Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 08:20 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,249 times

Advertisements

To meet the listing for PD's you must prove you meet both requirements.

1. A diagnosis of a personality disorder plus one of the following:
  • inappropriate suspiciousness or distrust of others
  • detachment from social relationships
  • unstable personal relationships with impulsive and damaging behaviors
  • disregard for and violation of the rights of others;
  • excessive emotionality and attention seeking behavior
  • Feelings of inadequacy
  • Excessive need to be taken care of
  • Preoccupation with perfectionism and orderliness, or
  • recurrent, impulsive, and aggressive behavioral outbursts.
2. Severe limitations in functioning (either one extreme limitation or at least two severe limitations in two areas:
  • concentrating on tasks (completing tasks in a timely manner, ignoring or avoiding distractions while working, changing activities or work settings without being disruptive, working close to or with others without interrupting or distracting them)
  • adapting or managing oneself (adapting to changes, controlling one’s behavior, being aware of normal hazards and taking appropriate precautions)
  • interacting with others (responding to suggestions, criticism, correction, and challenges appropriately)
  • learning, understanding and remembering information (following oral instructions, using reason and judgment to make work-related decisions).
They will also want medical evidence. Findings from a psychiatrist or psychologist, the effect of impairments on functional abilities and how long impairments are expected to last, treatment history, etc

If they decide a condition doesn't meet the requirements of the personality disorders listing, it will consider whether the limitations should really be keeping someone from working. Social Security will create a mental residual functional capacity (RFC) assessment for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 10:01 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Eighty percent of the population would be out of work.

It's the mental illnesses that may go along with PDs that can cause disability.
Personality disorders are mental illnesses.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:07 PM

29 posts, read 22,280 times
perhaps

Old 11-21-2018, 10:10 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Here's the actual info from the SSA website:

https://www.ssa.gov/disability/profe...dult.htm#12_08

Getting approved for SS disability based on personality disorder is actually pretty difficult from what I read.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:14 PM

29 posts, read 22,280 times
my sister is a prime example of knowing how to work the system. Back in the early 70s it was much easier to fake being mentally unstable. she knew just what to do to start and maintain a paper trail. she would do things that would end her up in the local mental ward in a town close to us when I was growing up oh I was about 13 she 16 when she started this shanagines.

She did it so well that she ended up getting SSI and bragged about it. In the end it caught up with her and she did show signs of true mental illness. She ended up dying due to her alcoholic life style. sad to watch and even sadder knowing that she could have made something of her life if she choose to.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:36 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
In some instances - yes. When you experience a mental illness that leaves you emotionally unstable and uncertain about your identity, you may suffer from borderline personality disorder. This condition can make it very difficult for sufferers to work in order to support themselves.
You can read more about here:]
My mother had borderline personality disorder. Working was a challenge for her although she held down a job most of her life. But there were never-ending conflicts with co-workers and bosses.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:58 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readrbuff2018 View Post
my sister is a prime example of knowing how to work the system. Back in the early 70s it was much easier to fake being mentally unstable. she knew just what to do to start and maintain a paper trail. she would do things that would end her up in the local mental ward in a town close to us when I was growing up oh I was about 13 she 16 when she started this shanagines.

She did it so well that she ended up getting SSI and bragged about it. In the end it caught up with her and she did show signs of true mental illness. She ended up dying due to her alcoholic life style. sad to watch and even sadder knowing that she could have made something of her life if she choose to.
It's not sane to fake a mental illness and get locked up in mental wards, just to get an amount of money you can't really live on. Doing so is, well, crazy.

So, I think your assessment of her is wrong. Nobody does crazy things, and then by doing crazy things end up becoming crazy - who was actually sane to begin with, but faking they were crazy.

It's just not reasonable of you to think this makes sense. I think you're judging her incorrectly.

She may have been smart enough to understand the system, but that doesn't mean she wasn't mentally ill. Mentally ill people can actually be really smart and even manipulative, and good at appearing okay a lot of the time.

But, seriously, sane people don't act like your sister did. You might want to alter your memory of her as far as trying to understand that she was always mentally ill, but doing the best she could.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:13 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
Personality disorders are included in Social Security’s “Listings of Mental Impairments” with very stringent criteria to “meet or equal” the Listing. That said, when it comes to Social Security’s evaluation of mental impairments, it’s the luck of the draw. Depending on what examiner reviews your claim or, what judge hears your case, you will need very thorough medical documentation over at least 12 months to be found disabled. With less inpatient hospitalizations for mental impairments these days, obtaining that documentation from a treating source can be quite a challenge. And, because assessing a mental impairment’s impact on functioning is less clear cut than with physical impairments, personal bias is more of a factor. Get a judge who is sympathetic to mental impairments being disabling and you may be disabled. Get a judge who rejects the notion that most mental impairments are not disabling and you are out of luck.

Old 11-22-2018, 12:35 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
It's not sane to fake a mental illness and get locked up in mental wards, just to get an amount of money you can't really live on. Doing so is, well, crazy.

So, I think your assessment of her is wrong. Nobody does crazy things, and then by doing crazy things end up becoming crazy - who was actually sane to begin with, but faking they were crazy.

It's just not reasonable of you to think this makes sense. I think you're judging her incorrectly.

She may have been smart enough to understand the system, but that doesn't mean she wasn't mentally ill. Mentally ill people can actually be really smart and even manipulative, and good at appearing okay a lot of the time.

But, seriously, sane people don't act like your sister did. You might want to alter your memory of her as far as trying to understand that she was always mentally ill, but doing the best she could.
I agree. Not judging the poster's sister, but "faking" a mental illness to get social security is a lot of work for a paltry amount. It obviously helps those who need it but there are easier ways to get a comparable amount of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology