Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 02:13 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times

Advertisements

Say Henry Rollins.

This myth of the seemingly inalienable right to dominance and control perpetrated by men, especially by white males, has myriad catastrophic downsides.
These standards — and postures many American males contort themselves to — are not without consequence. Beyond misplaced anger, feelings of inadequacy and hopelessness, the men who hold their emotions in check — like a stress position used to induce confession — sometimes break. White American males — mostly middle-age — accounted for 70% of suicides in 2017.

https://www.latimes.com/books/la-ca-...620-story.html

Has a child I was told as I grew up not to cry or show to much emotion as people/ women as a whole whole would see me as weak. My wife is having a lot of health issues and I don’t let her see how much it weighs on me. Even though she has said that it’s good for a man to show such things, I know by doing so it would make things worse on her. I know that I’m not the only man going though rough patches where showing emotions are some what taboo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 03:01 PM

720 posts, read 429,193 times
sharing your vulnerability lets you remain strong and create a stronger bond with your partner. I'm guessing you're not weak all the time. noone is. I' sure your wife would understand if you communicate kindly and honestly. it may even make her feel that she wants to be stronger for you. sometimes our desire to get better for others is bigger than our desire to get better for ourselves.
I wish you the best

Old 06-24-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohangr View Post
sharing your vulnerability lets you remain strong and create a stronger bond with your partner. I'm guessing you're not weak all the time. noone is. I' sure your wife would understand if you communicate kindly and honestly. it may even make her feel that she wants to be stronger for you. sometimes our desire to get better for others is bigger than our desire to get better for ourselves.
I wish you the best
My apologies I wasn’t trying to make this about me as I was pointing out my situation to use as an example.
My wife’s bipolar and has anxieties so no.I don’t dare show weakness of any short,or to much emotion.

Last edited by reed067; 06-24-2019 at 04:08 PM..

Old 06-24-2019, 03:55 PM

15,850 posts, read 6,551,421 times
There are many ways to be a man.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:59 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,969,781 times
Men do this to one another. I don’t know one woman who thinks that a man’s showing emotion or vulnerability
makes them “weak”. And I believe that it’s men who keep perpetuating this myth. SMH!

Old 06-24-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Men do this to one another. I don’t know one woman who thinks that a man’s showing emotion or vulnerability
makes them “weak”. And I believe that it’s men who keep perpetuating this myth. SMH!
Why would any man do that? It doesn’t make sense the stress alone is enough to kill you.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Why would any man do that? It doesn’t make sense the stress alone is enough to kill you.
Machismo?.. You tell me. I’ve witnessed this many times. Guys calling out other guys. Calling them p****** or telling them to “man up”.

Last edited by Sydney123; 06-24-2019 at 04:41 PM..

Old 06-24-2019, 05:51 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,164,301 times
Just waiting for this thread to turn anti male quickly....Fact of the matter is that most men are happy being men without changing any of our ways (regardless if they are good habits or bad habits).

I think what annoys us the most is the constant examination under the microscope and the free advice from females designed to bring out the new and improved version of men. Just let us be.....bad toxins and all

Old 06-24-2019, 06:06 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,388,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Just waiting for this thread to turn anti male quickly....Fact of the matter is that most men are happy being men without changing any of our ways (regardless if they are good habits or bad habits).

I think what annoys us the most is the constant examination under the microscope and the free advice from females designed to bring out the new and improved version of men. Just let us be.....bad toxins and all
Agreed.

Every white knight thinks he's the new modern version of a man and takes any and all free female advice. Such sweet guys every woman wants to be great friends with!

Who wants to be that guy? Not me.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:15 PM

Default Men shaming... other men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Agreed.

Every white knight thinks he's the new modern version of a man and takes any and all free female advice. Such sweet guys every woman wants to be great friends with!

Who wants to be that guy? Not me.
Thank you for proving my point! Don’t want to be “that guy” ... like it’s not “manly” or something. Like he’s less because he listens or he’s not squirting testosterone all over everything. Some of you men could have this whole conversation and leave us women completely out of it.

Last edited by Sydney123; 06-24-2019 at 07:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology