Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 05:35 PM

6,305 posts, read 4,199,353 times

Advertisements

Putting aside I just didn't get around to it for a while I just don't feel I owe viewers personal info or pics beyond what I state on cd posts. I certainly would never post my photo because people can easily do a reverse image search and find me. I have already had one very unpleasant experience because of this years ago and learned my lesson on online safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 07:58 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
I really like that when you make a comment I find interesting, I can go to your profile and see a picture of you. It helps me picture you more as a person. I'm an Artist by profession, so seeing pictures truly helps.
OK, artsy one, here you are :

Old 01-23-2018, 05:00 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Sometimes I am very nice, sometimes I am 'nice enough', sometimes I am neutral, and sometimes I 'give as good as I get'. I don't like bullies of any kind (not here and not in real life either) and I try nicely (in somewhat appropriate language) to stand up to them. If they give me a or a I like to return the 'favor'.
We must be twins separated at birth.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I vent here sometimes, about my "real" life, and also reveal certain things that I wouldn't in real life, and I would just rather remain anonymous rather than have someone I know be able to come across my profile, recognize me, and read what I've written about, so I keep my profile closed to friends only.
Okay, yeah... Well that would be a genuinely understandable reason.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:00 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
There are plenty who don't like me and I get jabs, barbs, attacks a lot and those usually don't have any info in their profile. OFTEN I don't know if I'm talking to a Female or Male and it's good to know that I feel. I often send a DM and ask them.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:12 PM

I know a lot of people don't have any information listed in their profile, but they're not the ones I was talking about. I was talking about people who do have information listed but only allow "friends" to see it. Most of the information is so general in nature that I wonder why people even bother posting it if they're only going to allow a handful of people to see it. And generally, they don't have a large number of friends.

So do any of you ever start threads you wish you hadn't?

Old 01-28-2018, 04:08 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I know a lot of people don't have any information listed in their profile, but they're not the ones I was talking about. I was talking about people who do have information listed but only allow "friends" to see it.
I think that the "accessible only for friends" statement is one C-D uses as a polite way of saying "this profile is private."

I agree that most of the ruder posters tend to have private profiles. Possibly they don't want other people to know much about them...

Old 01-31-2018, 02:19 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I can understand why you would like to have the additional information; however, I don't think it is possible to determine whether someone is trustworthy and authentic because they post a picture or other information in their online profile, some or all of which may not even be truthful.
This is the truth and for me, I feel as if reading previous posts of the various 'authors' here I can determine better what their 'true self' is about when the 'metal is to the petal'. Sometimes we human beings can be...downright nasty with provocation, myself included as I absolutely don't see myself as 'above the fray'. Also, I find that we can be gentle, kind and compassionate when we come across an anonymous person here that has a heartfelt concern or situation that they're brave enough to share and looking for suggestions and advice.

I think my posts speak for themselves and I don't need to list all the biographical, geographical, religious, ethnic, blah-blah-blah, etc., etc., etc. Many of 'us' post regularly and although there may be the 'johnnie come lately' who may not be familiar with 'who' we are I consider it akin to 'dating'. If anyone is that 'interested in getting to know me' or what I'm about take the time and read a spattering of posts and one will get the 'gist' of...all that makes me so very,very special.

Quote:
We must be twins separated at birth.
LOL, I knew it! We absolutely may have been switched at birth because my sister and I (12 months apart) are the night and day, north and south, east and west of each other. I would always look at my mother and say, "Where in God's name did you find her and what possessed you to bring her home with you? You had perfect me () and somehow I was just 'not enough" for you and you THOUGHT you'd get lucky again with a 'perfect little girl' companion for me to grow up with." Sheesh!

Quote:
I know a lot of people don't have any information listed in their profile, but they're not the ones I was talking about. I was talking about people who do have information listed but only allow "friends" to see it. Most of the information is so general in nature that I wonder why people even bother posting it if they're only going to allow a handful of people to see it. And generally, they don't have a large number of friends.

So do any of you ever start threads you wish you hadn't?
Not to worry, it's all good. I have seen threads that I wish I hadn't read or worse...responded to. You're fine (and not because I think you may be my original sister, either).

Old 02-01-2018, 10:18 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Quote:
Okay, I'm preparing myself for an onslaught of criticism for bringing this up, but here goes...

I read a lot of posts without ever looking at the profile of the poster who wrote them. Occasionally, though, I am so impressed by someone's post that I have to see what kind of incredible (i.e. brilliant, compassionate, insightful, witty, eloquent, etc.) wrote it. Conversely, I will sometimes read a post where my reaction is the exact opposite, and I find myself asking, "Who would write such a thing!?!? Is anyone actually that uninformed, bigoted, intolerant, malicious, etc.)?!?!?! Strangely, the people whose posts I am most impressed with have a profile page that allows me to get to know a little bit more about them. But when I read a post I am appalled by, I can't believe how often I click on their name, only to see that their profile is "accessible only for friends."

I can understand that there are some valid reasons why a person might not want to make his profile public. One of my favorite mods has a private profile, and I can see why this is. But under most circumstances, I don't get it. There is really know way for a person's profile information to give away his true identity. So why have it be "only for friends"? And why is it that those whose posts tend to be so rude and offensive are most often the ones who don't want anybody except for their "friends" to know anything about them?
Control?

Maybe they made some enemies or created some situations for possible retaliation? You know, someone writing something on their wall they don't want written or seen by others. They want to keep the option to have people comment on their wall, but wish to control the "who" of it.

I guess I get it.

I think it's best to keep your nose clean, and enjoy the perks of not alienating or angering too many people-although sometimes in order to stay true to self, you must.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Due to my ‘profile’ info, and contesting a local bond measure on a C-D thread... I was Targeted by a local Fire Dept and got many late night threats to ‘burn my house down’. So... best to consider you will have plenty of enemies right here on C-D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology