Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 04:08 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Very old photography technology meant some parts of the image faded faster. In particular, eyes seem to pop out eerily in original sepia photography that has aged. People were also often posed very stiffly as any movement would have blurred the final result, adding to the strange, staring effect.
That's a different thing entirely since those were much older than the period I'm talking about.

But just as creepy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 06:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Somebody told be that photos only used to be in black and white ... don't know if it's true.
Black and white photis were the default for many years. Color film was quite expensive, if it was available at all.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:48 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Well, not every photo was creepy, but a lot of them are. Some other posters have touched on the points about masks and costumes being homemade. And it was fairly normal for adults to dress in homemade costumes for Halloween parties, back in the day. So we are seeing costumes without filters, so to speak. It was OK for kids to dress up in Klan masks or adults in blackface. It is not OK to do that now.

But basically, I think you are finding them creepy because they are meant to be creepy. Perhaps the people in the oldest pics would not have used the word creepy, to describe their getups. But I think Halloween was a time in a socially constricted time, for kids and adults to be outrageous. So they were outrageous with abandon.

That’s my best guess.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:25 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
It's most likely not the photos themselves, it's you attaching some personal fears to them. For some reason the photos dredge up fears that the present-day you has. What are you afraid of? Do the photos remind you of these things?
No, they ARE creepy. Old-timey Halloween costumes are the stuff of nightmares, perhaps because of their primitive (compared to now) materials used to create them... if you don't believe me, take a gander at these:

(kinda racist too!)

Old 09-30-2018, 07:27 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Looking at a few of these images, a great deal of the creepiness for me comes from the fact that the backgrounds look like either an apocalypse just took place, or they were taken in that room from the end of "The Blair Witch Project." And then you have the Uncanny Valley effect of a lot of the masks, which look almost, but not quite, realistic.
Like this? I mean, what is even going on here... Popeye, Mickey, and Donald started a cult??

Old 10-01-2018, 05:09 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
Quote:
Somebody told be that photos only used to be in black and white ... don't know if it's true.

Please tell me you are joking.... or that you are very, very young.

What I find creepy are old Civil War and old West photos - finally figured it out, everyone has light colored eyes (I mean the caucasians). You don't see that as much anymore now that we have a more diverse population

Old 10-01-2018, 06:01 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
They do look creepier from back then. I'm not sure why.

Maybe it's because of the black and white photos? Old B&W movies are much creepier than films made today because the director used lights and shadows rather than visual buckets of blood and gore.

Maybe it's as simple as the difference between jumping out and screaming "BOO!!!!" or remaining quiet, hidden and lightly whispering "boo!". The latter is scarier, but it's difficult to really understand or explain why.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:01 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,500 times
If they are Victorian era photos, I can understand. The people in those photos look creepy even without the masks. IDK there is just something creepy about that era to me anyway.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:02 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
No, they ARE creepy. Old-timey Halloween costumes are the stuff of nightmares, perhaps because of their primitive (compared to now) materials used to create them... if you don't believe me, take a gander at these:

(kinda racist too!)

yikes!!!!

Old 10-01-2018, 11:22 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
somebody told be that photos only used to be in black and white ... Don't know if it's true.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology