Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 04:10 PM

191 posts, read 267,630 times

Advertisements

Am I in the wrong here?
I do some childcare work for a couple who are currently going through a messy divorce. I now only see the dad of my charge and hardly ever the mom. Today though the mom came to collect my charge from the house as Dad is away on business. She said she had to collect some bags of hers and then she led me to the door and I walked home.
Back at home, I saw an email from the dad. He had written:

"Hi Jenni. I have no idea why Jane collected her bags, there should be nothing to collect.
I should have said but in the future I need you to stay until Jane has gone as I don't like the idea of her being in the house with nobody watching what she is doing. I know Ethan (Teenage stepson) was there but he doesn't want any interaction with her so I would rather you stayed until she went going forward."

I replied saying-
"Okay. It might be best if we arrange an alternative meeting point in the future or that you explain to Jane why I am staying after she has gone.'

He replied back saying he was furious with her and not me but I still feel uneasy and like I let him down. Am I just being weak/a doormat?

Last edited by Jenni855; 05-01-2018 at 04:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 06:59 PM

3,060 posts, read 2,035,841 times
You feel bad because you are in the middle of a divorced couple, nothing you did was wrong, she was wrong. You don't own the house, she manipulated the situation and probably had it all planned out how to get you out the door.

What you said to the dad was exactly right. You should not be in the middle of this, barring her entry. That's why couples exchanging custody meet in a neutral location and even then things sometimes get ugly.

You are not weak. You sound very intelligent. Keep up the good work.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:26 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times
I think he is overstepping his demands in terms of your responsibilities. Your responsibility is childcare, not overseeing the house or his belongings. He's testing boundaries but if it were me, I would not allow myself to be used in this manner. If he wants you to have responsibilities over and above what he is paying you, and you have the expertise and muscle to do more, discuss it in clear terms and negotiate a pay raise.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:27 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni855 View Post
Am I in the wrong here?
I do some childcare work for a couple who are currently going through a messy divorce. I now only see the dad of my charge and hardly ever the mom. Today though the mom came to collect my charge from the house as Dad is away on business. She said she had to collect some bags of hers and then she led me to the door and I walked home.
Back at home, I saw an email from the dad. He had written:

"Hi Jenni. I have no idea why Jane collected her bags, there should be nothing to collect.
I should have said but in the future I need you to stay until Jane has gone as I don't like the idea of her being in the house with nobody watching what she is doing. I know Ethan (Teenage stepson) was there but he doesn't want any interaction with her so I would rather you stayed until she went going forward."

I replied saying-
"Okay. It might be best if we arrange an alternative meeting point in the future or that you explain to Jane why I am staying after she has gone.'

He replied back saying he was furious with her and not me but I still feel uneasy and like I let him down. Am I just being weak/a doormat?
It's not your fault, and something he should have set up in advance.

Sometimes, though, things happen that you cannot anticipate. You are not a divorce mediator.

Just let it go.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:03 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It's not your fault, and something he should have set up in advance.

Sometimes, though, things happen that you cannot anticipate. You are not a divorce mediator.

Just let it go.
Wise.
I would also let them both go ,
Then go live my own life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology