Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 09:39 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times

Advertisements

Actually, I will say NOW is.

Our children are grown and turned out very nice young men with no drug dependencies, TG! (one son likes his booze, but I can handle that)

We have no financial worries. I love where I'm living. We have a beautiful grand-daughter who lives next door. We travel often. We camp every summer at a lovely lake and have fun with the other campers (friends) We have a great circle of friends. No one close to me has passed away lately.

Yep, life is good. Only one thing I could say that is not so good, but acceptable...I hate the winter- snow and cold
BUT, we have no tornadoes, no hurricanes, no earthquakes or tsunamis to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 10:38 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,233,223 times
I'm 23, so I haven't lived as long as some of the other posters; however, the best and happiest time of my life is now:

-I graduated from college back in May, earning my BBA in Finance. I immediately started working as a Financial Analyst about two weeks later. Six months later, I ended up resigning from that position to work in a similar role but with a better company and in a more preferable location: Center City Philadelphia. This leads into my second point...

-I'm able to live and work in my favorite city, Philly! I absolutely love it here, and I have no plans to leave.

-I travel frequently. Most of my trips involve cities in the Northeast, but I'll be visiting several places (Chicago, San Francisco, and Detroit, namely) in 2019. I'll also be traveling internationally, visiting Toronto in February and either Australia or China this summer!

-I'm the oldest sibling of a wonderful family. I love my little brother (21), baby sisters (18, 14, and 7), and my mom. I'm also able to help my mom financially after she went through a major falling out with her last company, which naturally helps my 14 and 7 year old baby sisters since they live with her.

-I have an incredible group of friends

-My career has just started, but I aspire to be a CFO one day. I feel that it's entirely attainable, which makes me extremely happy!

I'd post more, but I'm at work!

Old 12-07-2018, 01:30 PM

2,362 posts, read 1,924,785 times
early childhood...
25 to 35...25 being the best year and very slowly less and les each year

35 to 40 was ok

40-45 was rough
45-49 very rough

this past year has been borderline unbearable

Old 12-07-2018, 01:44 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
I notice a lot of you bring up happiness with your work. The happiest I was with work was when I had the least amount of responsibility. Later, with more responsibility and income, it's just a necessity, even if I really like my job I would always rather not be doing it, and get no validation or sense of self from work - just not wired that way. I've had problems with men who strongly validated themselves by their work, and a disconnect there.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:46 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,631 times
I loved college. It was a lot of fun and I achieved my goals.

I loved the early years with my husband. We had a lot of fun together.

I loved being a SAHM to my daughter; especially during the early years. The mommy circuit was fun. We had plans all day, every day. I loved it. We traveled the world and lived in several different places (domestic and abroad) due to corporate relos. It was not easy, but it was always interesting.

I could skip on the high school years.

The last few years have been really nice. My daughter recently graduated from college and loves her new career (ICU nurse). It is very satisfying to see her successfully "adulting."

My husband and I have a better relationship than ever.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:47 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
early childhood...
25 to 35...25 being the best year and very slowly less and les each year

35 to 40 was ok

40-45 was rough
45-49 very rough

this past year has been borderline unbearable
Sorry to hear that. I hope things turn around for you soon.

Old 12-07-2018, 03:35 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,486,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
This was easy for me to answer. It was the years when I spent about three hours of my time each weekday, as a volunteer instructor at our university, in adaptive physical education. I was working in a gym with people who had a full range of impairments. Some were just temporary injuries, while others were more permanent and disabling.

I worked out an exercise plan for each person and assisted them in performing it. Often, I needed to obtain special adapters to allow them to use equipment or I would design and build whatever gadgets were needed. I saw a lot of improvement in strength, fitness and mental attitude in many of the students. The more impaired ones would find their daily lives improved, by being able to do more things for themselves at home and increasing their mobility.

It was a very sad time for me, when the state legislature chopped the budget for higher education and the entire adaptive P. E. program had to be cancelled. I think that while I was doing that activity, I got as many benefits from it, as any of the students.
That is tragic. At least you were able to help some. Budget cuts always affect the most vulnerable.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:50 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
Anytime I go to Telluride with my wife... It’s a slice of heaven on earth for me.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:04 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,028 times
The time I lived in Texas and spent so much time with great people. We were slackers,smoked a lot of weed, laughed, went with the flow, talking about or seeing bands was a high priority. I felt free even if I was actually hiding from being a grown up. Lol

A close second-The first time I saw Hamilton. Seriously, I was just talking to my BFF and I said I wonder if anything would make me feel that happy again.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:57 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Living in Key West for 3 years when I was 19-22 or so....ocean everywhere, rent $60 a month,
my own cottage and doggy and car and easy job...famous people liking me....spirituality reeking from everywhere.
Moonlight reflecting off the ocean, gardenia and night blooming Jasmine as you road your bike...
but the Passion flowers in my courtyard!.....Young, tan and blonde

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology