Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 06:19 AM

1,058 posts, read 676,849 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all.While out walking my dog, I recently walked on a porch and looked into a vacant home in our neighborhood because the blinds were open. I was just curious how it was coming along. Someone bought it, did some work on it and never moved in. As we continue to walk, my neighbors stops us and says-hey I wouldn't walk up on that porch that house is cursed! She said the guy that owned it committed suicide and the previous owner died of cancer. So of course she said she just knew I would freak out when she told me that evil spirit probably got me when I walked on the porch. (I felt no bad ju-ju) She and her husband just laughed because they knew it was freaking me out. I've been paranoid ever since! Why am I so gullible! I guess I need to stop watching all of that scifi stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 06:41 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
Stop believing everything people tell you.

The world is full of people that will take advantage of you...remember that when you next hear something that sounds ridiculous. If it sounds ridiculous then it most likely is....

Old 03-31-2019, 07:20 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Stop believing everything people tell you.

The world is full of people that will take advantage of you...remember that when you next hear something that sounds ridiculous. If it sounds ridiculous then it most likely is....
But to some people, NOTHING sounds ridiculous and that's the problem. If everything sounds credible to you because you either lack critical thinking skills or self-confidence then yes, you'll believe anything.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:53 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
I don't think that's being "gullible". I think that's being open to truths you can't see, and you're maybe being a little obsessive.

Kind of obsessive fear isn't gullibility.

"Gullible" is where you believe people who are trying to hoodwink you, and that leaves you very susceptible to being taken advantage of or stolen from.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:46 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
I question just about everything more than ever and frontrunners are medicine and politics.

People die everywhere.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:18 PM

801 posts, read 615,785 times
We have a house like that in our neighborhood... and maybe there's just bad energy in some places that wears you down and causes these things to come about. It could be environmental. Every several years, the wives in this house die from a sudden illness. A wife died of cancer at 35, the owner remarried and his new, 28 yo wife died from an aneurysm. He got engaged two years later and sold that house. (They live nearby still; she's fine and they have three children, plus his 2 from the first wife.) The new owner's wife was 37 years old and pregnant with twins. She was diagnosed with and died from brain cancer, end stage at discovery, when they weren't quite two.

He did all sorts of environmental testing (it's his business) and found nothing. His new fiancee is a beeyotch. She mocks his "shrine" to his late wife, which consists of a 4x6 picture of her holding the twins with their wedding rings on a tiny iron tree on the mantle. She is not nice to the children. He is not a great guy- just a stern, polite one... pretty sure he uses her for sex and for childcare so he can go on out-of-town jobs, and she uses him for a better life (serial wife.) They deserve each other. He has NOT moved. LOL - we all know the drill. So does she. She's joked that she's safe so long as they don't get married while they still live there. He just built an addition for a home office and isn't going anywhere.

It's a weird, old house... but all of ours are. Meh. It probably is something that just hasn't been detected yet.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:34 PM

859 posts, read 706,065 times
This is nonsense! The previous owner died of cancer; people die of cancer every day. The new buyer committed suicide before moving on; people (some people) committee suicide every day. You don't know them, what happened and their reasons. You didn't mention anything special about the home that deserves to think bad about it. Nothing unusual. For example, homes or lands that taken by force have no blessing. So, if you know that, NEVER buy it.
It sounds as if your neighbors or people around that area got pessimistic of these 2 events so that they tried to link them together then made a general judgment that the home must have been cursed.
No reason to be freaking out of what your neighbors said. Nothing bad will happen to you.

Don't be pessimistic, depend on the God.

Old 03-31-2019, 02:04 PM

21,944 posts, read 9,513,063 times
I am the opposite. I have a friend who buys into every diet fad, every supplement, every conspiracy theory...I buy into nothing.

Old 03-31-2019, 02:19 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
Hey y'all.While out walking my dog, I recently walked on a porch and looked into a vacant home in our neighborhood because the blinds were open. I was just curious how it was coming along. Someone bought it, did some work on it and never moved in. As we continue to walk, my neighbors stops us and says-hey I wouldn't walk up on that porch that house is cursed! She said the guy that owned it committed suicide and the previous owner died of cancer. So of course she said she just knew I would freak out when she told me that evil spirit probably got me when I walked on the porch. (I felt no bad ju-ju) She and her husband just laughed because they knew it was freaking me out. I've been paranoid ever since! Why am I so gullible! I guess I need to stop watching all of that scifi stuff!
Sweetie you are cursed all right. You are cursed with a hostile neighbor who like to talk nonsense.

From now on, ignore whatever this person says. Just keep moving and pay her no mind. People who say stuff like that are not worth your attention.

Old 03-31-2019, 02:24 PM

892 posts, read 484,852 times
the most you can do is check in with your own experience--whatever another person believes applies first and foremost to their own experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology