Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 07:48 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,597,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Laptops are "old hat" why, and what does that mean for the future? You won't be able to buy/connect them or have them serviced?
i'm told I wont be able to buy one when my old one dosent work any more, they just aren't making them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 08:06 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
i'm told I wont be able to buy one when my old one dosent work any more, they just aren't making them.
Really?

I still see them advertised for sale all the time... I hope you're wrong about that, as I plan to buy one for use at the public library!

Old 07-06-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Really?

I still see them advertised for sale all the time... I hope you're wrong about that, as I plan to buy one for use at the public library!
probably old stock, what you can do on a laptop can be done on a smartphone and more, also on a tablet, but I don't think I want either of those, i'll just retire and go back under my hedge.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:00 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
probably old stock, what you can do on a laptop can be done on a smartphone and more, also on a tablet, but I don't think I want either of those, i'll just retire and go back under my hedge.
I don't mind "old stock" or even used ones, as long as I can still use them? No way will I ever own a smart phone (don't like tablets, either). It's a matter of principle!

Old 07-06-2018, 11:52 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Now I think I am understanding why you asked why I chose the internet as opposed to the library. Correct me if I am wrong, but do you think in a debate of "old fashioned" vs "technology" a person may see old fashion technology as a way to slow them down? Then the effect is a lot more time and energy is spent getting needs met doing things the old fashioned way instead of spending it on activities that are easily accessible, which is better technology. However, they do not provide a positive outcome.

Now I am not sure what you are asking.....but let me try.

If the Internet worked perfectly, if we were able to ask our search engines questions and get our answers in facts, then we might have something. The thing is, however, that unless one has access to a university library through the Net, often times what one comes up with is a whole bunch of opinion that is not fact.

Maybe it has improved in the last 10 years since I've done my last major research project but I doubt it.

Quote:
Not to mention the dangers of DRIVING and constantly staring at it or, worse, texting and driving... As you say, they were designed to be addictive and are. Will power alone can't stop people from staring at it. I personally don't own one and never will; nor will I ever have WIFI at my house (use public for short periods).

Perhaps imagination and alternate ways of seeing things can stop people.

I, for one, live my life often by "submarine games" (it's a thread title here). I often "come to the surface, extend the masts, listen and respond, pull down the masts, submerge, and go elsewhere, do other things". SHRUG, it's a fantasy life but it is one I like playing. Right now, I am on the Net because I am awaiting a service call to the house and can't do much else till then, but I've just turned off FB for the day, turned off two other chat sites for the day. I've made my messages, my points, now I'll go elsewhere.....just as I will probably do with CD when I get done with this post.

As far as no wifi, GOOD FOR YOU! Me, neither, for three primary reasons. First of all, I don't want to bathe the house in RF energy more than I have to. Secondly, I want to reduce the chance of being signal hijacked, either listened in on or another using my service as their carrier. Finally, there is that thing of internet addiction. if something is very easy to be done, to me, odds are it will done more often.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 07-06-2018 at 12:24 PM..

Old 07-06-2018, 12:56 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
That's not true at all. Everyone I know owns a laptop--sometimes several depending on the type of work they do or if they're really into gaming. Specific models might be discontinued, but not that type of computer.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:00 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Quote:
I use an old very basic mobile phone- not a smartphone- no camera- just for emergency calls, stays in my pocket for that purpose from one month to the next-just gets checked to see if it needs charging then put back.
i'm on my 3rd laptop- I just kill these things- when this goes I probably wont be able to get another as I am told they are "old hat" now so i'll probably be offline for good when that happens.
Laptops are old hat? Says who? That would come as quite a shock to the team of very highly-paid Professional Service Consultants who work for my husband's firm because it's all they use.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Laptops are old hat? Says who? That would come as quite a shock to the team of very highly-paid Professional Service Consultants who work for my husband's firm because it's all they use.
yes that's what they use NOW but come time to replace them it might be a different story. i'm just saying what I've been told, its probably only old fogies like me that use laptops, kids do everything on their smartphones and that's the customers of tomorrow.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:49 AM

24,600 posts, read 9,440,677 times
This thread brings tough memories back to my father. He was a bare minimum kind of guy and my childhood was deprived of a lot of joy due to it. Alas, you can’t choose your parents.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:09 AM

in my case I could or rather they chose me!
minimalism isn't something around in my childhood, if we didn't have something its because we couldn't afford it not because of some lifestyle choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology