Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 07:01 AM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times

Advertisements

There will always be socioeconomic classes in every society for the very reason that some people are motivated to make more money than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 07:19 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, you are both normal, as is everyone in between. For some making money is what life is all about, but for many it's like the OP, just enough to get by is fine. The only problem is that you have to plan for the future, and if making "just enough" means no savings for retirement, it can be a real problem when you get old.
I agree. Unless you have a big inheritance or trust fund coming, eventually, your savings will need to "work for you" because you'll be too old to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Whatever you do decide to do becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
I concur.

Old 03-21-2024, 07:38 AM

3,524 posts, read 3,728,884 times
I don't know what it's like in Brazil, but in America, living a simple life is an undersold concept in a country that, from infancy, teaches you to "shoot for the stars, follow your dreams, and pursue your passions." The reality that most people the world over will lead unremarkable lives. It's always been that way.

Curious as to what specific incident or thought prompted you to post a thread about it, OP? It's normal to take a look at where we're currently at and whether that matches where we think we should be. Money may not buy happiness, but it does buy options which provides an aversion of the unnecessary hardship that accompanies poverty. Elon Musk has all the money in the world and has recently admitted that he suffers from depression on occasion, so a pot of gold isn't a panacea.

Old 03-21-2024, 10:30 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
About retirement, I'm fortunately in a situation where Brazil's social security system will just give me enough to keep my simple life when the time comes. Also, I have no kids and don't intend to have any. So, I have very little motivation to bother to make more money than I currently do.
While I don't think that anything is wrong with you (in response to your OP), I would caution against relying on a government retirement program that may not be there in the future. Yes, Brazil is not the U.S., but there are no guarantees in life. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Old 03-21-2024, 11:46 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post

Curious as to what specific incident or thought prompted you to post a thread about it, OP?
Yes!
Also, how old are you, OP?

Old 03-21-2024, 12:05 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
I'm a person who don't make a lot of money. Not because I don't have the skills and knowledge to make much more money than I actually do. I do have those skills and knowledege. I just don't feel any need to prove that I have them. I just don't bother to prove anything to anyone. I don't bother to make money. I just make enough money to live a simple life, and I'm happy with that.

Is this normal? Or do I have a medical condition?
You're fine. More than fine. People who obsess over money tend to be unhappy, stressed out, and end up with heart conditions.

If you do end up raising children -- which sometimes happens -- you might wish for enough resources to take care of them. But people raise families on little bits of money. There are all sorts of books and, these days, wonderful websites and videos discussing frugal lifestyles, being a cheapskate, living on pennies a day, etc.

Enjoy your life!

Old 03-21-2024, 12:40 PM

1,701 posts, read 781,038 times
Quote:
I'm a person who don't make a lot of money. Not because I don't have the skills and knowledge to make much more money than I actually do. I do have those skills and knowledege. I just don't feel any need to prove that I have them. I just don't bother to prove anything to anyone. I don't bother to make money. I just make enough money to live a simple life, and I'm happy with that.

What is money other than resources to protect you and those you love? You don’t need to prove anything (who cares about what others think?), but you do need resources $$ to take care of yourself. And, what are skills and knowledge other than traits which can “potentially” help you acquire these things?

Don’t ware yourself out to get wealthy or prove your worth to people who don’t care about you anyway, but DO utilize the skills you’ve attained to take care of yourself and/or those who depend on you.

Old 03-21-2024, 01:33 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:

Is someone you know saying that it isn't "normal"? Otherwise, why would you be questioning it?

I once had a job, and every time a promotion came up, one of the older women never put in for promotion. She was a good and reliable worker, and it would have meant a lot more money for her, and she kind of looked like she could use it. I asked her one day why she didn't put in for a promotion, and she said "I really like doing what I am doing." I didn't think she had any kind of "condition", and she always seemed happy at work. She was really nice and always helpful. I suppose many inquired about why she didn't put in for a promotion, but I don't think she or anyone else ever thought she had a mental health or emotional health issue.

Many people have skill sets that they don't use, so even that isn't that odd.

Tell the questioners, "It works for me."

***I have seen a lot of people worry about retirement, and a few never lived that long, but died with money in the bank. It isn't unusual for retired people here to return to a part-time job, and more for continuing to be a part of the real world and keep their minds active, than to afford groceries and utilities.

Old 03-21-2024, 02:13 PM

9,113 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:

Anything that doesn't harm you or anyone else is normal.

Are you asking if your work habits and drive are common, well that is another question.

Old 03-22-2024, 05:59 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I agree. Unless you have a big inheritance or trust fund coming, eventually, your savings will need to "work for you" because you'll be too old to work...
This was the motivating factor for me to work hard, persevere, live frugally, and to save & invest. Bad enough to be poor when I was a young adult. The thought of being poor and too old to work horrified me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology