Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 12:07 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times

Advertisements

Wouldn't the same apply to men? Do we need to be so one-sided?

Why should we get caught up in appearance anyway? That's rather superficial. Look inside for what counts. This may be more about us that other people.

Old 03-16-2023, 12:12 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
An ugly man or average looking man who cannot get a woman is loathed and scorned, an ugly woman who cannot get a man is ignored. Still bad, but it's better to be overlooked than it is to be hated.
This is not true. Especially for an average looking person.

And I see a lot of really ugly men with hot girls in cars that cost more than $80k.

Old 03-16-2023, 12:25 PM

7,922 posts, read 3,462,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
This is not true. Especially for an average looking person.

And I see a lot of really ugly men with hot girls in cars that cost more than $80k.
Sure, that why I put the qualifier "who cannot get a woman" and included average looking men. An average looking woman can typically find a man, often easily. Those incel boys get heaps of scorn though.

Old 03-16-2023, 12:33 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Google "Ugly comedians" - most of them are or were married and I am almost sure they weren't rich. It works. Be funny and have something to offer that isn't based on good looks. Worst case - work your butt off and become rich. It is a leg opener.

And for every unattractive person there is a perfect other unattractive person just around the block.

Old 03-16-2023, 01:07 PM

4 posts, read 4,216 times
Quote:
Google "Ugly comedians" - most of them are or were married and I am almost sure they weren't rich. It works. Be funny and have something to offer that isn't based on good looks. Worst case - work your butt off and become rich. It is a leg opener.

And for every unattractive person there is a perfect other unattractive person just around the block.
So true. Also, a lot of women can still wear make-up , accessorize and look better. As for men, if you are ugly- you are ugly. Also, acceptance that looks aren't your strong suit and focusing on something else will actually help one mentally and might just make him/her attractive.

Old 03-16-2023, 01:07 PM

7,342 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marigodqew View Post
(venting here)
By that age I was 210 pounds and covered in cystic acne, my facial features were awful with a large nose, long face, no chin and an enormous forehead.

I had a very difficult hair type too- very coarse and could not really be tamed.

The older I got the worse my looks became, my acne got worse, I couldn't lose weight,

I grew facial hair and some how managed to get even uglier facially.

I've lost weight but will never be thin. My body has never been '''nice'' - it's just bad all around, weight loss or no weight loss and of course I'm still ugly.

Bad teeth too despite years of dental intervention. Hair is still horrible - I've always had that hair type that can break brushes in half.

I do wish society had more acceptance, belief and empathy for unattractive women. We do exist and sometimes no amount of ''glow ups'' will help us our genetics are such a way that improvement is hopeless. We're not all victims of self hatred and low self esteem either. Some of just want to have our story heard. Is it so hard to believe?
So When I was in eight grade, a lot of my big nose friends had nose jobs. Anyone with acne saw a dermatologist. Anyone overweight got dragged to Weight Watchers by their mothers.

My daughter had unibrow in sixth grade. I started her with waxing. It made a huge difference in her life. She has untamed hair so I was passionate about styling and haircuts every six weeks. She didn't have a chin either - but that's not as big of an issue as you might think. Good hair cut helps hide it.

I brought my son to a dermatologist for six months until his acne died down.

So to answer your question, many women have your issues. Their parents spent time and money fixing their issues. You are just starting out later.

Beauty maybe skin deep, but its a full time job!

Quote:
Google "Ugly comedians" - most of them are or were married and I am almost sure they weren't rich. It works. Be funny and have something to offer that isn't based on good looks.
Agreed. Very wise.

Old 03-16-2023, 04:02 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,404,546 times
I am sorry for what you've been through.. I know some people still frown upon plastic surgery, but I think it can really help in your case.. For example, you can fix your nose and weak chin. Yes, it's expensive, but it can change your life.. You can always put it on credit. And there's so many different treatments for acne and acne scars.. Go to a dermatologist.

Old 03-16-2023, 04:12 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,151,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I am sorry for what you've been through.. I know some people still frown upon plastic surgery, but I think it can really help in your case.. For example, you can fix your nose and weak chin. Yes, it's expensive, but it can change your life.. You can always put it on credit. And there's so many different treatments for acne and acne scars.. Go to a dermatologist.

Glad you mentioned this.

I had to have corrective dental surgery for my teeth and had cystic acne as a teenager.

I'm average looking and have discovered that in romantic relationships, people are seeking someone similar in physical appeal and pretty much everyone is willing to work on a LTR with someone having a compatible personality.

IOW.....there might be a level of superficial attraction at first, but long relationships and marriages rest on true friendship.

Old 03-16-2023, 05:29 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,034,410 times
Marigodqew

I hear you. You got dealt a below-average genetic hand as far as exterior physical looks.
There is no question but that women are judged SO much more for physical appearance than men are.
I have been complaining about this for so many years.

Being judged by potential mates is one thing but it is also used to keep women from earning decent money in a career and women already make 22% less than men. So unfair.

My grandmother, who I loved more than any other female relative, was not pretty and she was overweight as long as I knew her. She married my grandfather (my favorite male relative) and he was from a lower social class than her family and I'm not sure they were happily married but they were great grandparents to have.

I didn't care what my grandmother looked like but I think she felt like you do.
Her son (my father) married pretty woman (my mother) and that was an unhappy marriage.

I believe that as long as men run the world that women will be unfairly judged on their physical appearance.

Old 03-16-2023, 05:33 PM

72 posts, read 59,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
So When I was in eight grade, a lot of my big nose friends had nose jobs. Anyone with acne saw a dermatologist. Anyone overweight got dragged to Weight Watchers by their mothers.

My daughter had unibrow in sixth grade. I started her with waxing. It made a huge difference in her life. She has untamed hair so I was passionate about styling and haircuts every six weeks. She didn't have a chin either - but that's not as big of an issue as you might think. Good hair cut helps hide it.

I brought my son to a dermatologist for six months until his acne died down.

So to answer your question, many women have your issues. Their parents spent time and money fixing their issues. You are just starting out later.

Beauty maybe skin deep, but its a full time job!

Agreed. Very wise.

I saw dermatologists in my late teens early 20s but they weren't very much help. My acne was not responding to treatment. Took Accutane twice and did hormone treatments - failed. I did go for waxing but those appointments got pricy and I am very prone to ingrowns so it was irritating things a bit more.

Yes I dieted but had metabolic issues so the weight just piled on. Plastic surgery was way out of my price range even now. And there's so much more wrong with my face and body than I even mentioned there wouldn't be enough money in the world to fix it all. So the acceptance method is what I'm doing now.

Even my acne scars I've learned to accept. I did one pricy peel for them and it was a disaster - didn't work and instead irritated my skin. I've learned that pitted scars don't really go away with treatments afterall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology