Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 03:28 PM

716 posts, read 557,637 times

Advertisements

My son is in his early 30's and about a year ago (after looking up what Aspergers was) I realized he has all the typical characteristics. He can talk for hours about his favorite topics but can't make two minutes of small talk. He is very psychologically smart and has outstanding game strategy, but also has stuffed animals that he makes "talk" and they have their own imaginary world. It's all quite peculiar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 03:33 PM

5,194 posts, read 1,872,370 times
I have Asperger's syndrome. I have little to no interest in sex, and yes I find social interactions awkward and difficult, but the incentive to become better at it, with regards to women, has never been that high, because I am now what I would consider to be almost 100% asexual.

So to answer the question, do I think people with the condition are unattractive to women? It almost certainly varies between individuals with Asperger's, but in my experience, most definitely. I don't always know why either, but it's a combination of body language, being quite aloof (not deliberately though), and un-assertive as well, I get used or fooled by people when they want something easily. I mean people talk about "alpha" and "beta" males well I'd probably be an "omega" male - but I couldn't care a feather or a fig. I was made the way I am and that's who I am.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:08 PM

854 posts, read 520,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGardens View Post
I had a doctor tell me I have it but never got a second opinion. I was young so I am not sure about methods of data on how you justify a person as having it. So I am not even sure if I have it.

If a women knows a man has asperger's syndrome does that make him less attractive to the women? I know this is a generalization but do you think it is seen as a weird thing to the majority of women?
Nope but I'm an aspie myself I'd rather be with someone similar who understands me and who I can relate to and feel comfortable with

Old 01-23-2019, 04:54 PM

89 posts, read 67,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
Nope but I'm an aspie myself I'd rather be with someone similar who understands me and who I can relate to and feel comfortable with
Do you know about toxoplasmosis?

Old 01-24-2019, 10:34 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,421 times
Quote:
Do you know about toxoplasmosis?
I don't know if you are being ironic - but that line is the epitome of how not to make a personal connection with someone who apparently likes cats.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:32 AM

89 posts, read 67,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
I don't know if you are being ironic - but that line is the epitome of how not to make a personal connection with someone who apparently likes cats.
Crazy-Cat-Lady is a term given to women who have toxoplasmosis which is her username. A very large percentage of the population has it. Apparently you can get it from touching cat urine. I would think she would want to know about it. Telling someone about a medical problem they might have is highly ethical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis

Last edited by BrainGardens; 01-25-2019 at 10:51 AM..

Old 01-25-2019, 10:41 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Crazy-Cat-Lady is a term given to women who have toxoplasmosis which is her username.
What? A crazy cat lady is someone who has a lot of cats. In popular culture it has little or nothing at all to do with toxoplasmosis.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:12 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Is she a tomboy? I heard a lot of female aspies have a lot of male friends, dress up like guys, and like guys stuff, like engineering or programming.
What??? I am a tomboy, have a lot of male friends, like guy stuff and prefer to wear jeans over skirts... but I am definitely not an aspy. I am really good with the public and work FOH in the hospitality industry.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:20 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
My son is in his early 30's and about a year ago (after looking up what Aspergers was) I realized he has all the typical characteristics. He can talk for hours about his favorite topics but can't make two minutes of small talk. He is very psychologically smart and has outstanding game strategy, but also has stuffed animals that he makes "talk" and they have their own imaginary world. It's all quite peculiar.
Is your son actually interested in having a girlfriend? Or is it more that YOU want to see him with one? If he wanted one, there are plenty of women who could like him. There are whole groups of people who are into fantasy worlds and gaming. They have conventions like Comic-Con and PAX. Otherwise, just let him be if he seems happy with his life.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:33 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
It also has to do with personality hence the word crazy.
You're being too literal and missing the joke. If I joke with my friend that she's a crazy cat lady, it's because she keeps rescuing stray cats. It's not because she has mental issues or that I think she's diseased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology