Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 10:41 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,320,129 times

Advertisements

Is Eharmony a bad dating site, too? Supposedly, they're more picky about who can join. I never tried it, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2022, 12:50 AM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
You’re married, so why do you care about who your friend is or isn’t attracted to? Why do you care who is or isn’t appealing to yourself outside of your spouse? I think if you just keep focus the one you have, all these things become irrelevant.

This.

Old 06-30-2022, 06:40 AM

19,610 posts, read 12,210,591 times
Before you had to sign up for those sites to browse I used to look at them all the time. Not just men, I found the profiles interesting. But I did notice the men were not appealing and was grateful I wasn't single and looking. We all know we can become single again but if I was I would not do OLD, if I met someone organically fine, if not that is ok too.

Old 06-30-2022, 07:58 AM

11,104 posts, read 9,746,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Is Eharmony a bad dating site, too? Supposedly, they're more picky about who can join. I never tried it, though.
E-harmony works differently. They have you fill out a lengthy questionnaire, and then find matches for you based upon your answers and their answers. They have some computer algorithm that matches people. Then they will introduce you online, and after some online correspondence, they will put you in contact with one another. It's sort of the opposite of Tinder, where one goes by appearance alone, this goes by your answers to questions. I looked into it once while single, and found that they seem to prefer you to have some degree of religiosity. I truthfully answered their religion question, saying that I was atheist, and I got back a form letter that they would be unable to match me with anyone, although they didn't say why. So, with the thousands of men on their site, they couldn't possibly find even one with whom I might be a match?? Too funny.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:30 AM

17,353 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Disclosure: I'm married. I've never been on a dating website. Back when I was dating years ago, I would actually meet guys in person and they would ask me out. It was pretty obvious whether there was any chemistry between us before the date even happened - we knew each other.

To me, the idea of picking someone out based on a picture and a written profile seems....I dunno...really forced and unnatural to me. Could that be part of the issue for you?

Old 06-30-2022, 10:28 AM

20,366 posts, read 14,640,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
First time your normal is my normal also . I agree to all of the above.

If I am taken and happy, I still look at other men. I will always look at other men. But I have no desire to act on it.
And male strippers, haha. I don't know - I find them funny, not sexy. I just saw a video my niece took in Vegas where the Chippendales stripper was grinding a motorcycle. I thought I die, I was laughing tears.
Yeah I mean, I look at other men and women and might recognize that they look good but they don't grab a special amount of my attention unless I'm in *looking* mode and unless they actually catch my interest by...being interesting? A pretty face or body to interact with isn't gonna do it for me. Why am I thinking of Rocky from Rocky Horror Picture Show right now? That, that's a great illustration of what would actually turn me way, way off. Tim Curry on the other hand? I've got a thing for Tim Curry, always have. The actor who plays Rocky probably has an actual functioning brain in real life, but he'd have to prove it to me before I'd even start to wonder if I found him appealing. Even if he still looked like he did in the movie with all the abs and whatever going on. But it's like, see, Tim Curry is interesting, so I've paid attention to his career and I know what other stuff he's done... The guy who played Rocky? I don't know his name. Can't name a single other thing he has ever done and do not care.

If they aren't interesting, then they aren't attractive.

And that held true for how I used dating sites when I was briefly on one in 2015. A well written and interesting profile would get my attention more than a photo. Back then, it was before OKC required people to actually put up photos of themselves and I was in fact corresponding with a guy who had just some artsy starburst mandala thing as his picture...he said he was a high school teacher and didn't want to risk being recognized on there. I was willing to meet with him but it never worked out. /shrug

God, the strippers. Like I was there for a friend's surprise birthday party and I knew they had hired a stripper. I had a word with the guy before he got started and told him I just wasn't really comfortable interacting with him but I had brought cash and was giving it to the b-day gal to have fun with. He was totally cool about it. So I stood away from the group and watched from a distance. There was a lot of um....flopping. Banana hammock flopping action. Is that supposed to be sexy? I did not find it sexy. I can't even remember if he was a fake cop or a fake firefighter... But never let it be said that I'm a cheapskate who doesn't tip performers and wait staff and such. lol

Old 06-30-2022, 10:45 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,955,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
God, the strippers. Like I was there for a friend's surprise birthday party and I knew they had hired a stripper. I had a word with the guy before he got started and told him I just wasn't really comfortable interacting with him but I had brought cash and was giving it to the b-day gal to have fun with. He was totally cool about it. So I stood away from the group and watched from a distance. There was a lot of um....flopping. Banana hammock flopping action. Is that supposed to be sexy? I did not find it sexy. I can't even remember if he was a fake cop or a fake firefighter... But never let it be said that I'm a cheapskate who doesn't tip performers and wait staff and such. lol
I prefer female strippers over male strippers. We are going to Vegas this weekend, my bf has only been there once, so I will show him what Vegas has to offer - and he doesn't know it yet - but we will go to a strip club with girls dancing. I am usually also a cheapskate but I will try to be a good gf and he can have some lap dances .

Old 06-30-2022, 10:55 AM

1,126 posts, read 607,749 times
Let's be honest, the typical male on a dating site tends to be there as a last resort. I'm sure some of them are great, but I'm betting a lot of them are "bottom of the barrel". I don't mean this as an insult, but just can't see the typical attractive (either physical or intellectual) guy doing a dating site VS getting dates socializing.

I guess it depends on the dating site - typical garbage fires like Tinder or POF gives me thoughts of hook ups from thirsty desperate and possibly dangerous men.

BTW I think it's funny how the OP says "If she doesn’t like them she still lets them “suck her boobs” I just look at some of these men and wouldn’t want to even meet them"

Your friend is on the dating apps for sex. She is looking to have fun, so maybe she doesn't mind going through the gaggle of beasts to find that "one" hottie?

Old 06-30-2022, 06:05 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
First time your normal is my normal also . I agree to all of the above.

If I am taken and happy, I still look at other men. I will always look at other men. But I have no desire to act on it.
And male strippers, haha. I don't know - I find them funny, not sexy. I just saw a video my niece took in Vegas where the Chippendales stripper was grinding a motorcycle. I thought I die, I was laughing tears.
Years ago there was a male dancer night at a place near me. My friend had this proper cousin and her friend visiting from England, so we took them. Same thing, it was hilarious, especially because a couple of the dancers picked up on their shock and horror at these half naked guys dancing all around us and they were giving them a lot of extra attention. And my friend and I were just doubled over laughing.

Grinding a motorcycle, I would laugh, too.

Old 06-30-2022, 06:26 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
E-harmony works differently. They have you fill out a lengthy questionnaire, and then find matches for you based upon your answers and their answers. They have some computer algorithm that matches people. Then they will introduce you online, and after some online correspondence, they will put you in contact with one another. It's sort of the opposite of Tinder, where one goes by appearance alone, this goes by your answers to questions. I looked into it once while single, and found that they seem to prefer you to have some degree of religiosity. I truthfully answered their religion question, saying that I was atheist, and I got back a form letter that they would be unable to match me with anyone, although they didn't say why. So, with the thousands of men on their site, they couldn't possibly find even one with whom I might be a match?? Too funny.
Well, the owner of the site is a Christian theologian, and was partnered with James Dobson, a very conservative Christian who has a famous radio program called Focus on the Family. He split with Dobson, and after that allowed same-sex matches on eHarmony, which they didn't have before. My niece also said she was an atheist and got a similar rejection.

In my case, they took my money, sent me zero matches, then after six months asked me to reup when the time ran out. I said no, you did nothing for me. They wrote back that they reviewed my profile and the problem was that I am too tall for all but 3% of men to want to date. Then they asked if I wanted to change my profile. What, lie and say I am shorter? Then they hastily sent me some weirdo they probably couldn't unload on anyone else a few days before the six months ended, and I just let it go.

A friend of mine married a guy she met on eHarmony. They are divorced now.

As far as the OP, I am not sure why it would occur to her to wonder if something is wrong with her because she doesn't find those men appealing. What is the connection?

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-30-2022 at 06:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology