Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 07:31 AM

17,668 posts, read 17,843,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
The only problem with this plan is that lying is bad. Lying always has a bad outcome. You don't have to share private matters but a tangle of lies is never good.
I have close and distant relatives with serious issues. First uncle is an alcoholic who is literally drinking himself to death. His brother has mental problems and has stopped taking his meds (he once tried to kill himself by setting his house on fire and then going out on the front porch for a smoke). Have a cousin I thought was finally clean offer me $100 for four of my lortab pills after my surgery. Three slightly distant relatives have spent time in Angola prison for crimes including armed robbery and breaking and entering for theft of someone’s home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 07:42 AM

9,602 posts, read 9,910,087 times
I certainly would keep it to myself. The only one who would know besides my wife would be my lawyer and accountant.

Since I would stop working (if the amount is high enough) I would just retire early. As for moving to a new house or buying some toys, I would keep it somewhat modest, but most people would probably just think I'm cashing in investments of some sort.

Obviously if you go from a 3BR ranch to a 10 BR mansion, it's going to be harder to explain.

The OP mentioned Euro's in his post, but in the states you could apply for an LLC then use that name to claim the prize.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:18 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,924,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I have close and distant relatives with serious issues. First uncle is an alcoholic who is literally drinking himself to death. His brother has mental problems and has stopped taking his meds (he once tried to kill himself by setting his house on fire and then going out on the front porch for a smoke). Have a cousin I thought was finally clean offer me $100 for four of my lortab pills after my surgery. Three slightly distant relatives have spent time in Angola prison for crimes including armed robbery and breaking and entering for theft of someone’s home.
That's unfortunate but it doesn't justify lying, IMHO.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:57 AM

6,624 posts, read 6,573,665 times
Hell no! I'd shout it from the treetops! They'd hear me all the way down to the southern States lol.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:04 AM

17,501 posts, read 22,261,458 times
I'd complain about the taxes, I'd start putting Republican signs in my yard, I'd start listening to Rush Limbaugh, I'd complain to the valet about how poor the gas mileage is in my Rolls Royce......nobody would notice!

Seriously, I have known 2 sizable winners. BOTH had publicity issues because they couldn't stop telling the story! If you shut your mouth then that is 1/2 the battle.

Need a story to explain the wealth, pick one:

1. uncle sold his farm to walmart for a supercenter and left you the money
2. you invented industrial glue in a college science class
3. your grandfather worked at the original ikea
4. you were an angel investor in facebook
5. you owned a cab company in NYC in the 90's (before UBER)

All boring, nobody would care and the story goes away. The more boring, the less questions.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:07 AM

17,501 posts, read 22,261,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
That's unfortunate but it doesn't justify lying, IMHO.
Sure it does if your safety is at stake!

Or if you don't want to officially lie then send them a postcard from a far away destination and say how you are so excited to have moved here (Alaska, Hawaii, London). If questioned later you could say you moved to a more boring place and couldn't find a post card to tell anyone about the most recent move.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:17 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,834,632 times
First off I wouldn't win, my corporation would be the winner, and my attorney would be collecting the winnings and going on TV. Second I would tell no one about it. Third a whole lot of that money would go to friends and animal shelters through the corporation. I would be just going on vacation when I visited other properties that we owned, and if some friends traveled with us, I would tell them that I rented it. I would still be the same old me, only a whole lot more fun.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:27 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,455,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I've no problem with supporting transparency in a game of chance. I actually live a few miles from a lottery Powerball winner. She doesn't flaunt her wealth or come off as entitled. Her husband though cost her much as the state came back and said... hey that hubby of yours owes back child support. And guess what?? It's being increased from 800$ to 3k,because he can now afford it. Gotta love how the ex-wife now gets more spending money.
So child support is money for her to spend? I suppose - but you're assuming his kids get NOTHING? And it would be better to cut HER off than believe his kids would get some of that benefit they deserve?

The guy is a piece of crap that he hasn't even been paying all along - why is it the EX that gets painted in the worse light? And the wife who won - she chose badly so I guess she deserves to pay his debt to society.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:29 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,132,882 times
I would set up a charitable foundation and give away most of the money. I would prefer to remain anonymous as the lottery winner and as the charitable benefactor.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:35 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,819,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalecriminale View Post
As well as the cash?

I know some people will condemn it as selfish but honestly, if I won (in this scenario €10 million), I wouldn't tell family. I don't have many friends and my family sucks to be honest so I'm not sure if they deserve the news.
Of course they deserve to know you won AND WON'T GET A DIME. That's the fun part of winning right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology