Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 07:02 AM

774 posts, read 1,780,701 times

Advertisements

Florida Teen Willow Tufano Buys Second Home - ABC News

(If ABCNews gives you a paywall, type "Florida Teen Buys Second Home" into Google instead of clicking the link)

There was a bunch of articles about this. She bought the first house for $12,000, spent $15,000 on repairs and then rented it out. This second house she plans to rent out for $800/mo after repairs.

1. Is Port Charlotte (and rural/coastal Florida) really this cheap?
  2. Was it a bad neighborhood? (As I understood it from the many news articles about this, it wasn't. I believe "Girard Court" was mentioned somewhere, but I can't find it on the map)
  3. Dilapidated crack house?
  4. Previously flooded and uninsurable?

What's the catch?

By the way, how much does electricity/AC typically cost (per year) in that area? What about a comprehensive insurance (hurricanes, flooding, etc.)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 08:02 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,011,993 times
Yes, everyone knows about Willow. There are some deals like that around (they are in your area too, you just have to look for them). They are not advertised. They are court auctions and you must be very familiar with these cash transactions or you could lose your butt. Thankfully for Willow, her mother is a RE agent/investor and facilitated the purchases. This is not for the entry-level investor.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Yes, everyone knows about Willow. There are some deals like that around (they are in your area too, you just have to look for them). They are not advertised. They are court auctions and you must be very familiar with these cash transactions or you could lose your butt. Thankfully for Willow, her mother is a RE agent/investor and facilitated the purchases. This is not for the entry-level investor.
Can't anyone hire a realtor to find great deals like this for them? Or will the realtor's fee eat much of the savings?

Old 11-09-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
Can't anyone hire a realtor to find great deals like this for them? Or will the realtor's fee eat much of the savings?
Nope. Realtors generally don't show auction properties to buyers, as they are not technically listed "for sale" on the MLS. Plus, depending on the property, the sales prices would be so low that the commission wouldn't even be worth the work. Also, a realtor can't "show" an auction property. They are locked up by the banks. No entry. No inspections prior to purchase. nothing. That's why it is high risk and not for the novice.
The really cheap ones are very old homes (1950s-60s) and generally in not-so-nice neighborhoods and usually need to be gutted. In contrast, a decent foreclosure up for auction, in a nicer neighborhood, that hasn't been vandalized, might go at auction for $70-100k and up, CASH only, due within 24hrs of auction close.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:00 AM

Who puts their property up for an auction without listing it in order to reach as many buyers as possible? Isn't it against the seller's interest to hide the auction?

I see "auctions" on a certain real estate listings web site (not sure if I'm allowed to link to it).

Quote:
Also, a realtor can't "show" an auction property. They are locked up by the banks. No entry. No inspections prior to purchase. nothing.
Why would the sellers prevent the buyers from looking at the property? It seems against their best interests.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:09 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,159,651 times
be warned....a lot of the auction propertys are with banks. they dont allow you in and disclose nothing.

I know of a property 'sold' at auction. found to have CDW which was not mentioned (caveat emtor at auction) though a blind man would have known it was bad.

sale fell through...seler informed why...CDW !!!! .........weeks later it was up again for sale at auction and - no mention again!!

Old 11-09-2012, 02:09 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,325,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
I know of a property 'sold' at auction. found to have CDW which was not mentioned (caveat emtor at auction) though a blind man would have known it was bad.
You should spell it out.

CDW = Chinese Drywall

more information: Chinese drywall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-09-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Who puts their property up for an auction without listing it in order to reach as many buyers as possible? Isn't it against the seller's interest to hide the auction?

I see "auctions" on a certain real estate listings web site (not sure if I'm allowed to link to it).

Why would the sellers prevent the buyers from looking at the property? It seems against their best interests.
Abdolutely no offense intended here, but if you think these are normal "sellers", than you need to learn a lot more abour RE. These are bank repos and tax sales. They are usually not sold through the standard MLS method.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Abdolutely no offense intended here, but if you think these are normal "sellers", than you need to learn a lot more abour RE. These are bank repos and tax sales. They are usually not sold through the standard MLS method.
I didn't say or imply that the seller must be an individual. Whoever the current owner is, why would they do anything that significantly reduces the buyers' interest in the property and lowers the expected sale price? Why would they try to sell at an auction that no one knows about and prevent the prospective buyers from inspecting the property? This doesn't make sense.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:23 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,031,739 times
Quote:
I didn't say or imply that the seller must be an individual. Whoever the current owner is, why would they do anything that significantly reduces the buyers' interest in the property and lowers the expected sale price? Why would they try to sell at an auction that no one knows about and prevent the prospective buyers from inspecting the property? This doesn't make sense.
I think many of these sub $20k house auctions are tax sales by the county. The county is just looking to get the owed back taxes plus expenses. I'm pretty sure the county must return any "profit" beyond that to the previous owner. Same goes with foreclosures on houses that had equity, the bank can only keep what they were owed and return the rest to the previous owner.

So in these cases, the "seller" really doesn't give a damn. Break-even is easier for them. In fact, many times the buyer IS the previous owner or family member, they already know what is on the inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte