Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2022, 08:09 PM

15,979 posts, read 7,039,821 times

Advertisements

I find it painful. Not just because they are about painful things, but even great memories of joyful summer vacations, my kids as children, our early days of marriage, my college and school days, everything only causes pain. Thinking of my son as a little boy, watching him hit a home run, it is almost a physical pain. My daughter so little and cute, so innocent, it hurts. I guess because those times are never coming back, they are grown and away, they live lives away from us. I know this sounds stupid. My husband can revel in memories endlessly and finds it strange i find nostalgia painful. I dont treasure memorabilia as most people do. I just want live in the present as it is.
Does anyone else feel this way or am i just truly weird?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2022, 09:53 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,535,359 times
Sometimes I feel this way and I understand why you do, but when I start feeling like this I try to simplify things. I realize we are all just here for a limited amount of time, we cannot go back in time so there's no use in dwelling on past memories if they're painful. Not sure if painful is the right word but for me depressed is more accurate. I know those happy times will never be exactly the same, the missed opportunities and regrets, and the realization that life will eventually end and maybe it's my fear of the unknown when it does end. Maybe your reason for feeling this way is the same as mine or maybe not but I don't think it's that unusual. People are emotional and complex.

Old 10-07-2022, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Sometimes I feel this way and I understand why you do, but when I start feeling like this I try to simplify things. I realize we are all just here for a limited amount of time, we cannot go back in time so there's no use in dwelling on past memories if they're painful. Not sure if painful is the right word but for me depressed is more accurate. I know those happy times will never be exactly the same, the missed opportunities and regrets, and the realization that life will eventually end and maybe it's my fear of the unknown when it does end. Maybe your reason for feeling this way is the same as mine or maybe not but I don't think it's that unusual. People are emotional and complex.
Great response and you have clarified what I feel exactly right. The pain of missed opportunities is definitely part of the pain I feel. Being busy with what seems meaningless now, instead of paying attention to what was important then and is still now, and that I could have brought more joy into all of our lives. One reason why viewing old photographs bring pleasure but always mixed with some pain.

Yes what is past is gone forever and the present is all we got and future is uncertain. That does not necessarily diminish the fear of the future, but makes me grateful for what has been achieved in spite of it all.

Old 10-07-2022, 12:58 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Great response and you have clarified what I feel exactly right. The pain of missed opportunities is definitely part of the pain I feel. Being busy with what seems meaningless now, instead of paying attention to what was important then and is still now, and that I could have brought more joy into all of our lives. One reason why viewing old photographs bring pleasure but always mixed with some pain.

Yes what is past is gone forever and the present is all we got and future is uncertain. That does not necessarily diminish the fear of the future, but makes me grateful for what has been achieved in spite of it all.
You know what the people who have had NDE's say, don't you? The big message from The Beyond is: "Don't sweat the small stuff", and "It's ALL small stuff!". I know that's hard to see from an earthly perspective. But you did the best you could with the info you had to work with at the time, and with the amount of effort you were able to muster at the time. People go through phases of being overwhelmed or having tunnel vision due to other things going on in their lives. Everyone's just trying to muddle through this thing called Life the best they can.

Old 10-07-2022, 01:24 PM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
Phases. Yes, I wonder about that. When I was a young mother I had the wedding pictures of a paternal and a maternal set of grandparents on my living room wall. They were in their turn-of-the-last-century frames and quite elegant.

I think for me they symbolized a source of strength that that generation carried. Maybe they made me feel supported.

There came a time later when I was sitting there alone one night and thought, That's it. Not one more minute of those stern old folks gazing down on me every day. I took them down right then and there and later replaced them with framed woodcuts and paintings made by my kids.

(They really didn't marry at an old age, it's just that I always saw them through a child's eyes.)

Now my kids have been gone a long time and I have sent all those things home with them little by little over the years. In their places are projects I have made and pictures of us on various vacations. Guess they're an affirmation of "Our Turn."

All my parent's photo albums are here and fifty-some years of our own life and family albums. I sample them in small doses promising some day when I'm Really Old and less mobile I will take time for a more thorough viewing.

But spending too much time looking through them is an emotional rollercoaster. The ups and downs of a lifetime. It takes some energy.

Old 10-07-2022, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You know what the people who have had NDE's say, don't you? The big message from The Beyond is: "Don't sweat the small stuff", and "It's ALL small stuff!". I know that's hard to see from an earthly perspective. But you did the best you could with the info you had to work with at the time, and with the amount of effort you were able to muster at the time. People go through phases of being overwhelmed or having tunnel vision due to other things going on in their lives. Everyone's just trying to muddle through this thing called Life the best they can.
Also this: we are seeing with our mature eyes the young and inexperienced person that we were, blundering, and a bit lost, and so full of enotions. We are a bit lost now too but in a different way.

Old 10-07-2022, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

But spending too much time looking through them is an emotional rollercoaster. The ups and downs of a lifetime. It takes some energy.
It takes some energy, yes.
Exactly

Old 10-12-2022, 10:59 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,477,856 times
My kids are not yet grown but my wife and I do reminisce already about when they were younger. My wife kind of gets feelings like you describe, as if it's almost tragic that those times are over. I tend to see it that those are great memories and I loved them when they were little but I love the people they are growing up to be just as much. I also try to hold on to how they are now while looking forward to how they will continue to grow. Those younger years are precious but the whole person is a story of growth and experiences. Try to focus on your love for the whole person instead of just the child who was. And remember, as long as you're still breathing you've still got your own experiences left to discover, with yourself and with your grown children.

Old 10-13-2022, 11:36 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
My kids are not yet grown but my wife and I do reminisce already about when they were younger. My wife kind of gets feelings like you describe, as if it's almost tragic that those times are over. I tend to see it that those are great memories and I loved them when they were little but I love the people they are growing up to be just as much. I also try to hold on to how they are now while looking forward to how they will continue to grow. Those younger years are precious but the whole person is a story of growth and experiences. Try to focus on your love for the whole person instead of just the child who was. And remember, as long as you're still breathing you've still got your own experiences left to discover, with yourself and with your grown children.
Very well said! Every growth stage is a process of unfolding of the eventual adult personality. Every state has its fascinating and potentially delightful aspects. Some people get so nostalgic for the past, that they miss the precious moments of the present.

Old 10-13-2022, 06:31 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I find it painful. Not just because they are about painful things, but even great memories of joyful summer vacations, my kids as children, our early days of marriage, my college and school days, everything only causes pain. Thinking of my son as a little boy, watching him hit a home run, it is almost a physical pain. My daughter so little and cute, so innocent, it hurts. I guess because those times are never coming back, they are grown and away, they live lives away from us. I know this sounds stupid. My husband can revel in memories endlessly and finds it strange i find nostalgia painful. I dont treasure memorabilia as most people do. I just want live in the present as it is.
Does anyone else feel this way or am i just truly weird?
You're just one of those glass half empty type of people!

I'm sure you're not that unusual. But when I think back of pleasant times, it makes me smile. That I did have those experiences. When I think of times I was sad or unhappy, I think of how I learned from those experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology