stephen Paddock is more closely aligned to Robert Dear (57) from the Planned Parenthood shootings. That shooting happened 4 miles from my house & news video clips from his court appearances have been shown on local news, with him bundled up in his suicide watch blanket, incomprehensibly rambling about being a "soldier for the babies" & such. He has just been found incompetent to stand trial & I doubt he is in any condition to provide insight.

Besides Dear; James Holmes (Aurora) is one of the very few perpetrators that have survived their own mass shootings & as such, he is a valuable (& rare) resource.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:28 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
I saw a great interview between Alan Alda and Dr. Robert Sapolsky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8xEUYrb74

Old 10-04-2017, 05:02 PM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
The shooters at Columbine were.....young white males with a history of previous psychiatric treatment with SSRI's.
Eric Harris was prescribed Luvox, an antidepressant often used to treat obsessive compulsive disorder. Dylan Klebold was not on any medication (he did suffer from clinical depression). Harris, according to an FBI profiler, showed psychopathic traits even at the young age of 18.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:07 PM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Hopefully they can get something out of the GF.
Starbucks barista says Las Vegas shooter was known for being mean and 'rude' to his girlfriend:
Starbucks barista: Las Vegas shooter 'abusive' to girlfriend - Business Insider

Quote:
I hope she got some good lawyers who coached her before today so she won't "mistakenly" incriminate herself. But she has to know something don't you think?
Something doesn't add up here. She knew him as a "kind, caring man..." ?
Girlfriend of Las Vegas gunman says he was a 'kind, caring' man who gave no clue of impending violence - LA Times

Old 10-04-2017, 07:38 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,929,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
The terrible tragedy that happened in Las Vegas has people searching for the answer of why did he do it?

In my mind, we cannot answer that question, and I'm not sure how close we are. When one points at a terrorist with proven ties to a group like ISIS, many times that's how the question gets answered. But that's more of a cause than an answer. It's the individual's brain that dictates the why. The understanding of mental illness has a long way to go, and I'm pretty sure those in the field know that. The brain is complex. We don't understand how signals really work, and what could cause a person to process their world in such a manner to carry out such an act.

Are we years, decades, or more from really beginning to target an understanding of the brain at a deeper level? Or will it even happen in our lifetime?
Nope, we'll never answer it. All we can do is speculate. One of the most significant things I learned in pharmacy school is how little we know about human physiology. I'm of the opinion that we just touched the tip of the iceberg in our understanding, that we're decades perhaps even many lifetimes away from a real good understanding, that is if the Lord allows us to exist in the modern civilization we have now; things can very easily spiral out of control until we find ourselves back in another dark age where we'll have to pretty much start from scratch again. I feel that it would be good for people to become more familiar with history and realize that life as it is lived right now should never be taken for granted. Civilizations rise and civilizations fall; there will be dark ages ahead of us, just as there will be periods of great advancement. The only question is when will these things happen?

Old 10-04-2017, 09:11 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,837,091 times
I've read that the shooter made his money by developing algorithms that beat the video gambling odds. That speaks to high IQ which made me think of the Unabomber. Possible that the shooters brain was always twisted yet intelligent and something just snapped mentally and he went into the void, planning then executing his plan. No different than an aneurysm blowing out, his was mental blowout.

I have been around people who gave off vibes like they were controlling their emotions very hard. Outwardly they look passive but the vibes were like electric power lines crackling. Always male in my experience and I stay away.

Psychopaths are extremely good at masking their feelings, or perhaps he had no feelings and the shootings were not that real to him. He wasn't man enough to do it in person, he was far away from danger to himself. A coward without affect.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:29 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
I've read that the shooter made his money by developing algorithms that beat the video gambling odds. That speaks to high IQ which made me think of the Unabomber. Possible that the shooters brain was always twisted yet intelligent and something just snapped mentally and he went into the void, planning then executing his plan. No different than an aneurysm blowing out, his was mental blowout.

I have been around people who gave off vibes like they were controlling their emotions very hard. Outwardly they look passive but the vibes were like electric power lines crackling. Always male in my experience and I stay away.

Psychopaths are extremely good at masking their feelings, or perhaps he had no feelings and the shootings were not that real to him. He wasn't man enough to do it in person, he was far away from danger to himself. A coward without affect.
I totally agree that Paddock was a coward. I also suspect this guy was a psychopath.

However can you cite your source for the story about his developing algorithms?

Old 10-04-2017, 09:45 PM

914 posts, read 643,579 times
I wonder if the fact that so many people are on pharmaceuticals is the reason behind the violence in the US. People don't act this way in other countries for no apparent reason. Please spare me the lectures on those religious fanatics. That can be blamed on core beliefs. But most of the insanity here in the USA seems like sport these days. We might want to look at the rate of mental related medication prescriptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology