Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 02:40 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times

Advertisements

I am starting a new thread cause I did not want to be accused of trying to hijack the 1 that got me started on the subject. Being a woman & and an RN...I have been the subject of back-handed stabbing & ridicule that I didn't "aim high enough" in my college goals or "I'm looking for a husband". Or...that I am "too weak" or a "servant" cause I am "too feminine". In this day & age....people (& they are mostly other women) continue to look down on any "traditional job types" like nurses, elementary education teachers, librarians....

All of us can be independent....valuable....smart! I thought shaming women went out yrs. ago....but the really disturbing part is most of the shaming seems to come from other women. I always thought other women were our biggest advocates....turns out, not really, IMO..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 03:02 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,682,995 times
Sorry to hear about your experiences. Consider changing companies for a possibly better work environment. Or if you can and want to manage where you are currently, look for social groups outside of work. Don't do anything outside of work with your fellow coworkers like happy hours and such so that you can express implicitly that you deserve respect and need to spend your time outside of work with people and things that matter and support you as a person.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:05 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Who are these people who are shaming you? Colleagues? Family? Strangers? I work in a field similar to those that you listed as "traditional", and I've never gotten any response (to my face, at least) about my job as anything other that "oh, that sounds interesting!"

Old 04-18-2019, 03:08 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,423,206 times
That is really too bad. You should not have to take that. It's wonderful that you are an RN. It's an important job that requires education and experience, along with compassion and empathy.

Sure, you could have borrowed hundreds of thousands of dollars for medical school and spent your twenties getting 3 hours of sleep a night. And after all that, would your job be more important? I don't really think so.

And nurses can always continue their education if they want and become a PA or NP or whatever.

But aside from that, there is NOTHING WRONG with a woman having a traditional female career! For one thing, most women, and most men, are in jobs that are traditional for their sex. Who knows exactly why, but that is how it is. And it is NOT something anyone should have to apologize for.

It is feminism run wild, maybe, that causes people to criticize you. Don't listen. Be glad you found a good career that you like. Ignore them.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Who are these people who are shaming you? Colleagues? Family? Strangers? I work in a field similar to those that you listed as "traditional", and I've never gotten any response (to my face, at least) about my job as "oh, that must be cool!"
A lot of it has been on this forum...through threads & DM's....& also some female doctors & older women, mostly. But it is not just me personally. Like I was saying, it came up in a different thread....on views about masculinity & men keeping women down. But I think it's women's views that are often doing that....

I just started it on a different thread so I wouldn't be "hijacking" another one....

Old 04-18-2019, 03:14 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
OP, your location says, "new to the Bay Area". Is it in the Bay Area that you've encountered this, or in your prior location, or both? Where are you encountering these clods? My sister-in-law is a nurse in the Bay Area, and she doesn't get any flack at all.

That's great that you went into a healing profession. Not everyone's cut out to be in a boardroom, on university faculty, a lawyer, or whatever those people think you should be doing, instead of health care.

Ignore, and find a new crowd or environment to hang out in.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:15 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
A lot of it has been on this forum...through threads & DM's....& also some female doctors & older women, mostly. But it is not just me personally. Like I was saying, it came up in a different thread....on views about masculinity & men keeping women down. But I think it's women's views that are often doing that....

I just started it on a different thread so I wouldn't be "hijacking" another one....
OK, internet doesn't count. How do people treat you in real life? The internet tends to be notoriously combative. Sorry you've been through that.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Who are these people who are shaming you? Colleagues? Family? Strangers? I work in a field similar to those that you listed as "traditional", and I've never gotten any response (to my face, at least) about my job as anything other that "oh, that sounds interesting!"
I have had many older female doctors speak down to me....no problem at all with male doctors or side by side colleagues like other nurses of either gender. But we've all heard the "jokes" about women looking for a husband or...."why didn't you become a doctor instead of a nurse"....

Old 04-18-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
That is really too bad. You should not have to take that. It's wonderful that you are an RN. It's an important job that requires education and experience, along with compassion and empathy.

Sure, you could have borrowed hundreds of thousands of dollars for medical school and spent your twenties getting 3 hours of sleep a night. And after all that, would your job be more important? I don't really think so.

And nurses can always continue their education if they want and become a PA or NP or whatever.

But aside from that, there is NOTHING WRONG with a woman having a traditional female career! For one thing, most women, and most men, are in jobs that are traditional for their sex. Who knows exactly why, but that is how it is. And it is NOT something anyone should have to apologize for.

It is feminism run wild, maybe, that causes people to criticize you. Don't listen. Be glad you found a good career that you like. Ignore them.
Thank you...
But...it's not just me for the reason to start the thread...
I'd like to see women supporting women....not taking them down for different life decisions they make.
It is especially bad on the internet.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, internet doesn't count. How do people treat you in real life? The internet tends to be notoriously combative. Sorry you've been through that.
It's usually female doctors....in real life & thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology