Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 11:45 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times

Advertisements

Good for you! I know we have been recommending you go to therapy for a while now and it’s great that you are continuing to go. I just hope that you stick with it and hopefully when you start to learn more about yourself, you will begin to have better relationships and trust in women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 01:58 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Glad to hear it's working out. After a few years of abandonment, I'm hitting up various clinicians in the Albuquerque area. At my cranky old age, it's time to see about setting my dumpster fire of a life straight before too long.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:41 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
So happy you are feeling some progress. Just keep on keeping on.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Glad you're finding some benefit to examining things!

Old 08-17-2018, 01:04 PM

340 posts, read 272,352 times
After I confessed my therapist I cheated on my previous partners and I told her about the text messages my girlfriend caught she said I struggle with trusting my girlfriend because I'm not trustworthy myself, so I project, is a Psychological projection.
Just found out I'm a horrible human being!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

Old 08-17-2018, 02:15 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuason77 View Post
Just found out I'm a horrible human being!
Oh stop.

It just means you need to relearn how to act. Did she have suggestions?

Old 08-17-2018, 07:56 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Hey we told you that! For free!

Yeah, projection is common, and really obvious to people on the outside. I have the sense that once you are aware of it, and want to get better, you can more easily step outside your head and recognize when you are doing it. Self reflection and self awareness is so important, OP.

Great job with the therapy!

Old 08-17-2018, 10:10 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
I had that same experience perhaps 5 years ago. Just last session my therapist and I agreed we would be shutting down later this year. She agrees that I have resolved all my major life issues, and that I am now fully equipped to handle any new problems with the skills that I've learned in counseling.

I just hate to shut this down. It is very addictive to have a "friend" who will help you understand your life, and a professional whose job it is to help her patients accomplish this. Another term could be "life coach."

I will surely miss her but 2018 is my graduation year, to a life where my previous issues have now all been resolved.

Just noting, I did this three times before, and all who preceded her failed. There is no shame in swapping therapists. Anybody who is not happy with their therapist should interview with a new therapist, to decide if switching may be advantageous. It took me 4 trials to find a therapist who meshed with me.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:34 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
I couldn't find anything around here for at least the next, couple of weeks. But it's a new place I just found out about. And the staff all seems quite impressive according to some of the listed credentials on their site.

Figured I'd give it a go and see how well it does before I go ahead with anything else I was planning on doing. The forums could only offer so much. And from what I've learned from posting around here and with speaking to others, it's that some people tend to get tired of a ramble and shut it out.

Things like the math anxiety and general depression being brought on from failing to get those types of classes done within the past, almost two decades. That's part of what's bringing me back down again. Got to find external, non internet ways to get it under control and on the right path again before it becomes something unable to be reigned in as easy.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:48 AM

652 posts, read 874,190 times
None of this sounds like clinical psychology. It sounds more like a 12 step program with many who have fallen on the wagon a time or two. The life coach would say, it's ok we are all human. Make sure you all set a low bar for success, than you will never be disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology