Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 06:22 PM

8 posts, read 4,878 times

Advertisements

people with and without psychological issues? This isn't a thread asking about whether I should use them or not but a general thread about anecdotal experiences with prescription drug use.

I live here in Ireland and a few family members of mine take these for their "anti-depressant" effects but stay off alcohol and other stuff purely for the side effects. They also exercise and eat healthy but they say that still doesn't help. Also one of my posh friends says that their brother, mother, sister and father use these in school/work and it helps them cope.

The general consensus however by not just many doctors but the public is that self medicating with drug and specifically these class of drugs is a recipe for a complete train wreck disaster (losing jobs, homelessness, trouble with the law).

Even self medicating aside, do you think that people can use these drugs or any without ill effects?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 06:24 PM

109 posts, read 61,975 times
I know a person who i addicted to benzos and he says it destroyed his relationships, so I guess the answer is no. It is not safe.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:28 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Yes, I do....for chronic pain and by prescription, of course. No ill effects of any kind, just pain relief, taken for a number of years.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:36 PM

89 posts, read 67,493 times
For anxiety benozos are dangerous and there are many other options like Picamilon, lemon balm, taurine, and rosea rhodiola. For even opiates for pain kratom is what you should be using. Phenylalanine I think could be used and there are many herbs I think that decrease pain as well.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:32 AM

1,456 posts, read 515,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Halpin-Kelly View Post
people with and without psychological issues? This isn't a thread asking about whether I should use them or not but a general thread about anecdotal experiences with prescription drug use.

I live here in Ireland and a few family members of mine take these for their "anti-depressant" effects but stay off alcohol and other stuff purely for the side effects. They also exercise and eat healthy but they say that still doesn't help. Also one of my posh friends says that their brother, mother, sister and father use these in school/work and it helps them cope.

The general consensus however by not just many doctors but the public is that self medicating with drug and specifically these class of drugs is a recipe for a complete train wreck disaster (losing jobs, homelessness, trouble with the law).

Even self medicating aside, do you think that people can use these drugs or any without ill effects?
To begin with, neither opiates nor benzos are anti-depressants and shouldn't be taken as such. Which is probably why they are not working for your family members. Opiates are generally taken for pain and benzos are minor tranquilizers.

With that out of the way, the answer to your thread title is no. Both benzos and opiates are strongly addictive and carry with them a great deal of potential side-effects, which is why in Europe a doctor wouldn't prescribe either for longer than is absolutely necessary, after that both tend to lose their efficacy, as your body adjusts to them, so the dozes would need to be varied/increased and the cycle would repeat itself. Not only that but when taken together they increase their toxicity and potential for overdose.

These drugs absolutely cannot be used for self-medication, as that would imply illegal purchase, since no self-respecting doctor would prescribe these as a standard depression treatment course.

And lastly, people can use these drugs but only on consultation with and prescription from a doctor. As for ill effects, all prescription drugs have side effects, how and if these present would depend on an individual, which is why it requires monitoring and review by a doctor.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:03 AM

20,394 posts, read 14,667,898 times
I think that what the OP is describing, is someone using excuses for addiction to drugs. People who are addicted to things often try to justify it. That would, at least, be my guess about what's going on there.

It's well known that these substances are HIGHLY addictive. The biggest danger I've seen (and I've seen it happen many times here in the US) is when someone becomes addicted to pain drugs, opioids/opiates and then the doctors stop prescribing it, like "whoops...you seem to be addicted, we can't have that now, no more drugs for you!" and then in desperation and withdrawal suffering, they first start trying to get their pills illegally, which exposes them to the black market for drugs (at least here in the States) and then wind up trying heroin, which either hooks them then kills them, or just kills them. Heroin is, in my opinion, taking your life into your hands. Deadly stuff. Most people I've known who have done heroin, it wasn't for kicks and recreation, it was after being already addicted via pain pills, to this class of drugs, and desperate for something to use for the same reasons.

But I have had hydrocodone and oxycodone prescribed in the past for when I had dental procedures, and based on my experiences with those things I feel odd about the idea that they are so addictive. I mean, I don't doubt, since I've known enough people who had that struggle. But I guess maybe one would have to take more than I did or take it for a longer time? Because I did not like the effects, and I didn't want to do it again once I'd taken one to try and manage the pain I was in. Mostly I wanted to be able to sleep, you know?...but those drugs gave me horrible vivid nightmares. So I couldn't even sleep! I switched to just regular ibuprofen/acetaminophen alternating, as fast as I could. So yeah, I don't personally understand how one gets addicted to this stuff...I just know that people do.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:33 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
Long term use of the drugs you are inquiring about equals addiction - whether prescribed or not - your body doesn't know the difference between prescribed or illegal.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:38 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,249 times
I have a Xanax prescription for panic attacks. It helps a lot when needed, but yeah, benzos are very addicting and addiction will happen. I do just fine with them, but I'm not taking them at every little inconvenience in life either.
Benzos are also depressants, so idk why someone with depression would use them

Old 03-20-2019, 01:16 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
When I quit smoking, my MD gave me a script for 45 benzos with five refills and told me to eat them like skittles but DO NOT SMOKE.

He told me if there was a problem, he could get me off the benzos but not the nicotine because it was a much more addictive substance.

I partied like a rock star and when they ran out, I no longer smoked, hadn't smoked, and haven't had a benzo since.

I quit smoking August 2003.

It's probably a case by case basis.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:29 PM

8 posts, read 4,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I have a Xanax prescription for panic attacks. It helps a lot when needed, but yeah, benzos are very addicting and addiction will happen. I do just fine with them, but I'm not taking them at every little inconvenience in life either.
Benzos are also depressants, so idk why someone with depression would use them
AFAIK, "depressant" just means CNS (central nervous system) depressant which are any drugs that slow down heart rate, blood pressure, and breathing. Since doctors have given me benzos for suicidal thoughts I'm pretty sure that they are fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology