Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 01:20 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,675,590 times

Advertisements

Yelling at the TV or at live sports games is a great release of pent up anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 04:35 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,408,238 times
At times I think my husband is going to have a heart attack from watching a stressful game! Don't even try to bring some humor to it--"Honey, they can't hear you!".

Yes, football season has begun...

Old 09-11-2018, 04:49 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,982,979 times
"What gives? Your thoughts?"

1. cheaper than therapy.
2. learn new terminology.
3. exercise. https://www.runnersworld.com/women/a...-your-workout/

Old 09-11-2018, 06:57 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,778,762 times
It's some sort of tribal bonding mechanism I think- ordinary human behavior. Sports, church, flag/military-worship... this is how millions of normal humans find meaning and their place in the world.

Thankfully I'm not normal in that way.

Last edited by turkey-head; 09-11-2018 at 07:13 PM..

Old 09-11-2018, 07:15 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,069,204 times
I just think it's a way of blowing off steam. Like watching a movie you know is going to make you cry, just because you need a good cry. Or going on a rollercoaster and yelling and being terrified when really, you could avoid the yelling and terror by just not going on roller coaster.

Or even going to a concert and cheering loudly and dancing.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:18 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,543,291 times
They're having fun and enjoying themselves. Trying to get into the action. What's the problem?

Old 09-11-2018, 09:02 PM

468 posts, read 358,545 times
I'm aware of studies that show domestic abuse rises after NFL games on Sunday..

One example:

Study links NFL upsets, domestic abuse

Domestic abuse increases after sports teams unexpectedly lose games, U.S. researchers said Tuesday.

Calls to the police reporting men assaulting their wives or partners rose 10 percent in areas where the local NFL team lost a game they were favored to win, said researchers who analyzed 900 regular-season NFL games.

"Our results suggest that the overall rise in violence between the intimate partners we studied is driven entirely by losses in games that matter most to fans," said a co-author of the study, Dr. David Card, of the University of California, Berkeley.

The research, published in the Quarterly Journal of Economics, said the timings of calls to police suggested the violence usually occurred within the final hour of a game and the two hours after.

"This is not limited to football," Card added. "Someone who gets a speeding ticket on the way home, for example, might also be more likely to act out in a way he would later regret."

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...c-abuse-032211

And not only after NFL football

I wasn't scared of an England defeat, I was scared for my life.

https://www.elle.com/uk/life-and-cul...c-abuse-women/

Old 09-11-2018, 09:09 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,493,767 times
My dads dog used to run at and bark at the tv like she was gonna attack it

Old 09-11-2018, 09:25 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,367,658 times
I wish I had 3 men in my living room!
Better than them being at a bar!
Besides, you'll never run them off if the place smells like apple pie!

Old 09-11-2018, 09:38 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,569,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
It's some sort of tribal bonding mechanism I think- ordinary human behavior. Sports, church, flag/military-worship... this is how millions of normal humans find meaning and their place in the world.

Thankfully I'm not normal in that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
They represent a group of men who want/need to wall up inside a childish box of primitive nonsense. I don't get it - why that interests them, and why they carry on in that way - but hey, humanity is strange. I've given up trying to understand the unexplainable.

In the end, I'm just glad I'm not like them...
Quote:
Tribalism

noun
the state or fact of being organized in a tribe or tribes.
derogatory
the behavior and attitudes that stem from strong loyalty to one's own tribe or social group.
"a society motivated by cultural tribalism"
synonyms: sectarianism, chauvinism; esprit de corps
"the latest waves of violence were blamed on tribalism"
"I am glad I am not like them" is in itself a form of tribalism. And I am thinking "they" probably have the same sentiments about you.

I loved the question about sport fanatics being lazy. Why yes, and they also scratch themselves down there and belch and pass gas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology