Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 07:21 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,430,401 times

Advertisements

I think we all have many aspects to our personality, some good some bad. I think different aspects are brought out by different kinds of situations.

However, it's also true that we are each born with a basic personality that doesn't change much. Some people are naturally more competitive, some are more cooperative, some are more loving, etc.

And some have personality disorders -- narcissists, sociopaths, psychopaths, etc.

So I guess some people are just bad meanies. Do you think so? How often do you have an experience with a bad meanie? And I don't mean someone who was nasty because of the situation, like your car just rammed into their car. I'm talking about malice. How often does it seem to happen?

And there are all kinds of ways of being nasty, some more creative than others. Some are very subtle. The common theme is the other person wants you to feel bad in some way for some reason.

Of course we encounter this a lot if we spend any time online. Anonymity brings out the worst.

One thing I try to do is watch the nasty thoughts that wander through my mind. They are going to be there, better to acknowledge them than to deny them.

They say the worst fault is to be conscious of none, and I believe that. The book People of the Lie by M. Scott Peck is all about that. He says the truly evil people are the ones who perceive themselves as all sweetness and light. Those are the ones who can do the most damage.

See what I mean?

So have you had encounters with bad meanies, or anyone who is truly evil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 07:25 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,664,077 times
Most people with substance abuse issues or personality disorders are also "mean."

Old 04-14-2019, 07:29 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,755,090 times
I can't say I've noticed. Toxic people are easily identified and avoided.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:31 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,629,273 times
Most of the terribly behaved people I've encountered, barring those with dx'd disorders, have had quite a bit in common behind their behavior.

For the most part, they have overwhelmingly been people, who, for various reasons, experience a good deal of insecurity, and are generally primed to throw others under the bus before they, themselves get thrown under the bus. There is a very prevalent "be a dick to others before somebody has a chance to be a dick to you" mentality.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I can't say I've noticed. Toxic people are easily identified and avoided.
How? Is "Toxic" tattooed on their forehead? And what do you consider to be toxic?

Old 04-14-2019, 07:54 PM

372 posts, read 220,795 times
"So I guess some people are just bad meanies. Do you think so? "

Possibly, if they have some kind of disorder such as sociopathy, or perhaps malignant narcissism

Overall though, I don't think human beings are that simple.

I also think that neither our best nor our worst behaviours define us as people.

Because I'm not a mind reader, I go by the behaviour of others. That means I tend to be attracted to like people, and avoid people find say aggressive , clingy or in unpleasant in other ways-- I also avoid people who reflect my own perceived faults back at me. That means I have few friends, but value those I have.

In 71 years I have never come across a completely good nor a completely bad person, as far as I know. I have come across a few stinkers though. What HAS happened that my life heroes turned out to have feet of clay.EG Mohandas Gandhi, Mother Theresa, and Paramahansa Yogananda. These people each had human failings, so were not the saints widely thought.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( ((((9))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) ))))))))))))))

For one model of human consciousness, I recommend Transactional Analysis:

"Transactional analysis (TA) is a psychoanalytic theory and method of therapy wherein social transactions are analyzed to determine the ego state of the patient (whether parent-like, child-like, or adult-like) as a basis for understanding behavior.[1] In transactional analysis, the patient is taught to alter the ego state as a way to solve emotional problems. The method deviates from Freudian psychoanalysis which focuses on increasing awareness of the contents of unconsciously held ideas. Eric Berne developed the concept and paradigm of transactional analysis in the late 1950s."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transactional_analysis

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-14-2019 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: Please keep politics out of this forum.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
How? Is "Toxic" tattooed on their forehead? And what do you consider to be toxic?
Well, quite simply, you can observe: what they say, how they behave and how they conduct their lives.

And if you can't tell what is toxic behaviour, I'm not sure I can help you. Most people understand and follow their instincts about this stuff.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Well, quite simply, you can observe: what they say, how they behave and how they conduct their lives.

And if you can't tell what is toxic behaviour, I'm not sure I can help you. Most people understand and follow their instincts about this stuff.
In psychology, we try to define things and analyze them. Psychologists could just say everything is obvious, just follow instincts. But then we might as well not have any psychologists.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:18 PM

And if all everyone had to do was follow their instincts, no one would get into an abusive relationship, and no one would be conned by sociopaths.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:44 PM

Well, that's the thing. It's not possible for "everyone." People have varying levels of emotional intelligence. Still, those who stumble into abusive or sociopathic relationships and stay there are not the majority
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology