Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 01:37 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times

Advertisements

Now I know most here are way younger than me but I'll throw it out anyway. I'm 80 soon. So I've seen a lot of life and made it just fine without today's expensive trinkets.

I don't want to hear about the ipads, smartphones, robotics etc etc....

I NEVER bought into a Microwave oven and ate very well all my life. And still do.

I NEVER bought into ipads, smartphones etc etc and just fine.

I resisted the desktop computer until 2005 and "did it"...but love it.

And unplugged cable last year, got rid of it and don't miss it for a second. Get all I "need" to know on my radio, NPR is a wealth of information. And other stations that I can find that are liberal enough for me.

Avoid so much political cwap and remember how I stayed up hours watching all that stuff on tv but enjoyed a lot of it for some yrs. I'm saving over $60/month with no tv.

I've done a lot in my life and enjoyed about all of it. Things probably many of you never have.

I know I'm not the only one on this planet who "Keeps It Simple",... but anyone here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 01:59 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
I've definitely favored less "stuff" (material goods) and less distractions and junk over time. I just noticed lately that I never watch TV, and that has been the case for the last few years. Though we have several TVs in the house, I could gladly get by without them. I'd prefer less stuff in the house too - even very little - but my wife is a hoarder. I could get along great with just music (iPhones and stereos), musical equipment, and books.

I chuckle at the many who are caught up in getting more stuff, distractions, and things that consume time and attention, with little "return" on the investment, and little that adds value to their lives.

It helps to remember and recognize that we can't take any of that stuff with us. The sooner we get that, the better off we can be.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:43 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
politics is the sewer of communications and pollute most that engage into it..

filter negative thoughts...… be grateful think positive..
stay away from the news and politics..
the news benefits from tragedy they are but dung beetles rolling around the crap of today..

avoid toxic or needy people..

I do love my I phone and internet its my portal to the world...I choose the content.....its not like watching the news..

Old 06-25-2018, 05:30 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Guess it depends on someone's definition of "simple". One person's overly-cluttered life would bore another person to sobs; they couldn't escape it fast enough. What one person might fill their waking hours doing another person wouldn't waste an hour on. Someone might live in a simple efficiency apartment, eat simply, dress simply, own few gadgets, prefer a straightforward uncomplicated working life, live alone, but indulge in and get a lot of joy out of frequent, complicated pleasure travel or participate in the arts. What satisfies a person at one age isn't necessarily going to satisfy them at another.

I believe "true simplicity" is mental, not physical. A person can fill their mind with all sorts of conspiracy theories, campaigns, fears, plots, deceptions, suspicions, judgments, or expound their grandiose opinions as truth, but own nothing and live in a 6'X8' cardboard box under a bridge.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-25-2018 at 05:50 PM..

Old 06-25-2018, 06:17 PM

6,301 posts, read 4,197,862 times
For me keeping it simple involves an iPad lol! I don’t clutter the house with drawing pads and pencils because I can sketch to my hearts content on the pad. I don’t buy books because I can read on my kindle app on my iPad. I don’t have newspapers delivered because I can read my subscriptions online.

Materially we downsized to half the size house we had last year.

Since using an oven boosts the house temp during very hot weather in az I find a slow cooker and microwave absolute essential kitchen appliances. We quit cable and tv programming completely last year but we have Netflix and I can always watch my fave shows or movies on my iPad while I lounge in the pool.

“keeping it simple” means different things to different people, no right way or wrong way.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:27 PM

703 posts, read 612,917 times
Yes, I'd say I've always been that way. Even when I was young. Don't like owning lots of stuff. Have never owned a microwave but I have nothing against them. If I had a true need for one I'd have one. Don't own an iPhone. Only started carrying a regular cell phone in about 2007 or 2008. Ditched cable in 2011. Watch just enough news to not be ignorant. I do like knowing things and keeping up. I was. however, a news hound when I was younger. Starting about 10 yrs ago I noticed everything bad is new again. It just keeps recycling. It only seemed new when I was young because I hadn't seen it before.

Quote:
Yes. That probably outranks owning too much stuff if you want a simple, enjoyable life. It is usually a deal killer for relationships with most people though but, so what? If stress kills, "toxic, needy people" are Al Capones

Last edited by fallstaff; 06-25-2018 at 07:41 PM..

Old 06-25-2018, 07:34 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,327 times
I love simple living,I yearn for a simple cottage in the countryside,a simple hand sewn thirty piece wardrobe,everything handmade actually,to cook,journal,write poems and novels,paint portraits,to listen to nice music.I think everyone would be alot healthier inside and out if we lived simply it’s more sustainable for the earth too.The way we live in the West consume,consume,consume is destroying the planet.I would sincerely like to sell most things I own and just live simple.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:33 PM

219 posts, read 157,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Now I know most here are way younger than me but I'll throw it out anyway. I'm 80 soon. So I've seen a lot of life and made it just fine without today's expensive trinkets.

I don't want to hear about the ipads, smartphones, robotics etc etc....

I NEVER bought into a Microwave oven and ate very well all my life. And still do.

I NEVER bought into ipads, smartphones etc etc and just fine.

I resisted the desktop computer until 2005 and "did it"...but love it.

And unplugged cable last year, got rid of it and don't miss it for a second. Get all I "need" to know on my radio, NPR is a wealth of information. And other stations that I can find that are liberal enough for me.

Avoid so much political cwap and remember how I stayed up hours watching all that stuff on tv but enjoyed a lot of it for some yrs. I'm saving over $60/month with no tv.

I've done a lot in my life and enjoyed about all of it. Things probably many of you never have.

I know I'm not the only one on this planet who "Keeps It Simple",... but anyone here.

At forty-one, I'm just under half your age, but I've lived most of my adult life as you do.

I have a small microwave that lives in a cupboard for visitors to use, but I rarely use it myself as I like to cook from scratch. When I was a renter, I had one that I'd inherited from my parents; when I was married, the microwaves came with the houses that we owned. I use my grandmother's Mirro pressure pan at least once a week and make popcorn either on the stovetop or in an air popper that I bought at a yard sale in 1994 to use in my college dorm room.

I didn't have the internet at home until I married. (Couldn't get the internet back then without having either a landline or cable--I had neither.) I used the computers at library or at work when I required access. Obviously, I now have a computer and internet access at home. I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of the computer. It's been a great additional resource for home repairs, news, information, entertainment, and for keeping in touch with friends and family.

I finally got my first smartphone last year when my old phone had broken. A friend gave me one of his old ones that had been gathering dust in his desk drawer for the past few years. He wouldn't take any money for it, so I treated him to dinner the next time we saw each other in person. The thought that phones are now pricey enough to warrant payments(!) boggles my mind even though I could afford to buy one outright.

The cable cord was disconnected when I sold my last house. The Roku that I received as a housewarming gift suits me well. The library around the corner from me has a great selection of books, music and movies for free, so I don't lack for media entertainment.

NPR's on the work radio in the morning until my boss arrives; on Sundays, it's on all day so I can listen to the weekend news and special programming while I work.

Life's good here--all needs are met, I enjoy my work, my family, most of my neighbors and coworkers and there are a few luxuries to be savored here and there. There are still things that I'd like to do and have and I wish that money could buy more hours in a day, but I cannot think of any expensive tchotchke that could give me more contentment.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:47 PM

387 posts, read 515,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
politics is the sewer of communications and pollute most that engage into it..

filter negative thoughts...… be grateful think positive..
stay away from the news and politics..
the news benefits from tragedy they are but dung beetles rolling around the crap of today..

I do love my I phone and internet its my portal to the world...I choose the content.....its not like watching the news..
Excellent advice, political discussion is the road to ruin for many old friends unless your on the same page. The media is very bias, so I avoid it. Like you I use the internet to stay informed, read books, exercise, and try to keep organized, forums like this are great for knowledge but facebook politics are very unhealthy...

Old 06-25-2018, 09:09 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
I don't see how I could keep it simple. Too many friends, too many pets and too much book hoarding. I kind of revel in the chaos of it all.

L
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology