Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 06:25 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
I know it sounds like a topic for Politics and Controversies but, after reading the article I really feel like it belongs here more. I found it a compelling read:

Why the Vegas Shooting Happened and Why Men Keep Doing This
I think cause and effect has been confused here.

It does seem the two are co-related. Lonely angry men are the ones who aren't engaged in play.

The author states that men who aren't given opportunities to engage in playful behavior tend to become lonely, and then become angry, and then a few of them become violently angry and kill people.

I think it's the opposite.

I think lonely angry men don't tend to try to seek opportunities for play. And we as a society have more free time for play than anytime in the history of human existence, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 06:30 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Also, it's time to stop saying that availability of guns, and availability of guns capable of rapid fire isn't contributing to this.

Throughout history there have been crazy angry guys and they take out a few folk here and there. Never has there been a time when a guy like this was able to acquire basically a military grade weapons arsenal in a hotel room. Not the same thing as a fella with a pistol or a club.

So yes. If we continue to offer military grade weapons to civilians, this will probably escalate and the next mass shooter will kill even more people.

Because there is a basic human desire to leave a mark on the world. And if your mark can't be something positive and wonderful, it's going to be the ugliest bloodiest stain anyone ever saw.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:58 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I think there are a TON of factors why people commit mass murder with guns and I beleive #1 is our American fascination with guns and violence.

The right to bear arms is an essential part of life in America and ironically is probably the best check so far on authoritarianism, but is also the cause of so much pain and suffering through needless violence. Being that it is SUCH a large part of our society as a whole, it makes sense why people with issues would gravitate toward the repeated rituals of a mass shooting. It's easy to get guns either legally or illegally. It causes tons of damage. It's a distant/detached/cowardly form of violence. It is in large part the lack of humanity/empathy or the refusal to see it. To be so detached, to dehumanize.

#2 In our current society we feel like we don't belong. We isolate ourselves and white men especially are feeling more and more isolated in "their own," country. There is something to be said about tribal banding, and behavior. Where we need to feel needed. And important to a group. When you're a failure; or if you have a lot of money and nothing to spend it on, or no internal drive to do anything, that can bubble up and over.

#3 Anger. This relates to #2 a bit, but I think as I have personally experienced that anger can manifest itself externally and internally. I've have and am dealing with how to manage anger issues. They can in part be due to a chemical imbalance, lack of sleep, bad diet. But also due to, as the article suggests, the lack of "play," OR more aptly the lack of a meaningful hobby or action. Running has become my meditation although it's one part of managing my behavior. Finding a creative outlet can be a cathartic form of meditation in its own way.

#4 Actual internal psychological issues. Which through copy cat actions can be much more susceptible to #1, especially if these people are detached. PTSD, depression, childhood issues and just plain being unable to cope in the world need to be addressed. This "controversial" statement may get buried, but if the presidential election is a reflection of our country's mental state as a whole, then it's quite obvious we have issues. We wanted someone to save us and would believe anything to get there, the hate, the fear, the brashness. There's a reason why that was attractive. This isn't an indictment on any one party, but rather the reflection of how confused we are as a country. The mantra used to be "pull yourself up," and yet we have a lot of people looking for a savior, who are sadly not knowing how to do it for themselves.
You have left out the most obvious answer. Guns are used most often to commit mass murder because they are the tool that performs the task best. You can bang a nail into a wall using a wrench, a rock, or a frying pan but a hammer does it most efficiently. Likewise, you can kill people with a knife, that rock, or a bus but a gun does it most efficiently. People have created tools to make tasks easier since man existed, why is the question even being asked?

Old 10-10-2017, 11:39 PM

120 posts, read 72,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, there is a disagreement of a sort. While shooters seem to be "popular", those lists show that "mass murder" is "nothing new". Further, the use of fire is even more easier than the bullet, as in the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Land_fire . As in that case, fire is also deadlier.

Well, as I said, it isn't pretty (or nice) being a spy......but someone has to do it.

It is what I am, be it the Net, be it doing surveillance on someone, be it arriving under a dock with scuba to listen in on someone with listening equipment, whatever.

Where it is me the individual or the USS Seawolf off the coast of the USSR planting listening devices (Book: Blind Man's Bluff), that's spying, that's stalking.

FURTHER, when I was in NROTC, my classmates, some of them, considered me unhonorable because in hand to hand, I would use my dance moves, out turn people, and attack on their backsides.

An Infantry General set me straight........there is no honor in a street fight.

So seeing things from that angle, where one takes the advantages they can get instead of fighting head on, at equal odds, that's just plan smart thinking.

After all, the good guys such as SWAT hit with overwhelming force, not one on one.....to say nothing of their sniper.

He told you that there is no honor in street fighting because he knew you would get your ass kicked. That's why you do the cowardly thing and lurk in the shadows. I don't think what you're doing is "plan smart thinking" lol

Seriously what's smart about it? What if people find out that you do strange things to spy on people? No one will ever trust you again. Even if you quit. People won't trust that you have the ability to mind your own business and will think that it's possible that you will try to invade their privacy as well because that's what you do. It's what you are into. Because you are just wacky like that.

If you are a parent it is really really not smart to do weird stalker spy stuff.
Because if kids find out about it they won't be comfortable around your kid.
Kids like to do stuff that they aren't supposed to do sometimes. Pretend that they are going to the movies when they are really going to a party etc.
Your kid would be considered a liability. A risk. A bad investment.
Anything that kids do that they don't want grown ups to know about your kid will be excluded from. Because your kid could get them caught. Because you go to extremes to spy.
You even do it underwater. Not an extreme any of their parents would go to. So you creep them out.
So your kid will not be able to have the same child hood experiences that most kids have.

Plus you would have to be into voyerism to do what you do.
And most people consider people into that to be freaks and mentally ill.
So it would also be really embarrassing for a child to have a parent that likes to watch.

So gross.

Ps "listening equipment"
Lol

Old 10-11-2017, 01:38 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You have left out the most obvious answer. Guns are used most often to commit mass murder because they are the tool that performs the task best. You can bang a nail into a wall using a wrench, a rock, or a frying pan but a hammer does it most efficiently. Likewise, you can kill people with a knife, that rock, or a bus but a gun does it most efficiently. People have created tools to make tasks easier since man existed, why is the question even being asked?
Quite frankly, I think I would rather have the nut resort to guns than to fire.

Fire is much more easier than guns and takes out many, many more people, one way or another. Ie,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_G...ains_wildfires

Dealing with a shooter is lot easier than dealing with wildfiires.

If people are ready to go off the deep end and off some people, let it be with something other than wildfires which may only take a box of matches. If they don't have access to guns, what possibly makes one think that they won't turn to some other "proven" method?

It may not sound all that great of letting Belial live so not to deal with Satan, but look at the levels of destruction of the two. The LV shooter was done in a matter of hours while we are fighting fires for weeks.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:11 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinley View Post
He told you that there is no honor in street fighting because he knew you would get your ass kicked. That's why you do the cowardly thing and lurk in the shadows. I don't think what you're doing is "plan smart thinking" lol
No, because he knew I am not one to be engaged.

Quote:
Seriously what's smart about it? What if people find out that you do strange things to spy on people? No one will ever trust you again. Even if you quit. People won't trust that you have the ability to mind your own business and will think that it's possible that you will try to invade their privacy as well because that's what you do. It's what you are into. Because you are just wacky like that.
That's the spook business for one. We find answers. We aren't the only ones, of course, but we are the ones they may pick for fact finding jobs.

Quote:
If you are a parent it is really really not smart to do weird stalker spy stuff.
Because if kids find out about it they won't be comfortable around your kid.
Kids like to do stuff that they aren't supposed to do sometimes. Pretend that they are going to the movies when they are really going to a party etc.
Funny you should mention that one. When Mom was on her last years and being attended at home, my step niece (brother's step child, now divorced from her mother) asked if she and her friends could stay at the house. I was in charge of affairs so I talked about it with my older brother and it was agreed that Mom's attendants were not to be tasked by this. So then I called my niece's mother....who knew nothing about it....and that quashed the matter forever.

What did my niece expect? The family knows I am an ex spook, that I will confirm all affairs that they are as they are presented.

Quote:
Your kid would be considered a liability. A risk. A bad investment.
Anything that kids do that they don't want grown ups to know about your kid will be excluded from. Because your kid could get them caught. Because you go to extremes to spy.
Well, A and B. A: https://img0.etsystatic.com/041/0/89...88768_mk5u.jpg
B: I am childless.

Quote:
You even do it underwater. Not an extreme any of their parents would go to. So you creep them out.
So your kid will not be able to have the same child hood experiences that most kids have.
Well, let's not confuse what I may do professionally with how I might spy on family. For one thing, there is no need for all that since so much information is out there on the Net. You make it sound like sending out a Su-25 to spy on someone. Why bother..........we have drones for that now.

Quote:
Plus you would have to be into voyerism to do what you do.
And most people consider people into that to be freaks and mentally ill.
So it would also be really embarrassing for a child to have a parent that likes to watch.

So gross.

Ps "listening equipment"
Lol
I am rather at a loss to how you got to that conclusion.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:08 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinley View Post
Maybe it's off topic. Maybe it's not. No one can say at this point because no one knows for sure what the motive was or the mindset of SP when he committed that crime. He may have thought he was at war with the people at the concert and that he was taking out the enemy. And if he was working with anyone else they now consider him to be brave and heroic and worthy of a medal.

There are many people that think that North Korea should be bombed to take out the enemy. They view the citizens that may get killed in the process as collateral damage that's worth it for their cause. Their cause of protecting the world from NK.

Who knows what this guys cause was?

Until anyone can define what his motive was no one can really define what's off topic and what's not.
He may not have viewed himself as a mass murderer. He may have viewed himself as a soldier in combat. And if he was working with others, that's how they viewed it too.
That's a bit of a leap but in that case you are simply labeling the shooter as a terrorist, and the motivation would be terrorism - that is the targeting of civilians in order to achieve some political or social goal, no matter how wacko. There is currently no proof of that but who knows. Why didn't you say so in the first place?

Terrorism in terms of asymmetrical warfare exists when one group is inferior in military might to the other, but I see no connection to the North Korea situation as obviously our target would be military and leadership, while in terrorism the target is purposely civilians.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:11 AM

1,047 posts, read 726,949 times
trying to delete this post and keep one below. not working. thank you kindly.

Last edited by fly_me; 10-11-2017 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: trying to delete whole msg. not working.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:14 AM

1,047 posts, read 726,949 times
Default MGM sells stock 1 month before 1 OCTOBER

This is the only compelling reason I have read so far: https://disobedientmedia.com/2017/10...-in-september/

Old 10-11-2017, 07:25 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY_ME View Post
This is the only compelling reason I have read so far: https://disobedientmedia.com/2017/10...-in-september/
Ok I don't get it - what does MGM stock repurchase have to do with the shooters motivation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology