Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM

2,057 posts, read 1,000,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I don't know why people would copy like that and show off that they are copying. I would guess it is a psychological issue with identity or maybe jealousy or even obsession. There is a difference between inspiration and straight up copying but some people maybe don't see that or don't care.
Or maybe for someone who isn't into decorating all that much, they see something and then go to Home Goods or Hobby Lobby and see that all the tchotchkes are basically the same?

Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM

28,928 posts, read 30,291,282 times
Quote:
stacey27520 get a used toilet or a spare tire, fill it with flowers and put it on your porch. Get a neighbor to rave about your eclectic style. See what happens!

Funny!

There are 3 ladies I'm friends with here and the one, well, we go to movies, or dinner....she's a hoot and she even commented on it...I won't discuss it with neighbors, I don't want anything to get back to her, I just change the subject or say, "I'd rather not go there" I don't do gossip...especially in a neighborhood.

Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,821,133 times
Here's an idea that may throw her - and likely the whole block - off track:
Get some cheap stuff, like ugly lawn ornaments, and see what she does!

It's a steal because ugly tree faces can double for Holloween!

I'm always of the opinion that rather than being pained by what I can't control I'd have a little fun with it!
But I don't sweat the small stuff, so..

Last edited by elnina; Yesterday at 11:00 PM..

Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM

10,770 posts, read 5,687,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
It constitutes an invasion of privacy as far as I'm concerned....I'm not talking about anything legal, sheeesh

again, other neighbors have seen her do it, she is known as the busy body in the neighborhood....I just happen to live across from her...
You know, you’re right. Invasion of privacy isn’t a legal issue, it’s a feelings issue. And an issue that only applies to other’s behavior, not one’s own.

Thanks for educating me.

Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
You know, you’re right. Invasion of privacy isn’t a legal issue, it’s a feelings issue. And an issue that only applies to other’s behavior, not one’s own.

Thanks for educating me.
Your more than welcome

Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,024,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Here's an idea that may throw her - and likely the whole block - off track:
Get some cheap stuff, like ugly lawn ornaments, and see what she does!
Do it! Pink flamingos, garden gnomes, etc.

Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,890,074 times
WOW! I couldn't care less if some neighbor chose to decorate something in the same manner I did. I'm also free to one-upmanship them if I choose. Frankly I wouldn't bother.

This thread reminds me why so many people on the planet struggle. Many of their problems are probably of their own making. Loss of intellectual property? OTOH, if you have too much discretionary $ lying around guess you could resort to patents and sue her.

Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM

7,624 posts, read 3,271,056 times
Well, she's more than a little nutty...

But, I think you both may have way too much stuff. I'd go on a stuff diet and sign up for Yoga and see if she follows you there.

I do not like invasive people either. It should be a cooperative natural thing to get to know your neighbor. Not someone placing demands on you the minute they meet you. I had a couple neighbor who came to my house when I was having some renovations done. "When can we see it?" I was like, you can't, it's not for sale. They sold the next summer (they were only interested to know if I was going to be competing with the sale of their house and what my house looked like). It was more than annoying.

Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Well, she's more than a little nutty...

But, I think you both may have way too much stuff. I'd go on a stuff diet and sign up for Yoga and see if she follows you there.

I do not like invasive people either. It should be a cooperative natural thing to get to know your neighbor. Not someone placing demands on you the minute they meet you. I had a couple neighbor who came to my house when I was having some renovations done. "When can we see it?" I was like, you can't, it's not for sale. They sold the next summer (they were only interested to know if I was going to be competing with the sale of their house and what my house looked like). It was more than annoying.
something similar happened to me once, I was just moving in and a neighbor knocked on the door and asked me if she could come in and see, and she was a minister's wife....lol, I said "NO" I'm just moving in today....(as if she didn't know)

I'm generally an open book, but I decide when and who, and if someone asks me personal questions about money, etc, I cut them off immediately....that is none of their business and I don't mind telling them so....

Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM

7,624 posts, read 3,271,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
something similar happened to me once, I was just moving in and a neighbor knocked on the door and asked me if she could come in and see, and she was a minister's wife....lol, I said "NO" I'm just moving in today....(as if she didn't know)

I'm generally an open book, but I decide when and who, and if someone asks me personal questions about money, etc, I cut them off immediately....that is none of their business and I don't mind telling them so....
Right. If you are moving or renovating it is one of the most stressful days of your entire life. So, right off the bat you know they are more than a little too self involved.

I have no friends that ask me about money. That's not really a friend subject. A friend subject is what's for dinner?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology