Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2018, 11:59 AM

482 posts, read 243,750 times

Advertisements

Long story short, I have two former childhood friends that got into meth in their 20's and 30's. Both have been on it solid for at least 10+ years other than the times they wound up in jail. In the last 3 years both of these guys have finally found sobriety. One of them found God, and the other was able to to utilize treatment through the VA from his time in the Navy.

Anyways, I have tried to be there for both of these guys for years only to be pushed away or ridiculed for "thinking I'm better than them" despite only trying to help. Now that they are both clean, I have been able to rehash somewhat of a relationship with both of them, but I'm still finding it very hard to get along with either of them consistently because it's as if anything or everything irritates them.

One of them is not as bad, but he still has this chip on his shoulder as if he feels that everyone thinks their better than him. It pops up at awkward or unexpected times too. One minute everything is fine, and then the next he's telling me about what a jerk I am or how lame something is that I have interest in. It's a hard relationship because in many ways are a decade apart in age despite actually being the same age. His decision making is very much like that of someone in their early 20's and not that of someone that is almost 40. While he has remained clean from meth, he now spends his money that he receives from a settlement chasing women half his age and playing online video games all day. I was hoping he would sorta grow up when he got clean, but it's been 2 years now, and I'm not seeing any more improvements in his judgement and mood swings.

The other guy pretty much hates the world and won't hardly ever leave his house. He too, is living off a settlement and inherited a home from his grandma, which allows him not to work. I've pretty much given up on the idea that he could ever be normal again at this point. He's visibly more fried and looks like a guy that's done way too much drugs. I'll swing by his place and say high too him every now and then. He's really into conspiracy theory stuff, and he recently posted something on my FB page about 911. I responded to it by saying that "I suppose it's possible" just to be somewhat agreeable despite the notion that I don't buy any of that stuff. What does he do? He deletes me from his friends list. I sent him a text to see what the deal was, and he responded by saying that " he didn't have time in his life for sheep, and to delete his number." I've known this guy for over 30 years, we were best friends in HS, and I've done nothing but help this guy for years.......... and that's how are friendship ends???

Will either of these guys ever recover, or are they basically burnt money at this point? I've seen drunks, potheads, and even people addicted to opiates for years on end make a full recovery, but it just seems like meth is a different animal.

Thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 12:16 PM

35,198 posts, read 31,530,217 times
Really depends on the individual.

I know a pair of twin sisters like this. They both got hooked on meth in their late teens/early 20s. One used more, and the other dealt more. The user ultimately died at 29. It's been a couple of years, but the dealer is now using herself and has been in and out of jail on VOPs. I doubt they will ever straighten up.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:02 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,993,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
I've known this guy for over 30 years, we were best friends in HS, and I've done nothing but help this guy for years.......... and that's how are friendship ends???

Will either of these guys ever recover, or are they basically burnt money at this point? I've seen drunks, potheads, and even people addicted to opiates for years on end make a full recovery, but it just seems like meth is a different animal.

Thoughts

Spider, post is old I know. I am curious about your friends. How did things work out for them?

Old 01-17-2019, 10:33 PM

83 posts, read 57,998 times
How do people get addicted to the likes of meth in the first place? I can certainly understand weed but meth, the hell?

Old 01-19-2019, 09:22 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,993,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newne View Post
How do people get addicted to the likes of meth in the first place? I can certainly understand weed but meth, the hell?
Especially the ingredients, what that stuff is made of is enough to kill you. Our daughter is a meth addict and she injects it. We have spent thousands trying to help rehab, bailing her out of jail. It's the worst nightmare you can ever imagine. This meth addiction has touched and taking it's toll on our whole family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology