Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 06:48 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

...curse out the referee, umpire, or players from the couch at home.

I ask because three crazy men are currently doing this in my home as of now.

They are pointlessly cursing players and judges out, and using extremely "colorful" words for various players and judges during a football game.

They are LOUD.

All are using words like "Mother F****r, ass****, effing bastard etc. You get the drift.

When things are going there way, they also compliment players and say "that's the way you do it" and other words of encouragement. The are less loud with their compliments and coaching suggestions. "How do you let him run past you? He's got a effing injured leg, this is BS!" (that was the latest comment)

This is just the beginning of a long, long fall...

I'm baking an apple pie in the kitchen which adjoins the family room, where these three bozos are sitting on an ugly reclining couch, bought just for this season, against my decorating will, by my husband. Not to get off topic, but this enormous sectional is so decadent, it even has two mini coolers in it, so no one needs to get up to get a beer.

And no, they are not drunk. Or even buzzed. They do not use this type of vulgar language constantly or very frequently IRL, But when a game is on, especially football, they all swear like proverbial "drunken sailors".

WHY? Do men on some level thing the players or refs can hear them? Why so much vulgarity? Is this normal? The three of them have three different political points of view, but I don't hear any of them yelling like maniacs when the news is not in their favor.

What gives? Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 07:16 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Oh sorry, but your post is hilarious...

and I know exactly what you mean.
But I can't say why...unless it's some strange bonding. The language just fits in with the bonding, I suppose.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:27 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
They are living vicariously through others and making a game of it to, by playing 'sports executive' with Fantasy leagues etc...

They know they can't hear them but it's tribal bonding event to certain members of the male species. They may also be reliving younger years (high school / college etc)

I like the sport for the strategy, but in this day and age of changing rules, free agency, non allegiance, criminal elements, and multimillionaire players, I have no affinity for either the players, coaches or teams, I watch sort of for the same reason people crane their necks and slow down for an auto accident or simply watch the condensed highlights to see the great plays.

Hey, would you like to play patty cake instead? I always picture your profile name as Sheena queen of the jungle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMbS1fBttag

Old 09-10-2018, 07:30 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,308,551 times
Some women get into it too. I also think it is a outlet for people who are competitive. They seem to enjoy it though.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
Some women get into it too. I also think it is a outlet for people who are competitive. They seem to enjoy it though.
Actually, I like football. I like all sports, but I like them more in person than on TV.

I really enjoy film. But I don't scream and curse like a maniac when I movie I don't love wins the Academy Awards.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:28 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
I have no idea. I personally could care less about football or basketball or baseball. I have better things to do. The most I’ll” watch is the last two championship and Super Bowl football games. That’s about the extent of my sports watching. I’ll watch a motorsports Baja or Rally race but other than that I dont watch much sports. Sometimes 8 watch a car maintenance show.
My stepdad was like one of the cretins you have in your living room, who would act like a lunatic when it came to his alma matter or pro football. I mean he would go absolutely insane. Cussing screaming and carrying on like a child. I thought he was a absolute idiot. I had very little respect for the man.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:00 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
Sports freaks are somehow encouraged to amp up their "game behavior" simply because they are in their
social element, so, they become acceptably deranged simply by the fact of their favorite pastime being a type of national obsession. Going out to a bar for an afternoon happy hour on game day can be a real experience, incivility, loud obnoxious types dominating the place, and most bartenders will shy away from saying anything for fear of having one of those drunken amped up morons violently confronting them.

Just the other day I witnessed a young guy and his friends talking crap and generally being jerks, they were discussing the latest game they saw, and all were "experts," in their minds--better than the players...Just plain stupid, I feel sorry for some of these idiots just because they have nothing else in life to hang on to, but then again--they don't look too hard either..

Old 09-10-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
They are living vicariously through others and making a game of it to, by playing 'sports executive' with Fantasy leagues etc...

They know they can't hear them but it's tribal bonding event to certain members of the male species. They may also be reliving younger years (high school / college etc)

I like the sport for the strategy, but in this day and age of changing rules, free agency, non allegiance, criminal elements, and multimillionaire players, I have no affinity for either the players, coaches or teams, I watch sort of for the same reason people crane their necks and slow down for an auto accident or simply watch the condensed highlights to see the great plays.

Hey, would you like to play patty cake instead? I always picture your profile name as Sheena queen of the jungle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMbS1fBttag
Actually, my screen name has nothing to do with Sheena Queen of the Jungle.

It does have to do with this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=yCW7Aw8ugOI

Old 09-11-2018, 03:47 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
My older brothers used to do this when I was a kid and I would just clear out of the house. They would burn hours up and would watch another game after the first one got over. I never did get into to watching sports on tv, or even going to games. I did love to play sports, but sitting for hours while a game is on feels like a lost time.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:06 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
I remember a study by the University of Georgia that showed that some men do actually experience hormonal and other physiological changes when watching a game and that the pattern mirrors the type of hormonal changes that occur in male animals who are fighting over a mate.

I think this behavior, and the reaction it brings from other family members, was the origin of the "man cave" we hear so much about these days. Men who get this way during sports just want to be able to enjoy their sports in peace.

It's not all bad. It can be a stress reliever and a way for them to bond with friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology