Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are the prime reasons causing your depression?
Romantic disappointment 15 26.79%
Substance abuse 2 3.57%
Ill health 15 26.79%
Financial worries 21 37.50%
Death(s) in family and/or friends 10 17.86%
Concerns about political events 11 19.64%
Concerns about the environment 6 10.71%
Religious issues 2 3.57%
Social isolation 15 26.79%
General sense of despair 22 39.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 06:44 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,911,209 times

Advertisements

I've noticed about myself that while I may get tired after a day's work, even become tearful and depressed, I usually sleep well and wake up ready to conquer the world again. I don't suffer from debilitating depression. My enjoyment of life is intact, despite occasional down moments. I'm lucky.

To me, planetary events, politically and environmentally, are the greatest source of depression, particularly the rise of authoritarianism worldwide, and the possible demise of democracy.

au·thor·i·tar·i·an·ism
[ôˌTHäriˈterēənizəm]
NOUN
the enforcement or advocacy of strict obedience to authority at the expense of personal freedom.
lack of concern for the wishes or opinions of others.

I have an adult student, a distinguished econ professor, who was saying something about the U.S. breaking up into sections. Not sure what that was about. And I am very troubled by how animals are treated. I was very upset about this:

Anger Erupts After Danish Zoo Kills a ‘Surplus’ Giraffe
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/10/w...a-giraffe.html

This same professor, who is just a few months younger than me (68), and is about to retire, says his students, with the exception of maybe five or six per class, tend to be rude, play on their phones during class, don't show up for exams (he flunks them and they don't care), and don't read his carefully crafted handouts, leaving them in the trash outside the classroom.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 07-26-2018 at 07:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 09:42 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
The professor is burned out.

I too do not suffer from clinical depression. I am thankful for that.

I have noticed that I seem to feel a sort of dullness, though. I do not look forward to things like I have in the past. But I don’t become angry as easily, either. I do derive pleasure from some things.

I imagine clinical depression would be a living hell, and I sympathize with anyone who suffers with it.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:33 AM

125 posts, read 64,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I've noticed about myself that while I may get tired after a day's work, even become tearful and depressed, I usually sleep well and wake up ready to conquer the world again. I don't suffer from debilitating depression. My enjoyment of life is intact, despite occasional down moments. I'm lucky.

To me, planetary events, politically and environmentally, are the greatest source of depression, particularly the rise of authoritarianism worldwide, and the possible demise of democracy.

au·thor·i·tar·i·an·ism
[ôˌTHäriˈterēənizəm]
NOUN
the enforcement or advocacy of strict obedience to authority at the expense of personal freedom.
lack of concern for the wishes or opinions of others.

I have an adult student, a distinguished econ professor, who was saying something about the U.S. breaking up into sections. Not sure what that was about. And I am very troubled by how animals are treated. I was very upset about this:

Anger Erupts After Danish Zoo Kills a ‘Surplus’ Giraffe
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/10/w...a-giraffe.html

This same professor, who is just a few months younger than me (68), and is about to retire, says his students, with the exception of maybe five or six per class, tend to be rude, play on their phones during class, don't show up for exams (he flunks them and they don't care), and don't read his carefully crafted handouts, leaving them in the trash outside the classroom.
I became much happier when I stopped reading "news" stories that really have no impact on my circle of reference. The giraffe story would be a prime example of this.

It seems as if you are allowing external stimuli to regulate your moods and emotions. I would take note that so much of the "news" is not actually news but merely salacious or shocking tidbits about rare events that dont actually affect the lives of most people. I believe you really would benefit from severely limiting your intake of current events.

Do you REALLY think our nation is going to break up into sections in the near future? Or even the far future? How is what you are reading actually affecting your everyday life, other than making you tense and depressed? It's not keeping you informed about anything incredibly meaningful.

Try an experiment and stop consuming any "news" for a week. See how much better you feel after 5 days.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:37 AM

6,310 posts, read 4,204,998 times
I don't have clinical depression and rarely face situational depression. I get down in the dumps now and again, especially as I struggle with chronic back issues, but I snap out of it and focus on what I am grateful for and enjoy life. After having suffered several bouts of serious depression due to circumstances beyond my control I have developed tools to crawl my way out of it, and fall back on them when I feel down in the dumps.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:42 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,911,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken-wings View Post
I became much happier when I stopped reading "news" stories that really have no impact on my circle of reference. The giraffe story would be a prime example of this.

It seems as if you are allowing external stimuli to regulate your moods and emotions. I would take note that so much of the "news" is not actually news but merely salacious or shocking tidbits about rare events that dont actually affect the lives of most people. I believe you really would benefit from severely limiting your intake of current events.

Do you REALLY think our nation is going to break up into sections in the near future? Or even the far future? How is what you are reading actually affecting your everyday life, other than making you tense and depressed? It's not keeping you informed about anything incredibly meaningful.

Try an experiment and stop consuming any "news" for a week. See how much better you feel after 5 days.
I know you're right, and I posted a thread about that not too long ago. See:

Anxiety over political issues?

The break from the news lasted about 10 days. It's just so damn fascinating, better than the movies.

Incidentally, not sure I agree with "It's not keeping you informed about anything incredibly meaningful." That is primarily why I continue following. I don't see how you can say that. It's history happening before your eyes.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 07-26-2018 at 11:05 AM..

Old 07-26-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:

It's just so damn fascinating, better than the movies.
At what cost?

Old 07-26-2018, 11:07 AM

35,091 posts, read 31,339,345 times
I was probably clinically depressed in 2013. I was highly suicidal for several months.

I was fired from a job. Had to take three low paying jobs that year, each paying less than the last. I had no benefits of any kind. My best friend committed suicide.

It really took about a year for things to turn around in any meaningful way.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:17 AM

45,439 posts, read 60,638,057 times
You didn't list my current source of depression: a squirrel in my living room ceiling that won't go into the trap and that is slowly destroying the ceiling. In there since Monday, the exterminator is going to go nuclear on it this afternoon.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:17 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,974 times
I don't know if what I feel is normal or abnormal, but most times I am a very forward-looking, can-do, level headed person. Maybe once a week or once every two weeks, I'll have a moment where I'm excessively irritable, but I'm smart enough to use that time to separate myself from being short with someone or acting on an impulse. I wait a few minutes, go for a drive, have a coffee, and I'm fine in less than an hour. I feel like those moments I need to separate myself.

Other than that, I wouldn't say "depression".

Old 07-26-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I know you're right, and I posted a thread about that not too long ago. See:

Anxiety over political issues?

The break from the news lasted about 10 days. It's just so damn fascinating, better than the movies.

Incidentally, not sure I agree with "It's not keeping you informed about anything incredibly meaningful." That is primarily why I continue following. I don't see how you can say that. It's history happening before your eyes.
That's my point. Not everything broadcast is actual news or even history. The 24-hour news cycle changed everything to the point that minutiae become updates. You just don't need to know everything that is happening. The world is not worse than it's ever been and in fact is a whole lot better than it's been many times in the past.

You clearly are not engaging a strong enough filter because the giraffe story is a perfect example of something that is upsetting but not actually relevant for you to continue living your life. Your refusal to discern between trivia and history is affecting your well-being.

I think you would be seriously shocked at how much better you feel when you unplug. After that week subscribe only to the Sunday print edition of the NYT. You will be informed without overdosing, which is what is happening to you now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology