Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 05:36 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times

Advertisements

I don't have any problem with tattoos per se. Several of my friends and even more co-workers have them... honestly it's just not something that interests me much one way or another. Especially these days when everybody and their dog has ink.

But I do think that getting tattoos is an attention-seeking behavior. Doesn't really mean it's a bad thing- but if you dye your hair green and go about your day, you're gonna get attention for that. Painting yourself up so other people will see it? Yep, your'e gonna get attention for it.

So yeah, I find it hard to take people seriously when they complain about unwanted attention... after engaging in attention-seeking behavior. Don't like the attention resulting from decisions made when you were young and drunk? Not my problem... put on some long sleeves or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 07:02 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,225,857 times
I frequently get comments about my tattoos, mostly from women. It's usually along the lines of "Wow, I love that style. Who's your artist?" Sometimes they'll ask if there's a meaning behind them (there isn't). I like talking about them. That said, I would never approach someone and ask about their tattoos but that's because I'm pretty shy more than anything else.
If you have tattoos, especially nice ones, people are going to be curious and notice them and that's okay but no one should have to put up with creepy behavior like the author of the article does.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:06 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Firstly, tats are not art, more in the vain of graffiti on a train. Generally the class of women with many tats, are the ones you see on TV shows such as Judge Judy. The only good tat on a woman, is a very small one near the ankle, so that one can cover it with a Band-aid during work.
It ends right there. You are wrong, period. Many tattoo artists are also accomplished painters. Basically you just shame the entire profession.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:12 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
But I do think that getting tattoos is an attention-seeking behavior. Doesn't really mean it's a bad thing- but if you dye your hair green and go about your day, you're gonna get attention for that. Painting yourself up so other people will see it? Yep, your'e gonna get attention for it.

So yeah, I find it hard to take people seriously when they complain about unwanted attention... after engaging in attention-seeking behavior. Don't like the attention resulting from decisions made when you were young and drunk? Not my problem... put on some long sleeves or something.
For some people I'm sure it's attention-seeking, sure. But it's not accurate as a blanket statement. I do have one visible tattoo, and I got it as a reminder, and for that to be effective it had to be someplace I'd regularly see it. I don't mind that other people can see, but it's not for them.

People have lots of different motivations for doing what they do.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:52 PM

Can I see your tattoo?

Old 08-02-2018, 08:18 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Every single person who has a tattoo will claim that it's not for attention. I'm just saying that I don't believe them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Well, thanks for calling me a liar, I guess.
Me too. I'll admit my body art is temporary (jagua looks pretty close to a black/blue tattoo) and I'll admit it's there because I like the look and I'll welcome any attention. I'd even like to start a MeetUp group for jagua/henna body art, but I won't, because of legal liability problems.

Perhaps I'll experience negative attention. I'll report back if that happens, I'll deal with it, I doubt it will be an issue. I do believe that on first dates I'll have to explain to my date that it's temporary, in case she disapproves. For the right woman I'd give it up. My LTR is more important than my body art.

I like the look. I often forget it's there. It looks real, especially to those not knowledgeable in tattoos. I'll be surprised one day when (or if) somebody comments. It's 5" long on my left wrist so it's sort of obvious. I call it "new age" but "abstract" (circles, lines and arrows) could suffice.

This is my second application, having shifted the position a bit. It's still not right so in a few weeks I'll move it again when I re-ink. I like it enough that when I find the perfect position I think I'll ink it every 7-10 days to keep it semi-permanent.

It's like having bacon and eggs for breakfast. The chicken is involved but the pig is committed. I have the luxury that I'm not committed and can simply wait a few weeks for my body art to go away.

I am pretty sure at this point that I'll continue renewing it for the foreseeable future, although I doubt I'd ever make it permanent. Nevertheless, in my travails today I walked past a tattoo shop and entered, my first time in such a place. Maybe not my last...

I had a convo with the shop artist, asked a few questions, commented that my experience at L.A. Fitness leads me to believe that tattooing is trending. The dude agreed with me, although of course as a merchant he'd say that. But I do believe tattoos are trending. I see it at my gym every workout.

I'm an amateur artist. My best medium is pen and ink. In that medium you cannot make mistakes. This is just like that except my mistakes self-erase in 3 weeks. I see it as inevitable that from drawing rocket ships in class in the 3rd grade it would lead to a succession of sketching, drawing in ink, and eventually I think it would have always ended with me drawing on my body. Art is my destiny.

Ars longa, vita brevis. Life is short, art is forever.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:29 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
I'll tell ya what I love is when a man says tattoos are so low class and nasty on women...find out what this same guy says when a woman comes up and hints that she has a tattoo somewhere on her body that he'd never guess! Oh yeah, soooooo nasty, but in a good way. I admit it - I did that to a guy on a first date. He saw some woman with a tattoo and made that remark - I wasn't really liking him so thought I'd mess with him a little and tell him about my non-existent tattoo - the look on his face was priceless and I could tell he was thinking about it the whole evening.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:02 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I'll tell ya what I love is when a man says tattoos are so low class and nasty on women...find out what this same guy says when a woman comes up and hints that she has a tattoo somewhere on her body that he'd never guess! Oh yeah, soooooo nasty, but in a good way. I admit it - I did that to a guy on a first date. He saw some woman with a tattoo and made that remark - I wasn't really liking him so thought I'd mess with him a little and tell him about my non-existent tattoo - the look on his face was priceless and I could tell he was thinking about it the whole evening.
Lovin' it!

Old 08-03-2018, 08:05 AM

I think a lot of women look even better *with* tattoos. Depends on the woman and the tattoos in question, and it's entirely a matter of taste of course. But it's hard to imagine how up-tight a guy would have to be to dismiss tattooed ladies as 'trashy'.

But tattoos are like piercings, pink hair, dressing up as a goth/bohemian/whatever. When people choose a 'look' like that, it's going to affect how people interact with them. Not saying that's good or bad... just saying that it's cause and effect.

Personally I don't think I'll ever get a tattoo. Nothing against it... but I'm too damn fickle for something that permanent. I think about some of the garbage I said and believed 20 years ago... I'd be genuinely ashamed if I carried a tattoo of it. And 20 years from now... who knows what I'll want or believe?

Well... except machines. I'll always be obsessed with machines of any sort. It's the one constant in my life.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:34 AM

10,760 posts, read 4,346,172 times
In terms of attraction, I only like feminine females, and tattoos are not feminine.
So as soon as I see the female has a tattoo I don't count them as a female.
Its impossible to be attracted to a tattooed female.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology