Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 04:37 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,706,694 times

Advertisements

Howdy, I mean life is good got a wife, a cat, a place to live, and a job.

However, feel trapped at work and in my State my hometown. It's just blah. Trying to go back to school keep getting rejected. Our State has limited higher education opportunities and they are costly. Add in gotta drive everywhere, deal with traffic, and pay for gas. It eats up a lot of your paycheck that and taxes.

With my crazy 3 shift schedule at work just feel burned out. Job's not bad good people I work with and pay is great. Reason kind of stuck there the pay really helps chip away at my credit card bills. The drive to work 60 to 70 miles 4 to 5 days a week is tiring.

I wouldn't mind live in a lower cost of living State with warmer weather. Everything being expensive is a bummer and the cold weather is a bummer. Just feel drained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 04:41 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,673,051 times
Come to TN. 48/50 in tax burden, on top of low COL to begin with. Lovely weather. Winters are just annoying, not brutal at all. Very low stress.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:25 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,706,694 times
See that's where it dredges. I've tried applying to jobs out of State and to no avail. Probably because I don't live there. So basically have to move to a new State with no job in tow, which isn't a sound idea. The only other opition is obtaining a certificate or license for various jobs; makes it easier to move out of State. However, that's something difficult to do now as I need full time work and work all 3 shifts don't have a set schedule. So going back to school is basically impossible. Then what I want to go back to school for I keep getting rejected for. It's just this vicious cycle. As it continues and grows every little thing irks me and makes my mood more sour.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:32 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Why do you keep getting rejected by your chosen program? The fact that "school is expensive" doesn't explain anything.How would you go to school if you don't have a stable shift, anyway? Why don't you have a stable shift? No wonder you're burned out! That is physically stressful. You could be burning out your body's stress reserves.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:17 AM

3,966 posts, read 2,575,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
See that's where it dredges. I've tried applying to jobs out of State and to no avail. Probably because I don't live there. So basically have to move to a new State with no job in tow, which isn't a sound idea. The only other opition is obtaining a certificate or license for various jobs; makes it easier to move out of State. However, that's something difficult to do now as I need full time work and work all 3 shifts don't have a set schedule. So going back to school is basically impossible. Then what I want to go back to school for I keep getting rejected for. It's just this vicious cycle. As it continues and grows every little thing irks me and makes my mood more sour.
My advice is to keep going. Yes, you're stuck but stuck because you have things in place that you cannot give up on. Searching and not finding education is frustrating. Keep searching for an open door among the locked and sealed ones you have found.

I am struggling too. I have no family of my own. No husband, no children, and I keep.getting... older like normal. I too want to return to school to be able to get a higher paying job but...

I moved to go to school but it didn't work out and after SIX looooong years I was finnnnnally able to move back. Now, three years later... still not in school like I thought I would. Still alone, still struggling to find a life worth this struggle.

What I'm doing, trying to enjoy what I do have and keep going to find the answers I need to move ahead. Still, not easy feels hardly doable. Then again, I drove back in a car that kept breaking down and I had no $ to fix. I still made it!

Keep going, appreciate the great things you have and keep reaching for what you want/ need. Best wishes to you!

Old 05-03-2018, 10:00 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,341,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why do you keep getting rejected by your chosen program?
This might explain that question:

Nursing schools are rejecting thousands of applicants -- in the middle of a nursing shortage

In 2017, nursing schools turned away more than 56,000 qualified applicants from undergraduate nursing programs. Going back a decade, nursing schools have annually rejected around 30,000 applicants who met admissions requirements, according to the American Association of Colleges of Nursing.

"Some of these applicants graduated high school top of their class with a 3.5 GPA or higher," said Rosseter. "But the competition to get into a nursing school right now is so intense."

Because of the lack of openings, nursing programs across the board -- in community colleges to undergraduate and graduate schools -- are rejecting students in droves.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:29 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
This might explain that question:

Nursing schools are rejecting thousands of applicants -- in the middle of a nursing shortage

In 2017, nursing schools turned away more than 56,000 qualified applicants from undergraduate nursing programs. Going back a decade, nursing schools have annually rejected around 30,000 applicants who met admissions requirements, according to the American Association of Colleges of Nursing.

"Some of these applicants graduated high school top of their class with a 3.5 GPA or higher," said Rosseter. "But the competition to get into a nursing school right now is so intense."

Because of the lack of openings, nursing programs across the board -- in community colleges to undergraduate and graduate schools -- are rejecting students in droves.
Thank you. "Because of the lack of openings..." ? Can't they hire more instructors? There's got to be a bigger story, there. It sounds like nursing schools nation-wide need to expand. In view of the aging of the Boomer generation, maybe some federal funds should be designated to support expanding nursing programs? IDK, but it sounds like a serious and very important issue isn't being addressed.

Thanks for posting.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:16 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thank you. "Because of the lack of openings..." ? Can't they hire more instructors? There's got to be a bigger story, there. It sounds like nursing schools nation-wide need to expand. In view of the aging of the Boomer generation, maybe some federal funds should be designated to support expanding nursing programs? IDK, but it sounds like a serious and very important issue isn't being addressed.

Thanks for posting.
It's nothing new. If you notice, it says...
"Going back a decade,"

Old 05-03-2018, 02:32 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,525,082 times
I'd start with the shift work. It's really hard on your overall health and energy. If you got on a set schedule you might feel a lot more up to dealing with some of the other things you listed. Feeling rundown makes everything seem harder to manage.

Old 05-03-2018, 03:09 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,548,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Howdy, I mean life is good got a wife, a cat, a place to live, and a job.

However, feel trapped at work and in my State my hometown. It's just blah. Trying to go back to school keep getting rejected. Our State has limited higher education opportunities and they are costly. Add in gotta drive everywhere, deal with traffic, and pay for gas. It eats up a lot of your paycheck that and taxes.

With my crazy 3 shift schedule at work just feel burned out. Job's not bad good people I work with and pay is great. Reason kind of stuck there the pay really helps chip away at my credit card bills.
Quote:
The drive to work 60 to 70 miles 4 to 5 days a week is tiring.
I wouldn't mind live in a lower cost of living State with warmer weather. Everything being expensive is a bummer and the cold weather is a bummer. Just feel drained.

Wow, a 60-70 mile commute to work 4-5 days a week WOULD be tiring. What about moving closer to your job? Being tired all the time can cause depression. You sound like you are definitely in a slump and a move to a better location might really help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology