Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 07:47 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,775,660 times

Advertisements

Many of us who call ourselves introverts will attest that we live in our heads a whole lot.

On the surface, it might seem like a good thing. You're a deep person. You think things though before making big decisions. You have a good grasp on your -- and others' -- motives and behavior. You're more self-aware than most people you know.

But it's not without its downsides. Living in your head is conducive to overanalyzing things to death. You're either harping on the past or anxious about the future. You often sweat the small stuff.

I find that the less I'm stuck in my head, the happier I am. There are times where being deep in thought should be encouraged -- like when you're solving a problem, taking a quiz at school, writing a letter, bantering with a friend about the cosmos, or playing Jeopardy at home. In other words, there's no harm in mental rigor when the exercise is intellectual in nature.

But when it concerns one's problems, or when you're in an unhappy or anxious state, living in one's head can be awfully detrimental.

I used to not want to have kids because I feared I would no longer be able to live in my head.

Now one reason I want kids is so that I'm NOT always stuck in my head and can worry about/tend to someone else's needs, which, on the whole, makes me a whole lot happier.

Can anyone relate? Does living in your head make you feel depressed? Anxious?

Last edited by Wordsmith12; 11-27-2017 at 08:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 08:42 AM

6,384 posts, read 5,009,673 times
So, so, SO much. I've always had real problems with being late (not way late, but consistently a few minutes late), forgetting where I put things, and not reading instructions. I am a pathological head-liver.

I'm so glad my current job is doing background checks, which involves rigorously analyzing documents for tiny and rare but crucial discrepancies and errors, because that's not my natural state at all - I'm much more naturally inclined to daydream all the time and not pay attention to details. It's slowly helping me develop the in-the-moment skills most people seem to be born with.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:51 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Yes, that's a good description. I was a person who lived in my head from the time I was young. People often told me I didn't seem as if I was "there" when I was somewhere, and they were right.

I forced myself to be more outgoing and social, but I can still easily go back inside my head, and when the outside world gets to be too much, as it sometimes does, I go back in.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:36 AM

Great replies so far.

And just because you don't want to live in your head all the time doesn't mean you want/need to become an extrovert.

I know for a fact that I will always be introverted and contemplative -- it's in my DNA. At my niece's birthday party on Saturday (to which she invited lots of people), I was feeling utterly drained after three hours of non-stop music and chatter. I left that place with a huge headache.

However, I'm striving as much as I can to live in the moment. Too much nostalgia makes me depressed. Too much worrying about the future puts me on edge. The point is to not think much about what you can't control (future) or change (past).

Old 11-27-2017, 09:52 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,649,439 times
Yes, that is the only place I do not have to hear anyone's critical works, insults, etc.

In the words of Lyle Lovett:

… I live in my own mind
Ain't nothin but a good time
No rain just the sunshine
Out here in my own mind…

Old 11-27-2017, 10:13 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Yes and No. I live in my head far too much so I escape out of it. To the point I can't practice 'mindfulness' which is supposed to be good. To brush my TEETH I have to turn on the news for something to focus on besides whatever I am ruminating over or whatever.

I have to have a comedy show on to laugh my way through house chores, or music to jam (and dance) through chores.

My jam is work or a project or researching something of interest. Pulls all focus.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:22 AM

378 posts, read 230,357 times
I'm no introvert, but I find myself lost in my thoughts and ideas more times than I can count. I prefer the abstract over the material/physcial world and my mind is a haven for the theoretical. I tend to have an hyperactive imagination and need dozens of outlets for it (painting being my favorite). Overall, I find living in my head quite delightful. It's only when my haven starts churning out radical, destructive thoughts it becomes a nightmare.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreams2013 View Post
It's only when my haven starts churning out radical, destructive thoughts it becomes a nightmare.
Indeed, a distinction should be drawn between daydreaming and overanalyzing/ruminating. The latter tends to have adverse effects on one's psyche.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:43 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,660,994 times
My reply is going to be different from anyone else's.

But i do often live in my own head. I live in this fantasy world that doesn't exist OR hasn't happened yet. For example, I like to budget my money on future potential earnings five years from now. So in 2022, I would like to allocate this much to expenses, this much for leisure, etc... But the problem is that i don't make that type of money yet and it's not guaranteed that I will make that type of money. But I like to "pretend" that I will one day. (although i am taking steps of getting my CPA license so im betting on myself so I don't think it's too farfetched)

And the other thing I like to fantasize about is my family. I don't have any immediate family on my own; no wife, kids, etc... I would like to have those things and i often fantasize about having a family but i have major trust issues with women. I'm currently working on them, but it's "funny" that i dream about a family when i cannot trust my would be S/O.

I guess I live in my head and fantasize about these things because: 1)-I have a goal to shoot for and a desire to reach the next step in my life. Any obstacle I have right now, I MUST WORK REALLY HARD to overcome. 2)-It keeps me happy. If I didn't fantasize from time-to-time, I would be kinda depressed. I have a lot going on for me but I feel like I haven't done enough in life. And while I am working on these things, having a "fantasy life'' keeps me "sane.''

Old 11-27-2017, 11:48 AM

1,289 posts, read 938,640 times
When you say "live in your head a lot" do you equate that with "stuck in my head", "depressed", "conducive to overanalyzing things to death"? I'm not clear on what you mean by "live in your head a lot". I guess I'm saying that a whole lot of help to humanity has come from people who are very, very, focused and brilliantly imaginative. They are known to be in their heads a lot. Maybe what you're talking about is being stuck in negative thoughts -- that's what you're finding detrimental. Is that right? If so, I think being in one's head a lot and being stuck in one's head a lot are two totally different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology