Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 01:03 PM

8,667 posts, read 3,871,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
If you are interested in feeling better, look up info or books on neuroplasticity.
I’m a fortunate guy; I don’t suffer from depression myself - but I know people who do, and it’s your type of uneducated stereotype which keeps depression and mental health in the dark ages in terms of awareness and education.

Old 03-28-2019, 01:11 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I’m a fortunate guy; I don’t suffer from depression myself - but I know people who do, and it’s your type of uneducated stereotype which keeps depression and mental health in the dark ages in terms of awareness and education.
Hate to break it to you, but I am far from "uneducated," and I like to think I'm more "aware" than the average bear.

A lot of people like to play victim and are "arguing for their limitations" (Abraham Hicks).

I see you are in the latter camp - it's fine - there is nothing that anyone could probably say that would sway that position. The person has to be open to change.

There is a lot of new information on plasticity of the brain and what people can do to improve their mental health (from that perspective).

There are also a slew of holistic things people can do - but those who are going with mainstream ideas are not open to change, and that is the real issue.

Old 03-28-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Hate to break it to you, but I am far from "uneducated," and I like to think I'm more "aware" than the average bear.

A lot of people like to play victim and are "arguing for their limitations" (Abraham Hicks).

I see you are in the latter camp - it's fine - there is nothing that anyone could probably say that would sway that position. The person has to be open to change.

There is a lot of new information on plasticity of the brain and what people can do to improve their mental health (from that perspective).

There are also a slew of holistic things people can do - but those who are going with mainstream ideas are not open to change, and that is the real issue.
There is a difference between being sad (or unhappy) and being diagnosed with depression. You can try to negate that fact all you want - it’s still true. And yes, for you to assume holistic changes can help all people with (medically diagnosed) depression IS uneducated and irresponsible. The real issue is chemical imbalances of the brain do exist. And I support the OP (and the many people who suffer) in spreading awareness, not just depression but mental health as a whole.

Old 03-28-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
There is a difference between being sad (or unhappy) and being diagnosed with depression. You can try to negate that fact all you want - it’s still true. And yes, for you to assume holistic changes can help all people with (medically diagnosed) depression IS uneducated and irresponsible. The real issue is chemical imbalances of the brain do exist. And I support the OP (and the many people who suffer) in spreading awareness, not just depression but mental health as a whole.
What research have you done on chemical imbalances? I would say zero, because if you go to google right now and do a scholarly search on "depression and chemical imbalances" you will get a return of many articles that DEBUNK "chemical imbalance" theory. It is a joke you even think that you are educated, when you don't know this simple fact.

The idea of "chemical imbalance" is a meme that took off - first initiated by pharmaceutical marketing reps as they sold drugs to doctors. The doctors ran with that ball and now, years later, people are still spouting the idea, which was completely fabricated. There is "no such thing."

When you "support the OP" and others who are hellbent on staying in their victimhood, you are simply enabling. Ask yourself "why."

You put others down for being "ignorant and uneducated," yet you know nothing about neuroplasticity! And you scoff at holistic remedies (many of which are extremely helpful).

If people REALLY wanted to "get well," they would be clamoring for the holistic remedies!

I can't even imagine being in the frame of mind to turn your back on what works.

I wonder what your motive could possibly be for wanting to hide your head in the sand.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
What research have you done on chemical imbalances? I would say zero, because if you go to google right now and do a scholarly search on "depression and chemical imbalances" you will get a return of many articles that DEBUNK "chemical imbalance" theory. It is a joke you even think that you are educated, when you don't know this simple fact.

The idea of "chemical imbalance" is a meme that took off - first initiated by pharmaceutical marketing reps as they sold drugs to doctors. The doctors ran with that ball and now, years later, people are still spouting the idea, which was completely fabricated. There is "no such thing."

When you "support the OP" and others who are hellbent on staying in their victimhood, you are simply enabling. Ask yourself "why."

You put others down for being "ignorant and uneducated," yet you know nothing about neuroplasticity! And you scoff at holistic remedies (many of which are extremely helpful).

If people REALLY wanted to "get well," they would be clamoring for the holistic remedies!

I can't even imagine being in the frame of mind to turn your back on what works.

I wonder what your motive could possibly be for wanting to hide your head in the sand.
Right - because we all know googling articles (and arguing over them) is the answer to everything.

I’m not stating I know everything about it - I’m fortunate in that I never had to. What I’m stating is - there should be awareness and education (especially for those who may be suffering in silence) that it’s alright to seek help. I didn’t put others down for being uneducated - I said YOU were in regard to your flippant attitude about depression. In addition, I never said you were ignorant, that is simply putting words in my mouth so it shouldn’t be in quotation as if I did. I said it was irresponsible on a forum in which there are many people who do experience depression. I stand by that statement. Major depression is an illness. Manic depression is an illness. Cancer is an illness.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 03-28-2019 at 02:16 PM..

Old 03-28-2019, 02:46 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
I think the reason many people struggle with understanding depression is because all of us, depressed and non-depressed, have had times in our lives where we felt sad or down and just blah and we had to make a conscious effort to get ourselves back on track. Everyone has done that, but not everyone has dealt with actual depression. So it's easy for someone to think to themselves, "oh, depression... huh, kind of like when I was so sad after that breakup and I had to will myself to get dressed, put a smile on my face, and go out with friends to feel better. People with depression should do what worked for me," not realizing that they were sad but not depressed.

It's a bit like someone having a cold and saying, "well, I just rested and ate chicken soup and got better, so there's no reason why you can't do that with your pneumonia. I didn't need antibiotics and neither do you."

Only the cold/pneumonia scenario sounds ridiculous to most people and the sadness/depression scenario sounds reasonable to many. :/

Old 03-28-2019, 02:49 PM

To those who say depression is not unhappiness - are you saying you can be happy and depressed?

Also: Define "sadness."

People want to feel so "special" to have a "serious medical diagnosis" (instead of noting that something is wrong, you don't feel good, and wondering how to fix it).

So much arguing FOR "depression."

Old 03-28-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I think the reason many people struggle with understanding depression is because all of us, depressed and non-depressed, have had times in our lives where we felt sad or down and just blah and we had to make a conscious effort to get ourselves back on track. Everyone has done that, but not everyone has dealt with actual depression. So it's easy for someone to think to themselves, "oh, depression... huh, kind of like when I was so sad after that breakup and I had to will myself to get dressed, put a smile on my face, and go out with friends to feel better. People with depression should do what worked for me," not realizing that they were sad but not depressed.

:/
Yeah - very good point! When I was younger, I didn’t really understand it, either - and, in fact, I’d probably be one of those guys talking about ‘positive attitude’ if it hadn’t been for a long-time friend who has suffered with depression on/off for some time - and she finally told me about it several years ago. (Good post - meant to copy it in its entirety). Many people are simply unaware.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 03-28-2019 at 03:25 PM..

Old 03-28-2019, 02:56 PM

378 posts, read 230,292 times
Quote:
Oh, so now "depression" means your brain is completely inoperable. Gotcha.

If that is true, depressed people should have 24/7 care, as they would be unable to do "activities of daily living."
Even you know that's bull. Please stop drawing idiotic conclusions.

What I mean is the depressed brain is under stimulated. It's not properly motivated to consistently carry out the tasks normally associated with healthy, functioning human beings. Sure a depressed person can get up & brush their teeth and go for a walk, but his or her brain won't find these activities rewarding enough to continue carrying out on a daily basis.

Now you can argue these depressed people need to just keep at it, build a routine, and the dopemanine will follow. I would agree except this sort of treatment it futile for someone with trouble producing their own dopemanine, serotonin, and other necessary chemicals.

This does not mean pills pills pills. From my experience they make you feel nothing just like depression (how ironic), so no thank you. I'll take shrooms, cannabis, and tea please.

Now I won't discredit pills. They do wonders for others. I'm just saying there's no one size fits all solution here. Some depressed folks might benefit from your "push yourself & by the bootstraps" advice while others not so much.

It's about finding what works for the individual. I hope I made my point clear now.

Old 03-28-2019, 03:03 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
Quote:
To those who say depression is not unhappiness - are you saying you can be happy and depressed?

Also: Define "sadness."

People want to feel so "special" to have a "serious medical diagnosis" (instead of noting that something is wrong, you don't feel good, and wondering how to fix it).

So much arguing FOR "depression."
It's like saying pneumonia is not a cold. It might have started off as a cold and you might still have the cold, but that's not your problem. The reason you can't breathe is because you have the lung infection called pneumonia. The sniffling and sneezing from your cold are annoying, but that isn't why you need the antibiotic.

Or maybe it's because people with pneumonia want to feel "special" and to have a "serious medical diagnosis" and they're just drug-seeking because they like taking antibiotics and want to stay in bed. Yeah, that's probably it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology