Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 08:30 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,379 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking about this and just can't figure it out. I mean, I can, but I digress. I counted, just today, four threads where the poster asks a good question, and there is an immediate snarky reply. In fact, I am finding the overall forum/internet social culture is more snarky and smartazz than any face to face interaction throughout the day that we normally encounter. It seems it is becoming more and more common to have a smart mouth answer or reply than it is to just be an adult and try to conversate with some sort of emotional stability....and it is BIZARRE to me.

I have said it on here before, but I guess we have forgotten this things we learned in kindergarten, such as basic respect or if you don't have anything nice to say....you know the rest. We have also been removed of the real face-to-face consequences of treating someone that way, such as awkwardness, exchanging not-so-nice words, or even just getting a slap in the mouth.

I dunno....no real answers other than the obvious ones...stress, picked on as a kid, anger issues that can be doled out with no real consequence, etc....fill in the blanks. Our society is becoming vastly different just due to social media and forums and smart phones and it leaves me guessing. Just some thoughts on this rainy day....happy trails y'all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 09:18 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times
I'm as bad as anyone in that if I observe some entity post rude, cruel and hurtful responses, I marvel at how they can do that and promptly write them off. Very unforgiving of me, but rarely do I see such a writer change their character defects.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:33 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
I have been thinking about this and just can't figure it out. I mean, I can, but I digress. I counted, just today, four threads where the poster asks a good question, and there is an immediate snarky reply.
The bolded/unlderlined, which is opinion more than objective fact, plays a big role in this.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:40 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
Civility and fairness are a thin veneer to disguise the brutal self-interest underlying much of our social order. Some folks cherish that veneer and even believe that it's somehow more than skin deep (mostly those for whom the current social order is working rather well).

Others who are less accepting of (often because they are less accepted BY) the current social order prefer to rip that veneer off like a dirty bandaid and reveal that ugly truth. It ain't pretty, but it is honest in a sense.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
The bolded/unlderlined, which is opinion more than objective fact, plays a big role in this.
So a bad question warrants a sh**y response? Problem is, we have put how we feel ahead of how we treat people. It's a dark and winding road....and a low one at that. Take the high road.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:50 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
I have been thinking about this and just can't figure it out. I mean, I can, but I digress. I counted, just today, four threads where the poster asks a good question, and there is an immediate snarky reply. In fact, I am finding the overall forum/internet social culture is more snarky and smartazz than any face to face interaction throughout the day that we normally encounter. It seems it is becoming more and more common to have a smart mouth answer or reply than it is to just be an adult and try to conversate with some sort of emotional stability....and it is BIZARRE to me.

I have said it on here before, but I guess we have forgotten this things we learned in kindergarten, such as basic respect or if you don't have anything nice to say....you know the rest. We have also been removed of the real face-to-face consequences of treating someone that way, such as awkwardness, exchanging not-so-nice words, or even just getting a slap in the mouth.

I dunno....no real answers other than the obvious ones...stress, picked on as a kid, anger issues that can be doled out with no real consequence, etc....fill in the blanks. Our society is becoming vastly different just due to social media and forums and smart phones and it leaves me guessing. Just some thoughts on this rainy day....happy trails y'all.
There is almost no social accountability online, whereas obviously much more exists in face-to-face interaction.

That's really all it is.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:55 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
should be no surprise, it's been this way for decades when someone gets behind the wheel of a vehicle and turns on their cloak of anonymity.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:33 PM

204 posts, read 181,589 times
Never write a check with your mouth, that your body cannot cash.

SJW have a bad case of keyboard muscles

Old 05-29-2018, 05:40 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
That sounds like an implied threat, notrhj. Don't threaten people on the internet.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
There is almost no social accountability online, whereas obviously much more exists in face-to-face interaction.

That's really all it is.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
should be no surprise, it's been this way for decades when someone gets behind the wheel of a vehicle and turns on their cloak of anonymity.
Not surprised really, but tit still is bizarre and out there you really think about how it's changed interaction. I think so anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notrhj View Post
Never write a check with your mouth, that your body cannot cash.

SJW have a bad case of keyboard muscles
Haha, this is good....and true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology