Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 10:54 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,213,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Have you heard??? Tina Turner died today! EVERYONE with a SM account -- Facebook, Instagram, Twitter -- seems to be announcing it on his or her personal account. Why? Do they think this is breaking news? Do they believe they're the first to know and tell? Do they imagine everyone hasn't seen or heard it elsewhere already? Surely THEY have seen dozens of similar posts themselves.

I've always wondered why seemingly everyone does this every time anything newsworthy happens.

Theories?
Self centered people - they are just excited they have a chance to post something more significant than how many miles they ran, or what they had for breakfast or what their dog chewed up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2023, 07:32 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,603,481 times
Just checked my FB account - 1 person posted about her death, with 2 non verbal responses.

Checked on senior site 1, there is one thread with 40+ responses

Senior site 2, 1 thread with 5 responses

British Senior site, 1 thread, 17 responses

None of that seems excessive to me. Not sure why a couple of folks on here have their panties in a wad about it

YMMV

edited to add: There is a 3 page thread about her in Current Events

Last edited by Buckeye77; 05-25-2023 at 07:43 PM..

Old 05-25-2023, 08:56 PM

6,312 posts, read 4,216,254 times
Quote:
Have you heard??? Tina Turner died today! EVERYONE with a SM account -- Facebook, Instagram, Twitter -- seems to be announcing it on his or her personal account. Why? Do they think this is breaking news? Do they believe they're the first to know and tell? Do they imagine everyone hasn't seen or heard it elsewhere already? Surely THEY have seen dozens of similar posts themselves.

I've always wondered why seemingly everyone does this every time anything newsworthy happens.

Theories?
Well not everyone I know watches the news so friends sharing on their private social media accounts is like updating when you see someone irl. I announced the death of Rolf Harris for several reasons , nothing to do with your theory. Not everyone I’m friends with knows who he was , some did and it inspired quite a conversation. So yep if I do share it’s to share reminiscing and conversation . I don’t have a clue or care if it’s been blasted all over the internet, within MY circles it’s a point of conversation, connecting and what that persons art, music , films meant to them.

I mean why is it any different than on this social media platform? It inspires conversation, yes?

Old 05-26-2023, 09:42 AM

1,096 posts, read 585,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Well yesterday and today, my whole FB feed was Tina, yes like they were the first to post the announcement or picture or video. I don't get it. We all know it happened, Never saw her songs or videos posted before she passed, now that's all I see.
Ugh!
I remember when Michael Jackson passed, back when social media wasn't nearly as prevalent as it is now, and a young woman I knew was griping about how everyone was "suddenly" a big fan of his. Her issue was that she was a *legitimately* huge fan and this was somehow being diminished by the outcry over his death. I remember thinking that for such a huge fan, she had never mentioned him before in my presence.

Old 05-26-2023, 12:41 PM

3,822 posts, read 8,758,825 times
I think it's not unlike the old water cooler conversations - Hey did you watch Top Chef last night? I was surprised Joe Bob made risotto and scallops.

People bond with others over shared experiences - team wins, celebrity losses, etc

Old 05-26-2023, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
I think it's not unlike the old water cooler conversations - Hey did you watch Top Chef last night? I was surprised Joe Bob made risotto and scallops.

People bond with others over shared experiences - team wins, celebrity losses, etc

Old 05-27-2023, 07:53 AM

9,209 posts, read 6,264,285 times
Quote:
Well yesterday and today, my whole FB feed was Tina, yes like they were the first to post the announcement or picture or video. I don't get it. We all know it happened, Never saw her songs or videos posted before she passed, now that's all I see.
Ugh!

What is a FB feed?

There - problem solved.

Old 05-27-2023, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Ugh!
And did it spark a conversation or did you just ignore? I know with my Fb circle we talked about her life and the courage it took to walk away from an abusive marriage and reinvent herself. How she faced kidney failure, dialysis and dying and her dignity. I mean you don’t have to follow her ( I didn’t either ) to appreciate why others do or can appreciate her as a role model or the impact her music had.

Old 05-28-2023, 08:17 AM

12,880 posts, read 9,108,768 times
Quote:

Theories?
My theory is that since everyone that YOU know does it every time, then perhaps you're connected to people who think it's a big deal. On the other hand yours is the first things I've seen about so most I connect with don't do that. Conclusion: Some people like to talk about celebrities. Others don't.

Old 05-28-2023, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
My theory is that since everyone that YOU know does it every time, then perhaps you're connected to people who think it's a big deal. On the other hand yours is the first things I've seen about so most I connect with don't do that. Conclusion: Some people like to talk about celebrities. Others don't.
I rarely pay attention to celebs ,let alone instigate a discussion or gossip about them but like any news that makes headlines it’s going to come up online and off . I don’t know about others but I don’t limit my conversations to only things I’m interested in. I do tend to be a conversationalist though.

Last edited by Spuggy; 05-28-2023 at 10:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology