Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2012, 05:16 AM

207 posts, read 243,885 times

Advertisements

Anybody have experience with Power Poles including MinnKota?
Looking at both 8 footers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 07:41 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,082,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt George View Post
Anybody have experience with Power Poles including MinnKota?
Looking at both 8 footers.
I use the Big House Power Pole. ;-) I'm sorry in advance for your bad thoughts - Not my fault.

I have an 8' fiberglass pole that I push down by hand, and it does a great job holding. The advantage of it is that it is fast and holds well in shallow water - plus you can tie off the front or the back of your boat depending on the direction of the wind or current. If you have the power pole that is automatic in the back of the boat you don't have that ability to face the boat - or let it turn into the wind or tide.

An it costs about $100 at Fishing Franks or Laishley's Marine in Punta Gorda.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:48 AM

I tried the CG power pole but limited to 4' not as young as I once was...
I do have a push pole which does the job, maybe I'll just stick to that
for a while....no matter with this weather. thanks

Old 06-24-2012, 10:56 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,082,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt George View Post
I tried the CG power pole but limited to 4' not as young as I once was...
I do have a push pole which does the job, maybe I'll just stick to that
for a while....no matter with this weather. thanks
Here its all sand, so its easy to stick it. And, fishing is great in 3-5' of water, so the push pole works for me. Its easy to use - sometimes I use the anchor and the push pole but usually I just use one or the other.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:56 PM

463 posts, read 866,623 times
Big house is right. Power poles are too short and too expensive.Get a stick it anchor and call it good.Thats what I use in the shallow water and a small mushroom anchor for the calm days in 10 foot or less or in the river and my stow away danforth for the days when the mushroom wont hold.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:58 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post

I have an 8' fiberglass pole that I push down by hand, and it does a great job holding......

An it costs about $100 at Fishing Franks or Laishley's Marine in Punta Gorda.
Yeah they are nice and work great, called Stick-It Pins Original shallow water anchor system makes anchoring fast, quite . I like anchoring off the bow...the Power Poles are only in the back, and they stick up so high they can get in the way (especially the 8'er)....plus they do break from what I've heard.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:16 PM

and insanely expensive...by the time you're done, close to two grand...for anchoring! nah........I'll
use my push pole and/or my two anchors.......hope to be doing a lot of shallow water fishing
anyway....

Old 06-24-2012, 03:56 PM

463 posts, read 866,623 times
I saw a picture of a remote control power pole that was accidently extended while being trailered. It wore the pole to a stub but I also read that it was replaced free by the company. We sell power poles and I could get a deal but the stick it works great for me. there is another company called wang anchor pins " hang out with your wang out" is thier slogan. Some guy on the hull truth sales some he makes them with a stainless tip.I have also seen some made of pvc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte