Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 08:46 PM

7,649 posts, read 4,603,757 times

Advertisements

One of those weeks....where you just hope the Hindus are right and maybe I can come back as a Dolphin or something.

I know we're on New Years kicks etc. Let this be your anonymous board to brag fully and surely. You've done something good. I know you have. What's something good you've done lately? Maybe you put up a friend or family member, or donated time at a food pantry, or you helped train a co-worker on how to do something. Maybe it was showing mercy and compassion to someone that didn't deserve it.

Anything counts here. We need a board filled with the awesomeness you guys bring. I hope it's the biggest thread on the board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 03:21 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,029,346 times
Everyday it seems like there is another self inflicted wound to this country. Mostly by our government. In the mix of all the hate throughout the day there is still a slice of society that is genuinely good.

So my daily good deed is just talking to people and listening. Service with a smile, politeness, understanding can turn any situation around for the better. If I see anything out of place I do what I can to fix it. Pick up a piece of garbage, hold a door, get out of someone's way or make room for them, smile and say hello to strangers. Reachout. Don't be a pessimist, everyone has a story.

I read this Psychology Forum more these days. I think this is important to see what motivates people to do what they do in the Politics and Other Controversies Forum.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:37 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,909,885 times
I'm trying to think if I'm doing good things and came up with a list:

1. Being patient and non-reactive with a difficult student, someone who may be high-functioning autistic, though parents frequently won't tell you;
2. Not being assertive and insisting on my own way in small matters, but instead, try to see things from others' perspective.

I can think of a few more instances, but what it boils down to is taking the focus off myself and moving it to other people; it's much more interesting, kinder, more insightful. You get so scared sometimes that things are not going to work out the way you want them to, it's all me, me, me. But "me me me" is really not the source of happiness. Love is. Understanding and compassion is.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 01-13-2018 at 08:45 AM..

Old 01-13-2018, 10:49 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
Funny you should mention Hindu's We have a young couple that have adopted us as their American father and mother. We help them a lot. We watch their 5 year old and gave her the best Christmas at our house. They spent the night and it was the best Christmas ever for me. I also did a big Thanksgiving dinner with all of the trimmings and fed the whole staff at the Indian restaurant and one of my friends who joined us. It was the best Thanksgiving I've had in a long time as well. I helped another bestie by driving them back to Florida after Thanksgiving and I helped them out financially. I'm a giver by nature.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:25 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
I'm helping a young friend of mine (25) get out of a minimum wage life and begin a career. I've been coaching him and introducing him to various people for informational interviews and helping him with applications and resumes. He's my 2018 project I guess.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:57 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
One of those weeks....where you just hope the Hindus are right and maybe I can come back as a Dolphin or something.

I know we're on New Years kicks etc. Let this be your anonymous board to brag fully and surely. You've done something good. I know you have. What's something good you've done lately? Maybe you put up a friend or family member, or donated time at a food pantry, or you helped train a co-worker on how to do something. Maybe it was showing mercy and compassion to someone that didn't deserve it.

Anything counts here. We need a board filled with the awesomeness you guys bring. I hope it's the biggest thread on the board.
I helped to get a drunk guy out of my friends house during a party last night when he was starting to harass girls and break crap. He almost swung at me a couple of times but we were able to get him out without serious injury to anyone at the party.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:10 PM

7,649 posts, read 4,603,757 times
After a week of getting home very late, my kid was bustling to see me. But of course I had tons of errands stacked up. She's been watching the DC/Marvel series so I decided we needed to have superhero names and our Adventure Group would go on missions. I'm happy to report that we've successfully recovered and delivered alien technology to our key ally (Wife has her phone), we were also able to resupply our base with water (we get the 5 gallon waters) and while we were there we had a mystery of finding the secret location for a reward. (No joke, the decentralized UPS thing is a bit nuts) and retrieved a package containing Christmas presents from my family. Now, after our trip to the gold factory (bank) we were able to get some secret materials at the black market (Michaels) and it's up to her in order to save our group by completing her top secret project (science project due Monday). Superheroes eat whatever they want so we got her favorite, which is sushi. In the meantime we got coded correspondence out to various family members that I haven't returned calls to (and truly saved one will be visiting relative from a mistake) and made plans for next weekend to jam with a local musician. Now while she works on said secret science project, I'll be preparing the home to receive our ally (clean the house as mother's side auntie is coming to pick her up for a sleep over) and I should have just enough time to pull together a date night for the Mrs.

So far it seems to be working. I'm being called because superheroes don't take breaks, so what am I doing on the computer?

Old 01-13-2018, 05:33 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,029,346 times
Quote:
After a week of getting home very late, my kid was bustling to see me. But of course I had tons of errands stacked up. She's been watching the DC/Marvel series so I decided we needed to have superhero names and our Adventure Group would go on missions. I'm happy to report that we've successfully recovered and delivered alien technology to our key ally (Wife has her phone), we were also able to resupply our base with water (we get the 5 gallon waters) and while we were there we had a mystery of finding the secret location for a reward. (No joke, the decentralized UPS thing is a bit nuts) and retrieved a package containing Christmas presents from my family. Now, after our trip to the gold factory (bank) we were able to get some secret materials at the black market (Michaels) and it's up to her in order to save our group by completing her top secret project (science project due Monday). Superheroes eat whatever they want so we got her favorite, which is sushi. In the meantime we got coded correspondence out to various family members that I haven't returned calls to (and truly saved one will be visiting relative from a mistake) and made plans for next weekend to jam with a local musician. Now while she works on said secret science project, I'll be preparing the home to receive our ally (clean the house as mother's side auntie is coming to pick her up for a sleep over) and I should have just enough time to pull together a date night for the Mrs.

So far it seems to be working. I'm being called because superheroes don't take breaks, so what am I doing on the computer?
Sounds like the Incredibles! I am looking forward to the Incredibles 2.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:59 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
Quote:

I saw a bumper sticker one time that said "The more I know people, the better I like my dog". I think a lot of us feel that way sometimes. People can suck, and occasionally you see them do something that kinda renews your faith in the human species.

I try to always be a nice person and do the right things, but I am no Saint. I have my faults and failings. But I think that is true of most of us, we are mostly good, but occasionally that little Devil on the left shoulder wins out.

Another problem is that the world has changed, we aren't in 1950 Mayberry any longer. There are times when I see a situation where I would like to help someone, but you rethink it because of potential danger. An example is seeing a motorist broken down, you would love to stop and help, but you never know if that person will rob and kill you or not, so you drive on , and maybe call the police and tell them someone needs their assistance. I hate it being that way, but it is.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:33 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Nicest things I have done happened years ago, as opportunities arose.

One involved housing someone a year, one involved tutoring for free 2 hours a week for 5 years, one involved threatening to quit a job which saved an employee reporting to me from being wrongfully terminated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology