Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 12:00 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,407,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Are you aware that eye color cannot be changed surgically? All you have to do is buy colored contacts, OP.
Actually, there are now ways to change your eye color without colored contacts using lasers:

New Technique Changing Eyes From Brown To Blue Sparks Debate

Strōma, he said, uses a low-energy laser to disrupt a thin layer of brown pigment covering the front surface of the iris, initiating a gradual tissue-removal process through which the body digests and eliminates the treated pigment. He said the laser breaks the pigments into the microscopic particles that are small enough for the body to remove.

Homer said in the surgery, the patient is seated, resting his chin in a little cup and looking at a tiny light when the laser treats the iris. The natural blue eye is revealed in 30 seconds, sometimes left with a “limbal ring,” the dark pigment around the outer perimeter of the light iris.

Here's a picture of someone who had the procedure done on half of one eye, crazy huh!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 12:18 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,934,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
A large part of having a lottery in the first place is to publicize the winners so that people will "see themselves in that role" and keep buying tickets, so it's slim to none that you're going to keep it private.
No, see my post, #6. Six States allow anonymity: Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, North Dakota, Ohio and South Carolina. And the lawsuit that one winner won may open the door to others.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:18 PM

24,912 posts, read 9,667,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalecriminale View Post
As robbed or have myself held hostage by anyone who finds out.

Being me, I'd probably get plastic surgery (change my eye color from brown eyes to blue, lighten skin, get a hair transplant etc...) After that I would buy a small apartment in an upper-middle class area nearby me and just buy some legal recreational drugs while at the same time, enroll in a small college to get a job in IT.
Lighten your skin? Sounds like self-hatred to me. Sammy Sosa and Michael Jackson envy you.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:49 PM

20,473 posts, read 14,836,153 times
I would not tell anyone. If some people just happened to find out, I'd deal with that in whatever way I had to. It would be difficult for me, because I have the sort of relationship where I tell my Mom everything, but she would be the top person on the list of people who need to never know, as she would most definitely try to take advantage. She'd be on my doorstep tryin' to drain me dry within a week.

I would pay off my student loan debt (which isn't that much, but it's the last of my debt) and save out some small amount for indulgence, and then sock the rest away in a variety of investments. Mostly I'd commit to some period of time to think about any bigger goals or plans, changes in my way of life, before committing any significant amount of money to them.

EDIT: But I'd never win, since I don't gamble.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:02 PM

35,256 posts, read 31,612,831 times
Aside from family, I may not tell anyone in my local area. I'd be perfectly fine to just leave town and start over anonymously in a new area.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:31 PM

8,100 posts, read 10,153,685 times
I would not tell a soul. You tell anyone, and you might just as well tell everyone, cause they will know soon enough.

Would love to quietly do good things and make kind donations. Don't want or need the publicity. The deed is enough for me.

And certainly don't want a busload of leeches coming after me "cause I have all this money and they don't have any and just a little would help them over the hump". Yeah, sure.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:39 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,210,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
No, see my post, #6. Six States allow anonymity: Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, North Dakota, Ohio and South Carolina. And the lawsuit that one winner won may open the door to others.
Look, I would prefer to be anonymous. No doubt.

None of those "big check" ceremonies for me, thanks.

But laws or not, I still think keeping it completely under wraps is going to be difficult.

After all, people talk. People see things. It will be a rare bird that doesn't sing to somebody.

And the flock passes the song.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:08 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,319,837 times
I'd endure the mandatory public exposure to get the check, and then see if I could join the Witness Protection program.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:32 PM

20,473 posts, read 14,836,153 times
"So I hear you won the lottery!"

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

"You were on the news."

"That must have been a different <Sonic_Spork>."

"But there was video. I saw you."

"Evil twin."

"With your face, AND your name?"

"Guess so. Hey. We're breakin' up. I'm gonna need to call you back."

(Does not call them back.)

It would be very difficult to keep quiet...but I know very well how important it would be. People who win big jackpots, very often wind up worse off after a while, the money blown and in fact, deep in debt. Because they change their whole lifestyle around the notion that now they've got plenty of money. It feels infinite. But it's not. I'd have to guard against others AND myself.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:33 PM

13,304 posts, read 8,542,633 times
I've no problem with supporting transparency in a game of chance. I actually live a few miles from a lottery Powerball winner. She doesn't flaunt her wealth or come off as entitled. Her husband though cost her much as the state came back and said... hey that hubby of yours owes back child support. And guess what?? It's being increased from 800$ to 3k,because he can now afford it. Gotta love how the ex-wife now gets more spending money.
My kin are already well off...except my sister. I'd help her and the kids out in a heart beat....
My theory is simple if you didn't keep.in touch when I was in poverty ...then stay away when I gain. So far it's worked
Money does ease one to have less worries on food,clothing,shelter. I've never understood why they don't outright buy the home. Save taxes ,just pay it free and clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology