Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 11:40 AM

397 posts, read 813,732 times

Advertisements

Mine are ONE (1) inch thick solid with no build up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 07:42 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
The thickness of granite kitchen counters is an industry standard of 3/4". This is the thickness that is offered by every fabricating shop, everywhere. If you by a new, finished home and the builder says 'you get granite counters' they are 3/4" and probably don't have build up.
If you are remodeling and ask a shop for a quote, it will be for 3/4"
If you are remodeling and want a thicker counter [not just front build up] you can get what ever thickness you want as an option. If you think thicker is better, you can go to downtown Manhattan with a bulldozer and rip up one of the cobble stone [granite blocks] streets and bring them home for your kitchen. Those blocks are 6" thick.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:48 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
The thickness of granite kitchen counters is an industry standard of 3/4". This is the thickness that is offered by every fabricating shop, everywhere. If you by a new, finished home and the builder says 'you get granite counters' they are 3/4" and probably don't have build up.
If you are remodeling and ask a shop for a quote, it will be for 3/4"
If you are remodeling and want a thicker counter [not just front build up] you can get what ever thickness you want as an option. If you think thicker is better, you can go to downtown Manhattan with a bulldozer and rip up one of the cobble stone [granite blocks] streets and bring them home for your kitchen. Those blocks are 6" thick.
Go to any granite shop around and 80% of the stone is over an inch thick. The only thing I would ever use 3/4" for is a bathroom vanity top or bar-top with no overhang. IF I HAD to use it in a kitchen I would want 3/4" ply underneath for support and hide it with a strip, but in the end it is cheaper and easier (for the installers) to just use 1 1/2".

I agree 3/4" granite looks cheap, and I'd be afraid to put a heavy pot on it without the ply underneath. I went with the "eased" almost flat edging because it makes the granite look even thicker...routed edges make it look thinner. I like the flat edge better anyway, makes it look like stone and not something man made.

I understand 3/4" is the industry "standard", but your first post about there not being such a thing as "thicker" granite was either completely wrong or just mis-worded.

Thick or thin, I think the sub $1500 price for a granite install will definitely be recouped when selling, and make the sale much easier....depending on how bad the original tops were of course.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:41 PM

18 posts, read 30,364 times
I'm looking to relocate and if it's not a French door with the freezer on the bottom and brushed stainless,,,then it would mean nothing to me...actually...EVERYTHING depends upon the PERSON who is willing to buy your home. Your TARGET occupant...I want to totally redo my home to make it mine!...no white walls, YUCK! I want a Mexican flare...so if you put in new stuff...I would pass it by and go to the home that had the crappy fridge and counters that I could put in my colors. HOWEVER, if you offered an allowence for decorating or appliances, I'd go for it. But that's me. It's a tough call....personally I just want a home that I feel is CLEAN and well kept and maintained, I'll take care of the final touches.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:43 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
I agree Juliet. I've always thought that "staging" and everything they do on those "Sell your Home" shows is dumb. People come through and go "Ick! What ugly wallpaper!" and "That light fixture is hideous!" Do people REALLY pick a home on the colors and furnishings the current owner has???

Old 07-19-2012, 12:54 PM

5,173 posts, read 4,945,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
" Do people REALLY pick a home on the colors and furnishings the current owner has???
I just bought a house this past month. It is really in move-in condition. But, so far, I've painted over one wall papered wall and painted the living room and dining room different colors and am now starting to change the color of the trim on the outside. I've also removed the decorative shutters and am in the process of shopping for new exterior light fixtures (interior are next on the list). And that's just the start. So, I guess my answer to your question would be a "no".

Old 07-19-2012, 12:59 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
I agree. (obviously). So I don't know why people would go through "staging" to show their home. Yes, it should be clean and uncluttered, smell good, but on some of those shows they buy a bunch of new stuff. That's dumb.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:15 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I agree Juliet. I've always thought that "staging" and everything they do on those "Sell your Home" shows is dumb. People come through and go "Ick! What ugly wallpaper!" and "That light fixture is hideous!" Do people REALLY pick a home on the colors and furnishings the current owner has???

Didn't you get the memo? 90% of the people in this country are idiots!

Some people have no imagination, so yes, those people must like what they see.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:41 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,152,641 times
granitte is sold in 20cm (3/4") or 30cm (1 1/4") I disagree with the quote 3/4 is the industry norm. 30cm is absolutley the standard for kitchens and I would never 'downgrade' to 20cm in kitchens. bathrooms yes

Old 07-20-2012, 09:34 PM

18 posts, read 30,364 times
does it really matter how thick the granite is? It's a surface top for kitchen use, it's for aesthetic purposes mostly, it's not a pool table for accuracy! I wouldn't care what thickness it was, don't abuse counter tops. Most kitchen workers will never abuse, but we do want something durable and something stylish. I have never gotten my measuring tape out to determine if I liked a counter or not!!! Totally NOT a dealbreaker on the thickness!! Most cooks don't care!~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte