Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 08:34 AM

199 posts, read 165,870 times

Advertisements

I was eating with my grandmother and some of her friends a few weeks ago and when I left, I told my grandmother "bye, I love you." When I was walking out to my car one of her friends also walked out and said in a snotty tone of voice "bye, I love you" and started laughing.

Not that it really bothered me all that much as it just made her look stupid, but I wonder why some people openly mock others. Isn't that pathetic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 08:38 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,065 times
Could just be a rude person, or a person who is jealous of your close relationship with your grandmother.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:43 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,192,051 times
Wow, but yes could be jealous of your close relationship with your grandmother. I agree it was pathetic.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:50 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,904,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Wow, but yes could be jealous of your close relationship with your grandmother. I agree it was pathetic.
One of your grandmother's friends? Another old person? My impulse would be to slap the $hit out of them, but since they're old, don't. Instead, tell them, if you weren't so old, I'd slap the $hit out of you.

Are you sure she's a friend? I think not. What would your grandmother say if she had heard it? Did you tell her?

Or maybe they're mentally disabled, in which case, ignore it.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:10 AM

6,931 posts, read 218,372 times
They are likely either jealous or just not used to having such a loving relationship with family.
Be proud that you are this way, and never change.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:20 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,381,571 times
I tend to think that anyone who reacts in the way that this woman did (regardless of age or gender) has something buried inside that is nagging away at them. Perhaps your admonition of love for your grandmother brought back reminders of this woman's lack of love from her own family. Perhaps she was never able to learn to love. Perhaps she has a mental disorder. Who knows? In any event, it is a direct reflection of something not quite right in this woman's world. It has nothing to do with you.

While it can be upsetting when someone does this, I think the best thing is to believe that the problem is theirs, and let it go.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:50 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,987,929 times
That is WEIRD. Especially coming from a grown-up.

Are you absolutely sure she wasn't just saying she thought it was cute?

Old 01-28-2018, 11:21 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
There are MANY Mean Spirited people in the world. Keep saying "I love you". We can't hear it too much.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-28-2018 at 12:12 PM..

Old 01-28-2018, 01:38 PM

519 posts, read 582,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
I was eating with my grandmother and some of her friends a few weeks ago and when I left, I told my grandmother "bye, I love you." When I was walking out to my car one of her friends also walked out and said in a snotty tone of voice "bye, I love you" and started laughing.

Not that it really bothered me all that much as it just made her look stupid, but I wonder why some people openly mock others. Isn't that pathetic?
I am assuming you are relatively young (granddaughter) so I am going to offer you some free advice: The sooner you learn there are nasty people in this world AND you need to IGNORE THEM the SOONER you can be HAPPY. Well, in truth, have a shot at being happy anyway...

Old 01-28-2018, 01:47 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,063 times
I think the person was mocking the fad of so many people saying 'love you' or 'I love you' at the end of many cellphone conversations and in-person meetings.

The fad started with saying 'love you' at the end of cellphone conversations - and many people started copying each other in saying it - and it is and was often said to people who one is just casual friends with and to people with whom there is no deep history or to people with whom there is no established relationship.

Sometimes 'love you' is said at the end of conversations to see if the other person will say it back to you, as a plea for evidence of regard or as a test of whether the person likes you and feels strongly enough to say 'love you' back.

The fad caused an epidemic of many people saying 'love you' so often - and often not to people who are anywhere close to being a loved one in one's life.

It is said so casually these days at the end of cellphone conversations and in-person get-togethers that it has lost some of its value and meaning.

Last edited by matisse12; 01-28-2018 at 02:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology