Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 10:50 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times

Advertisements

I have a friend from university, a really good musician, who very obviously, from the time I met them, has an attachment disorder. They were adopted, and it's just so obvious that they can't really bond with anyone, however much they would like to. It's not their fault and I have always forgiven them. I've know them for 30 years, know how they are (not a reliable friend), and I forgive them.

They asked me recently if I'd like to come and visit them in Europe. No way! They'd either not be there when I arrived, or give me the run of their house but not be there. This has happened before and I enjoyed the horses, and the food provided, but they weren't there.

Somehow I'm never angry with them. I'd prefer to be actually friends with them, but they're incapable of that. So I just stay their friend which they appreciate, but I don't expect them to behave as a normal friend would.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 10:57 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
Sounds a tad co-dependent to me but if you are okay with it, so be it.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Sounds a tad co-dependent to me but if you are okay with it, so be it.
No, we don't see each other or communicate that often.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:09 PM

1,348 posts, read 792,306 times
Seems to me that you understand the situation very well and have a mature view of it.

As long as you don't have expectations of more than they are willing to commit to and you still find value in the relationship, then it's fine. Btw, you didn't mention what you do VALUE about them that makes the limited relationship worthwhile to you.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
Seems to me that you understand the situation very well and have a mature view of it.

As long as you don't have expectations of more than they are willing to commit to and you still find value in the relationship, then it's fine. Btw, you didn't mention what you do VALUE about them that makes the limited relationship worthwhile to you.
Well, we attended the same music schools in NY and Houston, spent time socializing in Houston. She thinks I'm a genius (I'm not), and she brags about me to her friends. We've had some serious talks, gotten loaded together, dated some of the same guys, and she really is a brilliant musician, world class.

Her adopted dad is a judge; mine was a car dealer. So we have that class in common. I like her. She's my friend.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:36 PM

813 posts, read 601,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I like her. She's my friend.
In my book this says it all. My friends are all flawed (as am I), and I know which ones can help me, which ones I can help, and which one will help bury a dead body...

I say Forgive her, then forgive yourself for thinking she needs to be forgiven.

Rg

Old 04-17-2018, 01:40 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
I like different friends for different reasons and don't really expect any of them to behave the same way. If they are people worth caring about and maintaining relationships with, that's enough. I prefer not to pigeonhole them too closely in my own mind...just understand how we "fit" and enjoy it for what it is. Seems to work best to adjust my expectations of them rather than the other way around.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:08 PM

723 posts, read 1,005,332 times
Default Great advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
In my book this says it all. My friends are all flawed (as am I), and I know which ones can help me, which ones I can help, and which one will help bury a dead body...

I say Forgive her, then forgive yourself for thinking she needs to be forgiven.

Rg
amazing

Thank you

Old 04-17-2018, 03:22 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,819,117 times
You sound like someone who would make a wonderful friend to good people.
I enjoy your take on life!

Old 04-17-2018, 03:24 PM

6,301 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Sounds like you have accepted them for who they are so I’m not sure what or why you want our thoughts or opinions on your choice of friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology