Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2018, 12:23 PM

4 posts, read 3,400 times

Advertisements

I've always wondered this, It seems like with many other skills (language skills, study skills), I know people who have severely lacked in those areas and improved themselves. I know people who didn't speak a word of English and learned English as well as changed their accent. People who were thought of as "dumb" improving their grades on going on to good universities.

Yet it seems that those with poor social skills in particular concerning dating, are unable to solve the issue even if they know the problem. Why is this?

Could it be the fact that there's no decent feedback on what the actual problem is? It's hard to work on improving when no one tells you anything. As well perhaps is that it's a complex issue and perhaps poor social skills are a symptom of something big rather than the problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 01:59 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyhalpinkelly View Post
I've always wondered this, It seems like with many other skills (language skills, study skills), I know people who have severely lacked in those areas and improved themselves. I know people who didn't speak a word of English and learned English as well as changed their accent. People who were thought of as "dumb" improving their grades on going on to good universities.

Yet it seems that those with poor social skills in particular concerning dating, are unable to solve the issue even if they know the problem. Why is this?

Could it be the fact that there's no decent feedback on what the actual problem is? It's hard to work on improving when no one tells you anything. As well perhaps is that it's a complex issue and perhaps poor social skills are a symptom of something big rather than the problem
The skills you mentioned (language, study, etc) can be addressed using logic and reason. Often these are easier for people because they don't involve as much emotion. It's harder to control emotional responses. What might work in one situation won't in another because every person involved is different.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:48 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I have considered this, too, especially as a heavy contributor on the Relationships forum here.

For one thing, being able to make use of constructive feedback about how others perceive you socially, requires a certain emotional intelligence to begin with. And an ability to take it as feedback and not a personal attack.

Also, I think that a lot of the problems people exhibit in dealing with others, are things trained into them during childhood, when the people around us were setting the programming, the code, on how to interact with others. Breaking that code and figuring out how to rewrite it in a deliberate way, is not simple. It can be done, but the only success stories I know of involved major self-improvement, and it was the work of many years.

And then there is the fact that there's only so much useful information that I (for instance) can give to someone I only know on the internet. In order to give better feedback I'd have to meet someone in person to do it. And yet a hallmark of someone with social awkwardness is that they may not socialize a whole lot, so they might not be building connections with people who could be capable of helping them.

I wonder if it would be useful to set up a sort of coaching service. I have a slightly ridiculous number of friends who are doing "Life Coaching" these days, I wonder if "Social Coaching" would catch on, huh?

Old 11-26-2018, 09:07 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
My former therapist once said to me, "You know, some of what this is is really about is teaching people skills that they missed somewhere along the line."

That made perfect sense to me. I have thought about this, too.

Most people to a different extent explore and develop their dating skills as teenagers, in high school. Some, however, don't get that chance. I think if your dating opportunities are delayed into your 20s or beyond, you've missed a window of basic learning about relationships. It's like being out of school sick for a year when arithmetic was taught. Everyone else already knows things that you missed, and even though you try to catch up while you moved forward, you are still uncertain about things that regular people don't even think about.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:23 PM

6,868 posts, read 4,866,838 times
I can think of two things....lack of self confidence and/or lack of interest in others.

Someone without self confidence won't put themselves out there.

A confident person that talks at someone instead of with someone is going to be off putting.

I am sure there are many other things. Charm school or finishing school used to be available for women. I don't know if men had an equivalent.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:27 PM

6,868 posts, read 4,866,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I have considered this, too, especially as a heavy contributor on the Relationships forum here.

For one thing, being able to make use of constructive feedback about how others perceive you socially, requires a certain emotional intelligence to begin with. And an ability to take it as feedback and not a personal attack.

Also, I think that a lot of the problems people exhibit in dealing with others, are things trained into them during childhood, when the people around us were setting the programming, the code, on how to interact with others. Breaking that code and figuring out how to rewrite it in a deliberate way, is not simple. It can be done, but the only success stories I know of involved major self-improvement, and it was the work of many years.

And then there is the fact that there's only so much useful information that I (for instance) can give to someone I only know on the internet. In order to give better feedback I'd have to meet someone in person to do it. And yet a hallmark of someone with social awkwardness is that they may not socialize a whole lot, so they might not be building connections with people who could be capable of helping them.

I wonder if it would be useful to set up a sort of coaching service. I have a slightly ridiculous number of friends who are doing "Life Coaching" these days, I wonder if "Social Coaching" would catch on, huh?
I like your post but I can't give you anymore reputation. Apparently I have liked some of your posts elsewhere. I don't generally look at the handles on the posts so I don't know which ones they were.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:16 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
I don't think there is a magic formula for dating, nor any formula at all.

Each two individuals react to each other in a unique way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology