Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 06:50 PM

17,664 posts, read 9,155,986 times

Advertisements

I think the OP may be hinting that he believes this is something sexual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 08:02 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyihavequestions View Post

I get a haircut at this place and one of the ladies there made a joke like i had food on my face or something, I just laughed but feel stupid for laughing because its clearly a joke or something about me.. I didn't have food on my face and she even touched my face to wipe off some food like there was something there.. no there wasn't and it isn't funny. You're a stranger to me

Get a haircut in a barber shop.
Older women ( women in general) dont typically frequent those; unless with husband's or SOs.

Don't make eye contact, it implies you're friendly and open to conversation.

Curious how you get along with women your own age?

Old 09-15-2018, 08:16 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
I used to have this problem when I worked in a bank with mainly older, married women. I was single, on my own and with no kids. For some reason, some of the other women thought they had to "look after me" and I was almost 30 (but I looked young).

The worst was when they felt I should never spend a holiday alone. I finally found some backbone and quit letting myself be pressured into joining holidays, but one woman wasn't having it. When she invited me over for Christmas, I told her thank you and that I had other plans. Her response? "We WILL see you there." I didn't go and she was so ticked she barely spoke to me for the rest of the time I worked there.

That's the problem with letting people mother you. They get totally bent out of shape if you decide not to play child to their parent role. When they decide to mother someone, they really mean mother. As in, they treat you like you're five years old and they want to make all your decisions for you. Sometimes I think these women are just trying to relive a time when their own kids were young.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I used to have this problem when I worked in a bank with mainly older, married women. I was single, on my own and with no kids. For some reason, some of the other women thought they had to "look after me" and I was almost 30 (but I looked young).

The worst was when they felt I should never spend a holiday alone. I finally found some backbone and quit letting myself be pressured into joining holidays, but one woman wasn't having it. When she invited me over for Christmas, I told her thank you and that I had other plans. Her response? "We WILL see you there." I didn't go and she was so ticked she barely spoke to me for the rest of the time I worked there.

That's the problem with letting people mother you. They get totally bent out of shape if you decide not to play child to their parent role. When they decide to mother someone, they really mean mother. As in, they treat you like you're five years old and they want to make all your decisions for you. Sometimes I think these women are just trying to relive a time when their own kids were young.
Don't share your personal life at work! When you do, its opens the door.

I'd imagine their kids have probably shut down mom too.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:32 PM

149 posts, read 104,180 times
Could this be some form of passive aggressive power play? These women appear to want to mother you, but in reality are putting you down in public by controlling and manipulating your emotions. Are some of these women co-workers? If so, they might see you as competition. What to do? Ignore them. Or play along as in "Do you have any daughters that are my age that are still virgins?"

Old 09-15-2018, 08:40 PM

27 posts, read 12,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAngus View Post
Could this be some form of passive aggressive power play? These women appear to want to mother you, but in reality are putting you down in public by controlling and manipulating your emotions. Are some of these women co-workers? If so, they might see you as competition. What to do? Ignore them. Or play along as in "Do you have any daughters that are my age that are still virgins?"

That's my point, this is a psychological tactic even if they don't know what they're doing
I feel embarrassed because it makes me feel like they're saying look at this guy he must need some attention etc...

Old 09-15-2018, 08:50 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
Just wait until you're a widower and the 40-70-year-old set brings you casseroles.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Just wait until you're a widower and the 40-70-year-old set brings you casseroles.
Are they good cooks...lols

Old 09-16-2018, 09:43 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I had something similar happen to me at my first job after college. Only instead of an older widower, I was 22 and single. I did internal tech support in the IT department, and I was the youngest person in IT. The marketing department was mostly women 50+. They had this thing once a week, where they'd order a Lou Malnati's pizza (a well-known Chicago chain). After they got to know me, whenever I got dispatched to their department during lunch, they'd offer me a slice.

IT ate their lunch at a different time than most departments (I ate mine later), so we could work on people's computers during downtime. Which meant Marketing ate when I didn't. Maybe my "bright eyed and bushy tailed" young self reminded them of their kids or grandkids, or maybe they feared I subsisted on ramen noodles and Dollar Menu burgers, I don't know. But they'd always offer me to share in the pizza.

In a way, I probably did it to myself, by talking openly about my fresh-out-of-college life. As opposed to being more secretive about my personal life, or even fibbing a little, like I do today. At first, I accepted food without question, and of course, thanked them. But after it became a regular thing, my conscience started to gnaw at me, because I felt like I was freeloading. So I insisted on pitching in fairly, or occasionally declined to partake. They pushed back at first, but I told them I didn't feel right taking the food without contributing.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 09-16-2018 at 09:59 AM..

Old 09-16-2018, 03:39 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Don't share your personal life at work! When you do, its opens the door.

I'd imagine their kids have probably shut down mom too.
I wasn't thinking when someone would ask me what I planned to do for the holidays (doesn't everyone get asked that?). One little mistake...but that's how you learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology