Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 05:48 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,065 times

Advertisements

Disclaimer: I'm not a professional in the field. I'm not even a Psych major. I'm just a curious guy who likes surveying people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanfo...low_experiment

After reading this, I had a few questions as to the choices we'd make as adults.

Say you were hungry and in search of a place to eat dinner. You decide on a place you're definitely going, but there's a twist:

- If you wait an hour, your meal is provided at half price. Would you take this offer?
- If you wait two hours, your meal is free. Only caveat is you can't take anything with you. Would you take this offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 06:27 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,770,924 times
I'm not sure how valid your results are going to be. Because some people value their time more than others... which may or may not correlate at all with the ability to delay gratification.

When I was younger I had more time and less money... I would've taken that deal. These days I have more money and less time. So I'd just buy the meal rather than waste two hours.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:27 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,588 times
I'd probably just buy the meal because it would save a lot more money that way. I eat like a bird so many times I end up taking leftovers to go and that saves me another day or more.
Of course it depends on what it is. My usual Ruby Tuesday's meal I finish whereas Outback I don't finish the fries.
Even if I finished it all though I think I would still buy it because if I was hungry enough I don't think I could wait two hours because I've waited before to eat and having gastritis if I even wait an hour too long my stomach starts cramping. That's probably partially how I got it in the first place is by starving myself. It's okay for a few days but if you start making a habit of it you cost yourself a lot in health (me even moreso because I use herbs and supplements for my physical ailments and they're more expensive than prescriptions since they're not covered by insurance)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
I'm not sure how valid your results are going to be. Because some people value their time more than others... which may or may not correlate at all with the ability to delay gratification.

When I was younger I had more time and less money... I would've taken that deal. These days I have more money and less time. So I'd just buy the meal rather than waste two hours.

They do say that time is money also.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:09 PM

Most times when I'm going out to dinner, I have plans, therefore, also a reservation. My decision is highly dependent on if we're talking Michelin-star dining or something more casual - not necessarily cheap - and whether I had to remain at the restaurant the entire time, or if I was free to roam, simply delaying addressing my hunger.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:28 AM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Disclaimer: I'm not a professional in the field. I'm not even a Psych major. I'm just a curious guy who likes surveying people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanfo...low_experiment

After reading this, I had a few questions as to the choices we'd make as adults.

Say you were hungry and in search of a place to eat dinner. You decide on a place you're definitely going, but there's a twist:

- If you wait an hour, your meal is provided at half price. Would you take this offer?
- If you wait two hours, your meal is free. Only caveat is you can't take anything with you. Would you take this offer?
Guess I've been lucky enough that saving the cost of a meal doesn't mean that much. Money and the value of it is reserved for more important decisions than gratification.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:04 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,640,168 times
Yeah I don't see how that would be relevant at all unless you were struggling for money. I wouldn't wait 5 minutes for a discount on anything, if I went out to eat I have the money to afford that decision. I don't care about petty expenses like meals out. There was a time, I did, and I watched every penny and rarely ate out. Now, I'm enjoying my life and I'll worry about the bigger picture purchasing decisions not amounts of money I won't even notice missing.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:57 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Depends on a variety of factors.

Let's say I had a hearty breakfast and you offer the lunch at 11-12. I will definitely be willing to wait for the first hour, and maybe the second hour for the freebie.

Let's say I had nothing to eat and lunch is originally scheduled at 1, with discounts coming at 2 and 3. I probably wouldn't wait then.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:35 AM

765 posts, read 474,229 times
i remember seeing "delayed" gratification testing done on 5 and 6 year olds. The adult would tell them they had to do this building task with lego blocks, and they should not eat that cup cake on the same table until they finished. The lego build would take at least 15 minutes to complete. The adult left the room..... Many of the kids "failed".... would start looking behind them, their little pudgy fingers would move the cupcake plate closer and closer, some would start with scooping some frosting off. The gist of this was: if they had the stamina to withstand temptation and possessed the "adult" trait of delaying gratification, they were deemed more intelligent.

oh phooey. eat when you are hungry and eat what the hell you want. food is not to be measured in terms of how long one can delay eating and your stamina to eschew it. lol.... maybe in this case we ex-chew?

Old 08-14-2018, 10:14 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,402,055 times
This setup seems to be more about economics than delayed gratification.

Perhaps if the reward for waiting was something you really wanted or needed...for instance, I often have to delay eating because I have a medical test scheduled. The "reward" of being able to take the test and get the results is more important than eating right now.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:04 PM

Thank for your responses, it's helping me to ask better questions, not conflate one -logy with another, and is very insightful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology