Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 08:04 PM

390 posts, read 306,593 times

Advertisements

What are some common thoughts than run through people's minds in their 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s? (thoughts, worries, hopes & dreams, regrets, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 02:52 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
I'm 35, I suppose the biggest difference for me versus 25 is just feeling more battle-weary, like at 25 I was on the path toward my dreams and had endless optimism that I'd get there. At 35, I've accomplished a few of those dreams but not the ultimate prize and I continue to hope that my efforts will pay off and I'll get there. It's like knowing you're still young enough to have lots of time to get there, but you're not so young to be complacent, so work hard and don't waste time. I think about that a lot. Don't let the time pass, seize control over it.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:02 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Hmmmmm, what I often wonder now in my 50s about my 20s........how could I have been such an idiot!

Old 07-12-2018, 05:47 PM

I am a lot calmer and more toned down now in my 40s than I was in my 20s. I am less impulsive and think things over more. I wonder what I will be like in my 50s and 60s.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:02 PM

482 posts, read 242,082 times
I'm in my 40's and death has been on my mind quite a bit lately. I've come to the realization that at least half my life is over. I'm also starting to lose people like I've known for a very long time like my neighbors, former teachers, or my friends parents. It's kind of strange because my brother and I just had a long talk about this the other day. He's a few years older than me, and he says that he had those thoughts for a bit when he first turned 40. We both also expressed to each other that we feel like the world is no longer ours anymore. We both feel as if the world is now our children's world.

My Grandmother is 86 years old and says that this fear of death will pass, and that it's pretty common for middle aged people to dwell on. She said that she felt the same way in her 40's and 50's, but her fear of death sort just went away in her 60's as well as many other anxiety or fears that she had. She is very at peace with her life now, and says that she just lives one day at a time. She says that she fears losing her independence, but not death anymore. My grandma thinks that coming to peace with ones own death is a biological thing that occurs, as she says that seniors in general tend to actually dwell on death less than the middle aged. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but it makes sense when you think about it.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:09 PM

482 posts, read 242,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I'm 35, I suppose the biggest difference for me versus 25 is just feeling more battle-weary, like at 25 I was on the path toward my dreams and had endless optimism that I'd get there. At 35, I've accomplished a few of those dreams but not the ultimate prize and I continue to hope that my efforts will pay off and I'll get there. It's like knowing you're still young enough to have lots of time to get there, but you're not so young to be complacent, so work hard and don't waste time. I think about that a lot. Don't let the time pass, seize control over it.
At 34 I was alone, depressed, and questioning a lot of past decisions in my life. 10 years later, I'm married to the woman of my dreams, have a family, and far more at peace with my past. I'm assuming that you're a man by your handle. One thing I can tell you about being 40 Jonathan, is that it's when a lot of men finally reach their peak. It's when a lot of men finally accomplish some of their biggest goals. I have several friends that felt just like you in that they questioned when their efforts would finally pay off. Most of those guys found out within the next 10 years.

Keep your foot on the pedal my friend, and good things will happen eventually.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:34 PM

I can't rep you anymore, Spider99, but thank you for your beautiful posts and words of encouragement. I worry about death and my health a lot, too. Coincidentally, I met a woman who is 20 years older than me talk to me about the benefits of yoga and how much it changed her life. She said she was very nervous and high strung / driven in her 40s, and if you meet her now, she is very quiet, focused, and at peace with the world around her. I want to get to that point some day, just like your 86 year old grandmother.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:53 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
30’s some success, but a hunger to be “it”.
40’s striving for more experiences, but still needing to prove myself.
50’s made it, looking for the next level, but broader, not so money focused. More about life and relationships. Setting up the plan to step out and escape career.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
For me, where I'm at in life affects more than my age itself does.

For instance, I became a parent for the first time at 38, and for the second time at 40. So much of my perspective on life, myself, my goals, and what's important either shifted or became solidified in a way that they weren't before, once I had tiny people counting on me for their everything.

I also started the process of a major career shift at this same time, coincidentally (had just started my master's program when I got pregnant with kid #1), and that has contributed to a lot of shifts in how I look at things/look at life.

The age isn't so much the determinant factor as the occurrences.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:27 PM

10 posts, read 55,306 times
48 here and these last few years have been the worse. I worry about my health a lot and about being a single female at this age. I hope my days become brighter but as for now I have the old lady blues. Oh, and i've been thinking about adopting a cat I guess i'll be the old cat lady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology