Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2021, 10:14 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,425,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
Wisdom is an attainment of knowledge over time through experiences. If you're expecting a 20 year old with a brain that isn't fully developed to think in the same manner as a 65 year old retired person, then you're always going to be disappointed with those outcomes. You can be intelligent and lack certain wisdom simply because you haven't been around long enough to know any better.
Just a comment on the idea that wisdom can't be taught. I agree. It is achieved by a combination of coinciding factors - ability to observe and interpret information, ability to sort information in a meaningful manner and flexibility of thought and values.

There is one thing that can be taught that will open the doorway for access to those coinciding factors and that is critical thinking. From what I hear today there is little critical thinking being taught in many of our collegial disciplines.

I noticed the change begin in the Midwest around the 1980s when in the arts it began to be more important to parrot the instructors' opinion of the facts than to debate the worth of the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2021, 10:49 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,116,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

There is one thing that can be taught that will open the doorway for access to those coinciding factors and that is critical thinking. From what I hear today there is little critical thinking being taught in many of our collegial disciplines.

I noticed the change begin in the Midwest around the 1980s when in the arts it began to be more important to parrot the instructors' opinion of the facts than to debate the worth of the facts.
I completely disagree with that assessment. That's the narrative being driven home by radical right wingers who view universities as "indoctrination camps". I graduated college in the last 15 years, and my experience was not that at all. Of course, when you're surrounded by young, progressive thinking people, it might feel like you're an outcast if you have conservative views. But I spent plenty of time in various conservative groups on campus, and never had issues with other students or professors. It's not to say there weren't some radical ones out there--that's everywhere. But the general vibe was that we all fit in and we could all share our viewpoints equally without severe criticism or alienation. One of my friends had a pretty high profile on campus; professors knew him well and he was well-respected. He was in various leadership positions in the campus' conservative student groups. After he left college, he actually came out as gay. But he's still a conservative.

Conservative/liberal or otherwise, if you're expecting not to have your views challenged on campus, then you're in the wrong place. Being challenged and then having to think about why you believe something and then explain that to others, THAT is developing critical thinking skills. A lot of people view that when their views are challenged, that it's castigation; they're just plain wrong. Those people need a safe space, not a college campus.

Old 10-29-2021, 11:04 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

I have what's considered to be a "useless" liberal arts degree (MA in History, thank you very much) and I have to say that the research and the writing that I had to do learn for both degrees has been invaluable in being able to document the provenance of ideas and claims and to not get bogged down in misinformation. So many people are not asking, "who said this? where did it come from? is it verifiable or reproducible?" that any idea that anyone wants to believe is as valid as fact.

Old 10-29-2021, 01:56 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,102,524 times
It’s not just people with low education. There are plenty of college educated people who fall into trap as well.

I think a lot of it is a tribal thing tbh.

People now are so about their political “team†and hate the other side with such passion that anything the other side disagrees with is against or will make them look bad they’ll believe no matter how crazy it sounds.

Old 10-29-2021, 02:03 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
I completely disagree with that assessment. That's the narrative being driven home by radical right wingers who view universities as "indoctrination camps". I graduated college in the last 15 years, and my experience was not that at all. Of course, when you're surrounded by young, progressive thinking people, it might feel like you're an outcast if you have conservative views. But I spent plenty of time in various conservative groups on campus, and never had issues with other students or professors. It's not to say there weren't some radical ones out there--that's everywhere. But the general vibe was that we all fit in and we could all share our viewpoints equally without severe criticism or alienation. One of my friends had a pretty high profile on campus; professors knew him well and he was well-respected. He was in various leadership positions in the campus' conservative student groups. After he left college, he actually came out as gay. But he's still a conservative.

Conservative/liberal or otherwise, if you're expecting not to have your views challenged on campus, then you're in the wrong place. Being challenged and then having to think about why you believe something and then explain that to others, THAT is developing critical thinking skills. A lot of people view that when their views are challenged, that it's castigation; they're just plain wrong. Those people need a safe space, not a college campus.
Seems you prove a point. We have "safe spaces" on campus now. They are there to protect hurt feelings, not exactly appropriate for the critical thinking crowd, I'd say. But I doubt those licking their wounds in our ivy halls are conservative.

Have you ever tried to give constructive feedback to a young professional? They just aren't use to having their ideas challenged no matter their political bent. Their generations were educated by the "everybody does a good job or is unable to do a good job and deserves praise anyway" crowd. Most of them wouldn't have survived the colleges I graduated from.

Listen to them when you answer their questions. "Perfect!" they answer nearly in unison. Have to laugh when asked my birthdate in the doctor's office when I nearly always get this response. Parroting what they should say. So ingrained if you point out to them that of course giving your birthday correctly should be perfect the response I often get is, "Gee, hadn't thought of/noticed that." That's the verbal communication of a college graduate. I cringe.

This defensiveness is observably universal in this country and is not a partisan issue. It's a generational issue. The generations which are being softened.

Finally - " That's the narrative being driven home by radical right wingers who view universities as "indoctrination camps"

And please, don't ever make that blanket assumption/condemnation about anyone without further investigation. Ask some questions if only in an attempt to maintain fair-mindedness and civil discourse.

Old 10-29-2021, 03:56 PM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Yes. A false sense of politeness is killing our ability to discuss deep issues. We have to keep everything shallow.
I agree. I like to discuss deep topics and even debate and few want to do that any more.
You bring up current events and they say "I don't want to talk about that".
Instead it's about the price of gas or the latest sale at the supermarket.

It's at times like this that I miss my job (software engineer) because we would discuss/debate so much stuff while working in the labs...current events, politics, economics, religion, etc.

Old 10-29-2021, 05:46 PM

362 posts, read 143,876 times
I agree, OP. The slacker crowd has a voice these days and that's why society has become what it is. It's weird how everything that is right is now considered wrong.

Old 10-31-2021, 06:52 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
This is America. War on intellectualism has been around since I was in school back in the 1900s. It was well known that nerds get bullied.
Intellectualism and Intelligence are completely different colors!

Old 10-31-2021, 09:57 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Intellectualism and Intelligence are completely different colors!
That's true. I didn't catch that. Thanks.

Old 11-05-2021, 12:30 PM

1,092 posts, read 580,583 times
It doesn't help that there are major media outlets who present some of these crazy ideas as absolute fact. These are seen by tens of millions of viewers who take it all on complete faith. After all, it's on the news so it must be true, right? It never seems to occur to anyone how illogical it is that a mere 5% of news outlets somehow are the only ones with the correct information.

The people that OP describes are also the ones who continue to insist that they "did the research." These types have completely redefined what "research" actually is. To me, research means "I don't know enough to make an informed decision so I will take the time to find out what I need to know." To some others, research means "I already know the correct answer, now I will dig for supporting evidence, even if that involves overlooking mountains of contradicting evidence in the process. Then I can PROVE to the others how right I was."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology