Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 07:51 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Yep. I learned this as a young kiddo.....I don't even remember what lie I'd told but it got me in trouble with some little friends. My father told me that when you always tell the truth, you never have to remember what you told someone or keep your story straight. A life lesson I've kept with me through the decades. It's true.
It is! The old saw, "honesty is the best policy", is one of the best life lessons a parent can teach.

Even during my working years, if I screwed up at work, I found it was best to just say, "yeah, it was my mistake, I'll make it right" rather than try to cover up or invent a story about what went wrong.

Old 06-02-2022, 07:55 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
I was scrolling through fb yesterday. Not in the mood to do my traveling down my timeline "like like like like like hugs like care like love, etc" and came across a tik tok video a friend posted.

First of all this is a work friend and we all know what this person looks like. But she is into this posting of filtered close up selfies the last year or so all glammed up in different outfits and poses.

So this time it was a vid of her in her car with her face so heavily filtered she was blurry and distorted. Other than the name of the person and her typical hairstyle you would not know it was her.

Anyhow, she had some old classic rock song on and was staring at the camera close up and then tilting her head back and forth for about a minute. It was soooo strange, I had to watch it several times thinking "are you really doing this? Is this for real?"

And of course the comments "You are beautiful!" "So sensational" "Beautiful Rock Star." Just comment after comment with loves and hearts. You know they had to be thinking the same thing I was but we all lie and tell them what they want to hear. I didn't have the energy to lie yesterday so I showed it to my husb, shut down fb and went on with life.

It reminded me to stay scarce with any fb pics of myself. Eeegads that was a strange one. I can still see the mysterious filtered head tilting and the song ringing through my head.
I post photos of birds and flowers and other wildlife/nature on FB. I am pretty sure people would rather look at the nest of baby robins I put up yesterday than my 63-year-old head bopping to a song.

Old 06-02-2022, 03:23 PM

8,667 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
Exactly. Tune out the noise. Life is too short for making heads or tails of other people’s stuff. The digital world is full of fake stuff nowadays…from Facebook to tik toc to dating apps. Sometimes it feels like people 60+ years old are the last of the normal people who were raised and lived adulthood outside the digital world.
I’m in my forties; naturally, I’m not anti-social media/tech (nor do I live my life outside the digital world). I consider the use of such ‘normal’ in and of itself relative to business, family, friends, dating and so on. Point being, it’s about connection to people we know (or want to know) - not an obligation to follow/care about strangers (or entitlement to others’ lives). It isn’t psychologically healthy to engage/follow those you believe to be fake or don’t know in-person i.e. for what logical purpose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2022, 03:46 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Many people share their personal stories on social media. How do you relate to these stories? i know many posters think they “know” these posters by their stories. I think that is only natural. I do as well. But then their stories break down a bit here and there. you begin to wonder if they are making stuff up about themselves, posing to be someone they are not.
How do you react? Do you continue to believe they are who they say they are and believe their sad stories and interact with them the same way?
Why would someone pose as someone else, make up a life story?
The only place I read suspect stories about strangers is here on CD, and I don't relate or interact. All my FB peeps are personal friends or family.

Old 06-02-2022, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
The only place I read suspect stories about strangers is here on CD, and I don't relate or interact.
I don’t consider CD ‘social media’ per se; it’s simply a forum to express opinion (relative to various topics, not people) - although many act entitled to (and discuss/ask/announce) personal information when, in fact, CD’s guidelines specifically state against doing so.

Old 06-02-2022, 04:26 PM

15,966 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I don’t consider CD ‘social media’ per se; it’s simply a forum to express opinion (relative to various topics, not people) - although many act entitled to (and discuss/ask/announce) personal information when, in fact, CD’s guidelines specifically state against doing so.
CD guidelines state no sharing of personal information? I didnt know that. I think no personal commercials or business announcements, but no sad stories? Really?
I have been told several times in one forum on CD that i post way more than i really should, by the moderator no less, that i have been there long enough and should know better about person A or person B is such and such and has suffered this or that. Frankly i only address posts at face value I dont see the person behind it or remember all their stories. Some I remember because they bring it up often.

Old 06-02-2022, 05:32 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
Quote:
Frankly i only address posts at face value I dont see the person behind it or remember all their stories.
A lot of people develop a dislike for a certain screen name, and they will read that person's contributions in a certain voice regardless of what's actually said.

Old 06-02-2022, 05:38 PM

11,067 posts, read 6,887,781 times
That's pretty sad. There are many times on here where I've been impressed by something or things that someone has written when in the past I got a negative impression from something they wrote. I think that teaches me (and others) we can look beyond personalities and listen to the message.

Old 06-02-2022, 05:59 PM

Quote:
CD guidelines state no sharing of personal information?
This is not what I stated; you’ll need to read my post again relative to entitlement (or demanding/announcing) of others’ personal information (even if inaccurate) - not simply sharing of such.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:42 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Of course it is a forum, however personal stories are shared many many times a day here. Many posters discuss them over and over, for days on end. TONS of very personal tales. That is what your OP referenced.

All sorts of things (nonsense, spam, myths, TONS of misinformation) gets posted here on CD. Just like any other social media site, along with opinions. It definitely is a social media site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology