Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 11:17 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times

Advertisements

I would not be surprised if they find something in the autopsy. Brain tumor or CTE. His brother and mother had not spoken to him in over a year so may not have been aware of the changes. The girlfriend will have some insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 11:21 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
You are making the assumption that people who perform acts of mass murder are mentally "ill" or "defective". Not sure about that. Humans are naturally barbaric from what I can tell. We have a thin veneer of civilization that's about it.
By the definition of human nature, and why we are the dominant species over time, I agree. But I think knowledge and evolution have changed perception and reality.

If you read my prior post I am trying not to tag it as an illness. Defective doesn't necessarily mean mentally ill. Take my own heart issue for example, SVT. After many visits to the cardiologist and electrophysiologist, they pinpointed a spot in one of the two electrical signal loops around my heart which can be cauterized to potentially stop SVT episodes. That's the evolution of medicine. The brain being exponentially more complex means we just haven't developed the technology to read all of the various signals in the brain. All I am saying is maybe in the future one could find a broken signal and fix it like the heart. Pure speculation on my part.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:27 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Maybe a million years ago, but evolution from cro-magnum made us more “civilized” once our brains developed more conscience. Mentally ill, defective, sociopaths, etc. are exceptions to the rule obviously.
Have our brains directly developed "conscience" as such? Where - in theory at least - is it located in the brain? Conscience seems to evaluate things in terms of its social environment and to be very influenced/shaped by socio-cultural forces.

Is there some basic/fundamental "conscience" which has evolved which is in all human beings I wonder.

Feral children raised with animals don't, to my knowledge, exhibit such a refinement (among others.) I wonder if GearHeadDave's comment is really out of the ball park.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:32 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Why? We are still chimpanzees that's why and it will not change soon.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:58 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Why? We are still chimpanzees that's why and it will not change soon.
Do chimps commit mass murder of their own?

Old 10-03-2017, 06:18 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
It is sad what happened in vegas but I am not surprised.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:10 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
A lot of people with NO measurable mental illness do this because they're done with life, usually after a big loss, and they want to advertise their plight in a way that will make them unforgettable...and famous. Plenty of people get desperate for attention after retirement.
I don't know. Few of these mass shooting suspects seem to fit a type. The Orlando shooter was 29, nowhere near retirement, definitely mentally unstable, and had a political motive. The San Bernardino shooters pledged their allegiance to the Islamic State and probably knew they were engaging in a terrorist act, the Charleston shooter claimed race as his motive, the Isla Vista (UC Santa Barbara) shooter was angry at the world and women specifically, the Sandy Hook shooter was severely mentally ill, and the Aurora, CO shooter had psychotic episodes. I just can't imagine a sane person taking out their rage this way.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:25 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I just can't imagine a sane person taking out their rage this way.
Unless he had a political or religious motivation. That is still to be determined. He supposedly sent a lot of money to the Philippines which is heavily Islamic.

We shall see.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:28 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
Most 64 year old men don't convert to ISIS, usually it's impressionable youth. The oldest ISIS convert in America on record was in their early fifties. Which isn't to say he didn't, but the odds are against it.

He had been gambling outrageous amounts of money in the days leading up to the shooting. I have to wonder if he lost so much he decided life wasn't worth living. Maybe he was mad at Las Vegas and wanted to take it out on someone. But the fact he had accumulated at least 47 weapons makes me think it had to be premeditated way, way before it got to that. It typically takes time to build an arsenal like that, retrofit weapons, and gather so much artillery.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:41 PM

4,208 posts, read 4,457,265 times
I think we need to ask the same people who spent a lot of time researching the brain with another mass shooter.....
Insight | James Holmes had Links to DARPA, the Salk Institute and the DoD | unknowncountry

Take a moment and ask whether our current mass media will do its job in looking into the recent mass shooter in Las Vegas and his ties to anything related to DOD and / or 'other agency' activities or will the narrative quickly and conveniently be steered linearly away from looking at ALL aspects of his life and associations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology