Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 04:28 AM

51 posts, read 57,574 times

Advertisements

As well as the cash?

I know some people will condemn it as selfish but honestly, if I won (in this scenario €10 million), I wouldn't tell family. I don't have many friends and my family sucks to be honest so I'm not sure if they deserve the news. I might still help them but I would not flash my cash or make excess purchases that would arouse any suspicion. As well as that, I don't want to be robbed or have myself held hostage by anyone who finds out.

Being me, I'd probably get plastic surgery (change my eye color from brown eyes to blue, lighten skin, get a hair transplant etc...) After that I would buy a small apartment in an upper-middle class area nearby me and just buy some legal recreational drugs while at the same time, enroll in a small college to get a job in IT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 04:36 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,306,739 times
I'll let you know.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:05 AM

911 posts, read 262,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalecriminale
I know some people will condemn it as selfish but honestly, if I won (in this scenario €10 million), I wouldn't tell family.....
You would be wise not to!!!!

YOU WOULD HAVE FAMILY AND FRIENDS YOU DIDNT KNOW ABOUT COMING FROM EVERYWHERE!!

Good luck...I hope YOU DO win someday!! (You can tell us,we wont tell anyone)

Old 04-16-2018, 05:13 AM

61,772 posts, read 87,244,588 times
Under state law in most of the United States, lottery winners’ identities are public record. Often that's a local media news. So, no. Everyone around here would know, but I wouldn't inform my friends/distant family that lives out of state or overseas.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:32 AM

15,221 posts, read 10,331,805 times
I would tell my immediate family, which is quite small because I would be giving them all some of my winnings. Then I would open up a no kill animal shelter.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:14 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,912,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Under state law in most of the United States, lottery winners’ identities are public record. Often that's a local media news. So, no. Everyone around here would know, but I wouldn't inform my friends/distant family that lives out of state or overseas.
If I understand this correctly, a woman lottery winner in the US won in a court case the right of not revealing her identity.
Quote:
Only six states allow lottery winners to remain anonymous-Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, North Dakota, Ohio and South Carolina. Some states allow winners to shield their identity by claiming their winnings through a trust or a limited liability company.
$560 Million Lottery Winner Can Remain Anonymous: Why Is This Even An Issue In 2018?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michell.../#4b92cdcfe084

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 04-16-2018 at 09:29 AM..

Old 04-16-2018, 09:35 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,912,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalecriminale View Post
As well as the cash?

I know some people will condemn it as selfish but honestly, if I won (in this scenario €10 million), I wouldn't tell family. I don't have many friends and my family sucks to be honest so I'm not sure if they deserve the news. I might still help them but I would not flash my cash or make excess purchases that would arouse any suspicion. As well as that, I don't want to be robbed or have myself held hostage by anyone who finds out.

Being me, I'd probably get plastic surgery (change my eye color from brown eyes to blue, lighten skin, get a hair transplant etc...) After that I would buy a small apartment in an upper-middle class area nearby me and just buy some legal recreational drugs while at the same time, enroll in a small college to get a job in IT.
A lot of us fantasize about what we would do if we won a lottery; I would remain anonymous. But I also think we should pursue the things we would do if we won, even if we don't win. So go for your scenario anyway, OP. The daydreaming points to what we want in life, and your goals are modest and reachable.

If I won millions of dollars I'd keep doing what I'm doing: pursuing more education, improving my business practices, tending to health concerns. It would be easier but the temptations would be greater, also. I think that studies of lottery winners indicate that it's very disruptive and does not always lead to a higher degree of happiness.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:06 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,777,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
A lot of us fantasize about what we would do if we won a lottery; I would remain anonymous. But I also think we should pursue the things we would do if we won, even if we don't win. So go for your scenario anyway, OP. The daydreaming points to what we want in life, and your goals are modest and reachable.

If I won millions of dollars I'd keep doing what I'm doing: pursuing more education, improving my business practices, tending to health concerns. It would be easier but the temptations would be greater, also. I think that studies of lottery winners indicate that it's very disruptive and does not always lead to a higher degree of happiness.
I would FOR SURE do PRP/Stem Cells all over my arthritic body and I love my apt and would give so so much away to the truly needy organizations. But since I don't buy tickets, I have no worry.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:12 AM

102,227 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalecriminale View Post
As well as the cash?

Do you realize that the things you listed have nothing to do with plastic surgery? Are you aware that eye color cannot be changed surgically? All you have to do is buy colored contacts, OP. This is a very strange way of thinking. And I'm not referring to wanting to keep your money to yourself. That's normal. But lottery winners often don't have that choice; the lottery operators make the winner's name public, in many cases.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:43 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,204,477 times
A large part of having a lottery in the first place is to publicize the winners so that people will "see themselves in that role" and keep buying tickets, so it's slim to none that you're going to keep it private.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology