Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 02:38 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times

Advertisements

Good article from P.T.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl...ew-coronavirus

I have 2 good friends and one is pretty OCD and seems to have gotten worse over the years and I've known her over 20 yrs BUT she is so so fearful and I believe it's her OCD.

I don't have a lot of fear but do take care. And have a good Strong Immune System.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 05:17 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Who said we were fearful? PT has to sell copy, just like everyone else. I take most of their stuff with a huge grain of salt.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:01 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,984,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Who said we were fearful? PT has to sell copy, just like everyone else. I take most of their stuff with a huge grain of salt.

...i'm not fearful either ruth, i pay no mind to the media either and i'm close to jamim's age, but come on, take a look around you really don't think a large part of the country is gripped in debilitating fear?...

Old 05-29-2020, 09:23 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Good article from P.T.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl...ew-coronavirus

I have 2 good friends and one is pretty OCD and seems to have gotten worse over the years and I've known her over 20 yrs BUT she is so so fearful and I believe it's her OCD.

I don't have a lot of fear but do take care. And have a good Strong Immune System.....
Hardly 2 paragraphs in and its obvious the author doesn't know the difference between fear and prudence.
I didn't bother reading beyond that.

anyway, OCD doesn't cause fear, fear is at the root of OCD.
Fear is a state of being.
whereas OCD is a symptom,

symptoms are surface indicators of a deeper problem, it doesn't go away left untreated its progressive, gets worse, it might morph into a different illness but its the same underlying cause (fear).

I have cancer, heart failure and a lung problem, what I don't have is fear because at the root of my state of being is experiential faith. Thats how people have ridden themselves of fear for thousands of yrs, its not exactly news. There is no pill that can touch the will or the self or can dissolve fear.

Old 05-30-2020, 09:11 AM

307 posts, read 100,024 times
Quote:
Me, too.

There used to be some really nice and useful articles there in the past, but lately one can really find ... anything.

Old 05-30-2020, 10:30 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,186 times
OCD is an anxiety disorder, not sure how that relates to Covid fears.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...i'm not fearful either ruth, i pay no mind to the media either and i'm close to jamim's age, but come on, take a look around you really don't think a large part of the country is gripped in debilitating fear?...
OK, on that challenge, I actually read the article. And to answer your question, I don't know that what I'm seeing is fear. I don't know anyone who's fearful, but I've heard of a lot of incidents at grocery stores, where people are behaving badly, screaming at staff, etc. I don't think that's a result of fear; I think it's caused by stress, distress (for those who became recently unemployed, or who can't handle isolation), anger. I'm told some of the anger is a result of the politicization of the public health crisis. IDK; I'm not exposed to the media much, so I can ignore whatever stirring-of-emotions is going on at that level.

I think, when a health emergency was first declared in March, the mobs at the stores filling their carts with sanitary supplies and food, were motivated by irrational fear. Was it fear of the virus, or was it fear of shortages (which in turn self-fulfillingly caused shortages)? I don't know. But I'm not aware of fear being part of the public psychology at this time. Even my friends and acquaintances in Seattle are still saying, it's all overblown. IDK what people in NYC are saying; maybe it's different there.

Am I fearful? Well, I don't want to get a hideous disease that can leave permanent damage to internal organs, even after recovery, or that's known to leave even young people struggling with chronic fatigue for months after "recovery". (The article doesn't even mention, that "recovery" in some cases is only superficial, and can leave lasting scars.) But does that cause me to go around in fear? No. Overall, I feel pretty safe.

I think if there's fear out there, in most locations that aren't hard-hit, it's more about fear of unemployment, fear for the future and for future stability/security, and that sort of thing. But the article is about fear of the disease. I'm not really seeing that, are you? "Debilitating" fear? Where do you live?

Old 05-30-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Hardly 2 paragraphs in and its obvious the author doesn't know the difference between fear and prudence.
I didn't bother reading beyond that.
Well said.

Old 05-30-2020, 12:19 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,023,763 times
Quote:
I am very selective on what I read/watch/listen to, and PT ain't one of them.

Overall I have never seen the good coming from ingesting article after article about things I'd rather avoid.

To me it's analogous to the old saw about hanging out in a barbershop day after day with no intention of getting a haircut...eventually you get a haircut.

Old 05-30-2020, 01:03 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,984,679 times
Quote:
OK, on that challenge, I actually read the article. And to answer your question, I don't know that what I'm seeing is fear. I don't know anyone who's fearful, but I've heard of a lot of incidents at grocery stores, where people are behaving badly, screaming at staff, etc. I don't think that's a result of fear; I think it's caused by stress, distress (for those who became recently unemployed, or who can't handle isolation), anger. I'm told some of the anger is a result of the politicization of the public health crisis. IDK; I'm not exposed to the media much, so I can ignore whatever stirring-of-emotions is going on at that level.

I think, when a health emergency was first declared in March, the mobs at the stores filling their carts with sanitary supplies and food, were motivated by irrational fear. Was it fear of the virus, or was it fear of shortages (which in turn self-fulfillingly caused shortages)? I don't know. But I'm not aware of fear being part of the public psychology at this time. Even my friends and acquaintances in Seattle are still saying, it's all overblown. IDK what people in NYC are saying; maybe it's different there.

Am I fearful? Well, I don't want to get a hideous disease that can leave permanent damage to internal organs, even after recovery, or that's known to leave even young people struggling with chronic fatigue for months after "recovery". (The article doesn't even mention, that "recovery" in some cases is only superficial, and can leave lasting scars.) But does that cause me to go around in fear? No. Overall, I feel pretty safe.

I think if there's fear out there, in most locations that aren't hard-hit, it's more about fear of unemployment, fear for the future and for future stability/security, and that sort of thing. But the article is about fear of the disease. I'm not really seeing that, are you? "Debilitating" fear? Where do you live?

..i confess i did not read the article...my assessment of what PT puts out is the same as kembro's...that being said i was commenting on the op's title...wasn't specifically speaking about the covid fear but surely that's part of it...my apologies to you...
...fear is a good thing, sometimes it will save your life, it did mine, however unwarranted fear is a needless stress on the mind and body...whether ones fear is unemployment, the future, food stability, pick anything, it's all fear, it all has the same detrimental effect on the organism.

...lol ruth, live on the Big Island of Hawaii at 5000 feet 22 miles from the summit of Kilauea...it's a beautiful sunny morning here...when i finish my cup of Ka'u coffee my wife and i will take the dogs down to the beach and run them for a bit, i'll take my morning swim then spent the day working outside in my gardens...great to be alive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology