Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 07:14 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times

Advertisements

Definition: Urban Dictionary: woo woo

I know a bunch.

While it's sometimes fun to play around with Ouija boards and tarot cards for entertainment, I sometimes can't believe people supposedly take comfort and counsel from this stuff.

And, if I may generalize a bit...I rarely if ever see 'results.' The single people are still single, the fat still fat, the broke still broke, the lazy still lazy, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 08:30 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
I most often hear the un-doubled term, or simply "woo". But whatever you call it, I think humans are predisposed to it unless they are taught some intellectual rigor. It is human to be susceptible to confirmation bias, agency inference, and the like. It takes some effort to learn to be empirical, logical, and to have decent evidentiary standards in order to compensate for those perceptual quirks. Not everyone puts in the effort, or even knows to. But more and more people do, and the world is gradually improving because of that.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:24 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Life is boring. We want to be thrilled and amazed and we want to believe that there's more "out there" than the mundane realities of everyday life. Woo fits that bill. Nobody can actively disprove it as you can't prove a negative, and it gives us that fun, spooky, eerie little thrill. Mission accomplished.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:35 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,440,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post

I know a bunch.

While it's sometimes fun to play around with Ouija boards and tarot cards for entertainment, I sometimes can't believe people supposedly take comfort and counsel from this stuff.

And, if I may generalize a bit...I rarely if ever see 'results.' The single people are still single, the fat still fat, the broke still broke, the lazy still lazy, etc.
Some people believe communing with the spirits is crazy. Some people think using elements of the earth for guidance and healing is crazy. Some people think that believing a guy who died 2000+ years ago is somehow responsible for your eternal soul is crazy.

It takes all types.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:49 AM

997 posts, read 937,599 times
I do woo.

There are so many kinds of woo, and ways to do it.

There are many 'woo' beliefs that I don't subscribe to but I have been educated about them and I don't agree because I was taught a different system. I don't discard them out of ignorance. I don't talk about that stuff to believers because I can't support it. I let them be and don't ever impose my beliefs on them, or tell them that they are wrong. Maybe their beliefs have validity to them. I support their right to be however they want but I can't discuss it, because I can't agree.

People have a right to believe whatever they want. This is America, land of the free.

Your way is mundane. To me, that is blind, but to you it is the right way to be. That's fine, and how you are supposed to be. It isn't how I am supposed to be. Everybody is different.

Whether someone is mundane, or woo, you have to find common ground or none at all.

Last edited by Veronicka; 09-13-2016 at 04:27 AM..

Old 09-13-2016, 06:29 AM

997 posts, read 937,599 times
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...hol-laws-state

It says that all states have an age limit of 21 for alcohol but there are exceptions and that varies by state. Many states allow underage drinking at home but only a family member can serve the alcohol. I paraphrased but the link is provided.

That is the law. Kids will be kids and they don't always obey. Keeping them safe is priority number one.

It is tricky which is why I would want the 'don't ask, don't tell' policy but with guidelines. It was nice that he told his mom but that puts her in a bad place. Legally she can't give permission because that is contributing to the delinquency of a minor. I might discuss it hypothetically and keep the whole conversation hypothetical so communication can be accomplished without granting permission.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:01 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post

I know a bunch.

I really don't care if people want to believe things like Tarot card, Quija board or Psychics. Belief in that type of woo causes no harm to others.

But, people who believe in woo like naturopathic "medicine" or anti-vax woo that have no scientific validity and then spread it about like Gospel are dangerous to those that are weak minded enough to believe them.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:02 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
I think a person should not believe in something without seeing it work, personally.
I had a crystal/flower essence session a week ago today...and whoa..I still
feel like the day I had it...Chakras are open and aligned, so I'm told...my Blueprint frequency is quite high, so I'm told....All I know is I feel Grrrreat and clear and happy!
There were physical things that made my mouth drop, also.

Test things out, I say...then it's no longer believing in something someone else 'says'.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:07 AM

226 posts, read 199,002 times
I outgrew most of it. I am a certified naturopath and herbalist, and much of the plants and the medicine derived is effective and accurate. However, the rest of it involving spells, faeries, etc. is scary and actually demonic. I have come out the other side, I have seen a lot. I hope people use protection when choosing these practices. But from what I recall, they don't.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:12 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Things like astrology and tarot cards can serve a therapeutic purpose. Think of it as a kind of "talk therapy" that through the vagueness of the "predictions" you are forced to further think about the issues you have questions about. You can make the predictions whatever you want!

If they help you take some needed action - and that action IS taken by the person based on their interpretation of the vague advice - then I think that's fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology