Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 03:49 PM

50,805 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I understand what you're saying, but is it on the basis that the mentally ill can't control themselves or their emotions? Do you think that being able to do so means you're not mentally ill?
No I don’t think that’s a defining feature of mental illness. John Hinkley, who shot Reagan and was found not guilty by reason of insanity, was obviously out of touch with reality enough that he thought Jodie Foster would appreciate him killing Reagan, but he wasn’t out of control when he did it. If you can meticulously plan something, then your emotions are not really out of control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 04:18 PM

9,865 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Quote:
Do you think they would be more susceptible to indoctrination?
Absolutely! I've heard of online groups that are anti-women, that blame them for men not getting jobs or dates, suggesting violence. These types of groups give the "failure to launch" types a reason why they haven't moved forward and stir up hate.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:53 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
No I don’t think that’s a defining feature of mental illness. John Hinkley, who shot Reagan and was found not guilty by reason of insanity, was obviously out of touch with reality enough that he thought Jodie Foster would appreciate him killing Reagan, but he wasn’t out of control when he did it. If you can meticulously plan something, then your emotions are not really out of control.
That's where I'm doubting, the idea that planning doesn't mean it's emotionally out of control. bin Laden planned everything, but what he did was horrific. It was out of control. And it was his belief in a higher power that drove him there (along with the anger over the US invasion, of course).

Old 08-13-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
That's where I'm doubting, the idea that planning doesn't mean it's emotionally out of control. bin Laden planned everything, but what he did was horrific. It was out of control. And it was his belief in a higher power that drove him there (along with the anger over the US invasion, of course).
But he wasn’t mentally Ill.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:59 AM

720 posts, read 429,008 times
Quote:
But he wasn’t mentally Ill.
but how do we know?

Old 08-13-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohangr View Post
but how do we know?
What reason is there to think he was? This is what they learn those extremist sects, he was one of millions who believe they need to kill their enemies. He was simply their leader for this particular band of attackers and the Taliban. Except for scale, what is the difference between bin Laden and any gang leader who kills his enemy?

These arguments you’re making where you want to attribute every atrocity to mental illness without any evidence whatsoever are part of the problem when it comes to mental illness being stigmatized.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:31 AM

Quote:
What reason is there to think he was? This is what they learn those extremist sects, he was one of millions who believe they need to kill their enemies. He was simply their leader for this particular band of attackers and the Taliban. Except for scale, what is the difference between bin Laden and any gang leader who kills his enemy?

These arguments you’re making where you want to attribute every atrocity to mental illness without any evidence whatsoever are part of the problem when it comes to mental illness being stigmatized.
What reason is there to think that anyone is mentally ill?
To me a person that thinks it is ok to kill anyone without being threatened has issues. Whatever they may be, somewhere in their head and somewhere in their lives, the truth about being a human and how much a life is worth was twisted. It is my personal opinion, not backed up by any evidence other than my own logic.

I am not trying to attribute anything to anyone. Mental illness is a reality and I've seen what it can do to people. Talking about something isn't stigmatizing it. I never said being mentally ill is bad.

I am merely suggesting that psychology is a pretty new science and there are things that we may come to learn about it - having an open mind and making conversation is a good thing. I thought this was a forum.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:08 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
No I don't think it does at all. Most of Germany was okay with the holocaust, were they all mentally ill? No. They were just full of hatred toward Jews after being convinced by people in power that their lives were in peril because of Jews, it was them or the Jews. Now the El Paso guy believed that too, except he believed his life (or lifestyle) was in peril because of migrants from Mexico.

Again, I think the Dayton guy was mentally ill, not El Paso.

This seems like a good place to jump in.

One of my talents is the ability to step back from an analysis and ask my mind, "Okay, am I seeing this wrong? Clear the board for a moment and give me a different analysis, let me see the issue another way.".

Is this ability, this level of mental training, where I can ask the mind to give me answers......a mental illness? After all, it does sound like, doesn't it, that I am hearing voices.

What the world sees as madness may just be crystal clarity of thought that the world just doesn't understand......or is that phrase "misunderstood"?

Old 08-15-2019, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
This seems like a good place to jump in.

One of my talents is the ability to step back from an analysis and ask my mind, "Okay, am I seeing this wrong? Clear the board for a moment and give me a different analysis, let me see the issue another way.".

Is this ability, this level of mental training, where I can ask the mind to give me answers......a mental illness? After all, it does sound like, doesn't it, that I am hearing voices.

What the world sees as madness may just be crystal clarity of thought that the world just doesn't understand......or is that phrase "misunderstood"?
Haha it sounded like you were defending Hitler for a moment xD

Sometimes it's difficult to get people to understand new ideas. Not everyone is analyzing and playing with ideas as much as you. Not everyone can play devil's advocate.

There have been times where I had to explain to people, that saying that I believe that a person commiting a murder is mentally ill, doesn't mean I justify the action. It doesn't mean that I congratulate it. It just means what I say and nothing more.

People are very hung up on morality, and I get it. It's normal. It's a way to "protect" ourselves.
But to me morality is a big misunderstanding and a big risk, due to our limited and slow process of acquiring knowledge.
If morality is subjective you don't need a reason to go to war. You don't need a reason to steal, kill, rape.
Anything and anyone can be deemed immoral and judged.
But that, is escaping the point.

The point is to find solutions and make our lives better. To have a safer, healthier future.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:32 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
Quote:
It's really not just about killing their enemies, but why. That's where indoctrination comes in. With cults, the reasons are not necessarily reality. Wouldn't that qualify as a mental illness?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology